Author Topic: Remote Assistance  (Read 10749 times)

Offline /# Thomas #/

Remote Assistance
« on: June 28, 2014, 12:17:25 AM »
I do not usually need this from my work computer, as we use a combination of other remote access tools, typically. However, today I actually needed it to access an offsite machine. I just get the error:

Code: [Select]
Library aswAra.dll cannot be loaded. This
functionality will not be available.

I do not remember attempting to use this feature since installing the AEA Education license. Is this a problem with our AEA configuration, or is Remote Assistance just not available for AEA Education license?

It seems odd, considering it is available in the Free regular version of Avast, where I used it successfully in the past... Does it work for anyone else?

/* Thomas */

REDACTED

Re: Remote Assistance
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 06:49:17 PM »
We're having a similar problem.  At first we chalked it up to machines that we had removed kaspersky from.   But as we're rolling out fresh images, we're seeing it on some others as well.

Really wanted to be taking advantage of this feature.

Still looking for a solution!

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 03:44:47 PM »
* UPDATE *

We've discovered ( at least on the batch of machines we're currently testing ) that consistently the remote support will work when logged in as a local administrator.  Now, we have others that work all the time.  But the ones that are failing, appear to still work when not logged into the domain.  Doesn't matter if you're have admin privileges or not.  Still fails.

Don't know if that will help anyone or not.  But we're still working on a solution.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline /# Thomas #/

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 05:09:53 PM »
Not a single computer has worked for me using the Enterprise version/education license. I even tried with a brand new PC, not on the domain, local administrator log in. Still, Remote Assistance has the same error.

On the same computer, I completely removed the enterprise version and installed the free version, and remote assistance worked.

I completely removed the free version, installed the enterprise version, and it no longer works.

Very odd.

/* Thomas */

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 02:20:23 PM »
I have the exact same problem "Library aswara.dll cannot be loaded. This functionality will not be available" We need to have some insight from Tech Support about this issue so that we can narrow down what the issue is here. I am the IT Administrator and it does not even work for me either.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 08:54:59 PM »
OK.  I know that this is a peer-to-peer support forum, but I also know that there is a moderator. 

Can someone from Avast please weigh in on this?  Even a suggestion on which way to go would be helpful.  I can't believe that none of the educational customers paying for support, or even your business customers, have not run into this problem before.

Thanks!

Andrew.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 07:10:18 PM »
OK.  Bumping this up again.  I know we can't be the only ones having a problem with Remote Assistance.

Does anyone else have this thing working?  If you do, would you mind throwing in a post? 

Is anyone else even trying to use it?

Thanks!

Offline /# Thomas #/

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 06:31:50 PM »
To add to the quirkiness, I noticed the other day, when I installed a new client, the Remote Assistance was available at first. Then, I rebooted the computer. Afterwards, it presented the error/failed load.

Two days ago, it would have been useful for me. Instead, I ended up walking the user through installing TeamViewer so that I could remote to their offsite laptop. I agree, that it would seem odd that only three people experience the same exact problem.

/* Thomas */

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 08:10:47 PM »
Thomas,

Through some experimentation, I too have noticed some odd behavior.  We discovered that it seems to be working on one of our images after we sysprep it, but before we join it to the domain.

So peculiar....  Would be nice if someone would weigh in on this.  It scares me that I've seen other people with problems that don't even seem to get responses to actual trouble tickets.

I guess when we do next year's images we'll have to include another remote access solution.  We intentionally left something off this year because the "teamviewer styel" functionality was built into Avast.

Offline /# Thomas #/

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 09:46:00 PM »
A co-worker of mine pushed getting Solorwinds Dameware, and between that and Remote Desktop, work fine on the LAN. However, we also do not have an offsite solution for remote access. VPN works in some situations. We have about 50 laptops in use, including our own admin machines. Using this feature in Avast would make life simpler all around for cases where either we are offsite or the end user is offsite.

I would be interested to hear from someone who pays the support license, their experience with technical problems and Avast tech support response in their Enterprise deployment. I am trying to push the idea of purchasing a support license, but we have a systems administration approval group that is trying to force us back into Kaspersky because they already have licenses. We loaded up Avast Enterprise and removed all of our Kaspersky servers and clients because of our horrible experiences with it. Even with the few problems we have had, it does not even register in comparison to the bad experiences with Kaspersky.

That sidebar turned into a rant...

/* Thomas */

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 12:02:25 PM »
Anyone ever find out why or how to resolve this issue?

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 11:20:05 AM »
I'm guessing we still have no response from anyone regarding this...

Offline /# Thomas #/

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 02:23:48 PM »
Unfortunately, I guess not. Since I had to re-image a machine last week, I tested it again. Remote Assistance works as long as the machine is not on the domain. Once it was on the domain (after rebooting), it no longer worked.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 04:13:47 PM »
Same problem here. Remote Assistance just does not work. We are running Avast Endpoint Protection in SOA mode.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 08:49:06 PM »
A bunch of our machines magically started working in the last couple of weeks.  We have no idea why.  It's not even on computers that we've re-imaged lately.  They just started working.  I'm not holding my breath on it continuing.  But thought I'd share an update...