Author Topic: Avast Blocking Some Software: Exclusion List NOT Working  (Read 2496 times)

REDACTED

Avast Blocking Some Software: Exclusion List NOT Working
« on: June 29, 2014, 10:44:17 PM »
About a week ago a new error started popping up when I tried to use some software...

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the proper permissions to access them.

I checked all my permissions, even tried to reinstall the program to find I could not. Something was blocking the WinZip self-extractor.  Then another program went down.

I suspected my firewall... but that was not it. It was only by accident when I was installing a Microsoft fix for the error that I shut down Avast... and suddenly everything worked. I looked in Avast and found only an exclusion list that seemed applicable,  but adding the two programs did not help.

Is this a known bug? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Running Vista 32

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:41:08 PM by zombiegak »

REDACTED

Re: Avast Blocking Some Software
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 03:17:17 PM »
UPDATE: I went back into the exclusion setting...

SETTINGS > ANTIVIRUS > scroll down to EXCLUSIONS > FILE PATHS

What I put in a few days ago wasn't there. But then I put in the executables. This time I put in the entire file folder for the software I was having problems with. This worked. But still doesn't explain why I suddenly began to have problems starting a little over a week ago.

REDACTED

Re: Avast Blocking Some Software
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 11:39:47 PM »
And now.... the problem is back. The exclusion list is NOT working. Avast is again blocking the same programs unless I shut Avast down.

REDACTED

Re: Avast Blocking Some Software: Exclusion List NOT Working
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 06:09:46 PM »
Guess I'll have to push this post back up until I get an answer.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 06:13:04 PM »
when avast block, does it give a warning popup?
if so, what does it say? ...... post screenshot

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 03:27:51 AM »
when avast block, does it give a warning popup?
if so, what does it say? ...... post screenshot
Greetings Pondus... and thanks for responding. The only error message I got was in the original post... and it said nothing about Avast. I assumed it was a Windows error

It seems over the past 2 days or so... the problem has cleared up.... then when I just went to remove one of the programs off the exclusion list... the problem came back for both the program ON the list... and the one just removed. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 03:31:14 AM by zombiegak »