Author Topic: Avast UI opens after scheduled scan  (Read 27374 times)

REDACTED

Avast UI opens after scheduled scan
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:28:40 PM »
After a scheduled Quick or Full scan, the Avast UI opens to the corresponding Scan page.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit, free Avast version 2014.9.0.2021. No other Virus software has been installed on my machine.

Things I have tried:
1) Making sure that opening scan results after scan complete option is unchecked
2) Run Control Panel / Programs and Features / Avast - Repair
3) Remove Avast, reboot in safe mode, run avast_clear.exe, reboot, reinstall Avast, reboot, test

REDACTED

Re: Avast UI opens after scheduled scan
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 10:28:21 PM »
Hello, priest_lucas!

Another user and I noticed the same problem on the beta and Release Candidate builds and had a thread about it in the Beta forum since June 18.  Version 9.0.2021 came out a week or so after my first post, but it remained a problem through the beta and RC builds, and now in the official release, too.  There has been no official comment about it that I have been able to find.

So, it seems to be nothing in your avast! settings or on your system causing this (or, at least, not unique to your system).  I still eagerly await an update that will fix it!

Regards,
Crashman

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 12:43:55 AM »
More details about problem

1) This was originally reported in the Beta forum for 2014.9.0.2021 but not replied to
2) There is at least one other post in this section on the same problem
3) This opening of the interface did not happen in 2014.9.0.2018 and no other programs have been added since updated to 2014.9.0.2021
4) I know of three other people who have told me about this same behavior since updating

Hey Avast, any ideas?

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 08:09:38 AM »
Why was my prior response deleted from this thread?

Am I unwelcome to post my observations and opinions here?  I haven't posted anything radical.  What I said, that was subsequently deleted was:

Free software that is completely "set it and forget it" quiet can be forgotten.  This appearance of the UI makes sure we always know Avast is on task.

-Noel

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 08:28:09 AM »
Why was my prior response deleted from this thread?
None of your posts were deleted, guess you mean your post here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=151656.msg1101684#msg1101684
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 08:29:05 AM »
Thank you.  I stand corrected.  The thread was so similar I mistook the two for one.

-Noel

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 08:31:14 AM »
No problem.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 12:54:38 AM »
Update from Avast Technical Support:

It is normal behavior in the newest release.
 Are there any problems besides this?
 Is there any error notification?
 If so, could you please send me a screenshot or a photo of that?

So if I am typing in any other program and a scheduled scan finishes and opens the UI, whatever I am typing is now directed to Avast and not the program I was working in. Who would design a feature like this?

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 01:05:49 AM »
Um, welcome to Windows.  Windows itself is moving away from the unobtrusive notifications one used to get in the System Tray.  Don't look now, but it's no longer about you getting things done on your computer.  It's about the software company making as much money off you as they can as quickly as possible.

By the way, a scheduled scan doesn't always put up the Avast UI, so it seems one or the other behaviors can't really be "normal", unless it's conditional somehow. 

I do nightly scans, which run from about 6am to 8am, and today for the first time there was no Avast UI when I woke up the monitors as there has been for the recent past.  The scan completed and was clean, just as with prior mornings.

Go figure.

-Noel
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:07:34 AM by NoelC »

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 01:27:32 AM »
So the checkbox for "Automatically open the Scan Results when scan is finished" now means:

- if there are any results the Scan Results page will open
- If there are not any results then the page for the type of scheduled scan just run will open

This checkbox almost seems unnecessary now.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 01:30:55 AM »
Also, I fail to see any benefit to the user or to Avast when opening the scan page for the type of scan which was scheduled and completed.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 01:35:09 AM »
If there are not any results then the page for the type of scheduled scan just run will open

...except sometimes.  Today was the second time it did not do that.

Honestly, it just smells like a buglet in the application, and Avast is just covering it over with a blanket "that's normal" statement...  Along the lines of:

"That's not a bug, that's a feature.  It'll be fixed in the next release."

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 01:36:19 AM »
I hope it is fixed and put back to the behavior of past versions.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 06:40:05 AM »
Count my vote as another in favor of returning to the old behavior.  I can't imagine why popping up the entire UI in the user's face would be needed to provide an indication that a scan has just finished and no problem was found.  It is really very annoying if the scan occurs when someone might be using the machine, and in any case rather unnecessary.

As I said in another post, if the scan detects a problem, then I can at least see an argument for opening the main UI to alert the user that some action may need to be taken as soon as possible.  But, if the scan was clean, there is absolutely no need to notify the user of that immediately, and particularly not in an obtrusive way that interferes with whatever else may be occurring on the screen.

If you really want to put an immediate visual notification on screen that a completed scan has found no issues, how about a compromise?  Maybe a SMALL balloon popup above the avast! tray icon bearing the simple message "Scan completed - no problems detected!" that could remain on the screen until dismissed by the user by clicking its close button?

Surely there must be some compromise that could make everyone at least somewhat happy...

Crashman

Offline rmburton

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 04:29:01 PM »
I am have the same problem with the UI opening after a custom scheduled scan.  Irritating to have to close a window every morning that I should never see.

RMB