Author Topic: avast! for Mac 9.0 released  (Read 27945 times)

Offline mity

• Avast team
avast! for Mac 9.0 released
« on: June 26, 2014, 06:22:31 PM »
Please note we have just released avast! for Mac 9.0.

It is available here: http://download.ff.avast.com/mac/avast_free_antivirus_mac_setup.dmg
(And it will be available from main http://avast.com website in couple hours when it propagates everywhere).

It is compatible with all OS X versions since 10.6.8 (including Yosemite developer preview 1 & 2).
Users with avast! 8.0 as well as users of 9.0 beta and beta 2 will get this update automatically.

9.0 build 42301:
  • Applications now signed with v2 signatures.

9.0 build 42061:
  • GUI: Fixed crash which occures on some machines,when entering the screen "My Devices".
  • New updated versions of browser avast! Online Security plugins bundled.
  • Huge amount of smaller bug fixes everywhere.
  • Business version (AABM) available now.

9.0 build 41877 (notable changes since 8.0):
  • New (and much nicer ;)) main UI.
  • Added command "Scan with Avast!" into Finder's context menu
  • Preferences has moved from System Preferences into the main application (menu Avast > Preferences)
  • No user registration required.
  • Complete support for 64bits. (In version 8.0 the antivirus engine was still running as 32bit for historical reasons.)
  • Many structural changes and fixes under the hood for higher stability and performance.
  • New major versions of browser avast! Online Security plugins bundled.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:26:26 PM by tumic »

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
Re: avast! for Mac 9.0 released
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 01:15:26 PM »
What about avast! Pro Antivirus for Mac? Download link?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 01:18:24 PM »
Click on the link in my sig, you'll find it there.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 01:29:56 PM »
Why

avast_free_antivirus_mac_setup.dmg is 129.024 KB and
avast_pro_antivirus_mac_setup.dmg is lower: 121.376 KB?

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 02:32:18 PM »
Is there anyway to force beta 2 to update to the release version? It's been over a day and it hasn't updated itself.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 05:17:37 PM »

The "pro" version will come during next week.

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 07:52:51 PM »
Hi Avast team,

Very nice UI and many thanks for great improvement. May i know whether new version of avast support for outlook application?
Because it seem that avast didn't scan my outlook.
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 01:48:12 AM »
Another question, in version 8 I had excluded '/Library/Application Support/Avast/files' from Time Machine backups so that I wouldn't wasting storage on hundreds of MB in outdated virus definitions.

In Avast! 9 the folder structure is very different. But I have identified:

/Library/Application Support/Avast/update-data
/Library/Application Support/Avast/vps/defs

As the folders that hold the virus definitions (almost 400 MB).

Are these safe to exclude from TM, by safe I mean in case of a TM restore will Avast be abel to recreate these folders upon updating?

Update:
I did a little experiment and deleted these folders, then proceeded to update virus definitions manually:
Code: [Select]
Connecting to repository http://download.ff.avast.com/mac/vps
Downloading vps.lat...
Fall back to full package download.
Downloading vps14062701.inf...
Downloading vps14062701.ful...
Success: VPS updated
Version: 14062701

The two folders were recreated.

Update2:
As for forcing the program to update (a question I asked earlier on the thread that got no response in the meantime) I ran:
Code: [Select]
sudo sh /Library/Application\ Support/Avast/components/update/update.sh
I do not recommend that anyone should reproduce what I described in this post without a confirmation from tumic, mity or another Avast! developer.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:32:36 AM by specimen9999 »

Offline AleksiM

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 08:15:21 PM »
Hi avast! team

I am glad to see You have released a new avast! for Mac, version 9.0. The new UI looks fresh and is easier to use than the old one. My avast! for Mac got updated today and so far I am pleased. However, avast! Online Security plugin got updated as well and now it has a very annoying feature – it does not remember the changes in its settings I have done. When I change the settings, it remembers the changes so far until I close the browser and open it again. I am using Safari 7.0.4. Any help?

Thank you!

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 12:55:34 PM »
hi, ever since installing the new avast for mac there is an avast extension for safari installed, how can i disable or delete that extension, because i find it annoying that the avast logo shows up on the left upper corner of safari whenever i go on a new website. thx in advance

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 01:17:57 PM »
hi, ever since installing the new avast for mac there is an avast extension for safari installed, how can i disable or delete that extension, because i find it annoying that the avast logo shows up on the left upper corner of safari whenever i go on a new website. thx in advance

The same way you disable and uninstall any other Safari extension.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 11:39:04 AM »

Are these safe to exclude from TM, by safe I mean in case of a TM restore will Avast be abel to recreate these folders upon updating?

Generally - yes, avast! will download and unpack those files if they are missing, but it is not
something we would guarantee to be true under all circumstances.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 11:45:41 AM »

Generally - yes, avast! will download and unpack those files if they are missing, but it is not
something we would guarantee to be true under all circumstances.

I'm sure you guys understand there is little point in having backups of virus defs (and the backups of the backups of vdefs in ../update-data) in TM, is there any possibility you can make it easier to exclude. What I would really like would be an option in Avast! preferences to exclude virus definitions (and their backups) from TM backups.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:51:02 AM by specimen9999 »

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 01:30:39 PM »

The same way you disable and uninstall any other Safari extension.

i went to safari/setting/extensions and tried to delete the avast extension, with the old avast extension i could just delete it there, however the new extension does not show up there so i don't know how to get rid off it, thx in advance

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 12:23:44 AM »
Hi - This past Friday (June 27th, 2014), my mid-2012 Macbook Pro laptop computer would no longer connect to the Internet. When I uninstall Avast! software, the internet connect works just fine.  I have been using avast! basic software for the last ~6 months without any issues at all (required for my job to remotely connect to my office desktop computer), so something changed last week.  Upon reading this post, I have to wonder if the automatic update to "avast! for Mac 9.0" on June 26th had anything to do with this sudden problem.  Can anyone offer advice on how to fix this?

What I have done so far:  Uninstall/re-install Avast!. Still doesn't work. Add Avast! to list of software approved to "automatically receive incoming connections" in the Security & Privacy conditions. No change. Visit Mac store have technician look at my computer....two techs looked at it and said all was running great except for when Avast! software is installed. Performed all Mac-recommended software updates. Rebooted my computer more times than I can count.

Please help, if you can. I desperately need a working anti-viral software for my Macbook (OS X Version 10.8.5), and I would prefer to stick with avast! if possible. With kind thanks and appreciation.