Author Topic: Avast UI opens after scheduled scan  (Read 27491 times)

Offline merckxist

Re: Avast UI opens after scheduled scan
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2015, 07:11:30 PM »
@priest_lucas Thanks for letting us know that someone with Avast! is actually aware of this inconvenience. Looking forward to the fix in the next release.

Offline merckxist

« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2015, 06:48:01 PM »
I heard from Lukas at Avast and he said this will be fixed in the next release, sometime in June or July

Here it is, July and a new release, but not fixed for me. The first scheduled scan after installing 10.3.2223 produced the "scan results" pop-up and I have the Settings:General:Automatically open the Scan Results when scan is finished check box unchecked.

@priest_lucas are you still able to contact "Lukas at Avast" and find out what happened to the fix?

REDACTED

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2015, 09:07:30 PM »
I have already been in contact with Lukas and Miroslav about this problem not being fixed in latest release. No new estimate on a solution.

Offline merckxist

« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2015, 12:14:32 AM »
@priest_lucas Thanks for following up!

A few details. Updated prior version with offline installer, custom install w/shields and just a small group of features. Have since performed safe mode uninstall (latest avastclear) and reinstall (same offline installer) with configuration reload. I will let the daily scheduled scan continue for a few days and see what happens with clean install.

Edit: No cigar w/clean install. First scheduled scan after re-install produced UI popup.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:08:08 PM by merckxist »

REDACTED

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2015, 02:48:27 PM »
Heard back from Miroslav, and the problem is not reproducible in house. It was found in the scan logs I sent that hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys could not be scan because they were being used by another process and this may be why the UI opens.

On Miroslav's advice I will try to disable hibernation mode and virtual memory to see if this solves the problems. If anyone else seeing the UI open automatically can also try this and include the results here it will be helpful.

Offline merckxist

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »
Perhaps there are different issues being attributed to this topic. I do not get the UI after EVERY scheduled scan, only from time to time. The suggestion from Miroslav would seem to be relevant to the UI showing up after every scheduled scan. Since I don't modify hibernation mode and/or virtual memory settings on a routine basis I'm not sure how those settings would intermittently induce the UI to show up after a scan.

Apologies if I've piggy-backed onto a "every time" scheduled scan issue. Can this be clarified??

REDACTED

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2015, 01:28:35 AM »
In my case and for other people I do technical support for, the UI opens after every scheduled scan completes (quick and full).

I tried Miroslav's suggestion to turn off hibernation mode and use of virtual memory but this didn't change the UI opening after the next scheduled scan. I made the changes to hibernation and virtual memory, turned off the computer, waited a few minutes, turned machine on, and let scheduled scan start and finish without opening any programs.

REDACTED

« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2015, 12:26:25 AM »
I added c:\pagefile.sys and c:\hiberfil.sys to exclusion list for scheduled quick scan and both yesterday and today the UI did not open after the scheduled scan completed. I will continue to see what happens, but it would be helpful if others can try adding these two exclusions and see if they get the same results.

REDACTED

« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2015, 03:49:44 PM »
According to Miroslav at Avast, the UI should not open if one or more files could not be accessed during scan. Why adding these two files to exclusion list could make a difference is unknown.

REDACTED

« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2015, 09:17:46 PM »
On three different computers after adding exclusions mentioned earlier, the UI opened after scheduled scan completed.

Offline merckxist

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2015, 01:20:45 AM »
I added c:\pagefile.sys and c:\hiberfil.sys to exclusion list for scheduled quick scan and both yesterday and today the UI did not open after the scheduled scan completed. I will continue to see what happens, but it would be helpful if others can try adding these two exclusions and see if they get the same results.

Just curious if the UI has since opened again on this system after the files were excluded. You noted several posts later that 3 (other?) systems had the UI open after the files were excluded. The reason I ask is because on my system where the UI had been opening intermittently (before latest version), the files are/were already excluded. I still haven't had the UI open since the first scan after the install(s) of the latest version  (exclusions in place). Just looking for some common behavior.

REDACTED

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2015, 03:24:05 AM »
What I need to do is look at the three computers where the UI is still opening when a scheduled scan completes and review the report file to see if there are other files that cannot be accessed like pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys were on my machine.

Since adding these two files to the exclusion list on my machine the UI has not opened; maybe there are other files on the three machines that need to be added beyond these two known ones.

REDACTED

« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2015, 03:41:30 PM »
According to Miroslav, they have reproduced the problem on their reference computers and once a fix is found by development it will be available in an upcoming release.

Offline merckxist

« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2015, 06:33:52 PM »
According to Miroslav, they have reproduced the problem on their reference computers and once a fix is found by development it will be available in an upcoming release.

Hopefully, the fix won't be too difficult. My "grace period" just expired; the UI opened after the most recent scheduled scan, even with the exclusions in place.

REDACTED

« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2015, 08:03:47 PM »
UI has started opening automatically after scheduled scan, even with exclusions.

Hopefully problem will be solved in next release