Author Topic: p2p protection  (Read 12140 times)

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
p2p protection
« on: October 21, 2003, 09:24:46 PM »
when i open the avast icon in the system tray and click p2p shield it says that there were no last files scanned but ive been downloading from kazaa lite and winmx and completed the downloads,shouldnt there be files that were scanned or last scanned file listed there,is there a setting or something i have to set,thanks brian

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:p2p protection
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 09:32:01 PM »
when i open the avast icon in the system tray and click p2p shield it says that there were no last files scanned but ive been downloading from kazaa lite and winmx and completed the downloads,shouldnt there be files that were scanned or last scanned file listed there,is there a setting or something i have to set,thanks brian

Are you shure that when you download the files the p2p shield was enabled?
If yes, this seems to be an old known problem of the Simple User Interface (other users does not get the "Date of the last Scan", for instance).  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 10:49:00 PM »
bri, what OS are you using?
And which version of avast, exactly?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 11:03:22 PM »
yes i have it enabled and im using windows xp pro and avast pro 4.1.280 virus defs updated on 10-21-03.

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 01:33:34 AM »
any ideas?the p2p scanner listed a couple of items scanned and when i restarted the computer its back to not scanning or listing anything,it seems like the standard shield is scanning my file sharing(p2p)downloads not the p2p scanner.

Walker

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 01:45:01 AM »
I'd never looked at that before, but I'm pleased to report  :'( my p2p lists no activity (files scanned etc) either.  :o
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 01:45:32 AM by Walker »

doggeral

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 03:34:19 AM »
If using Kazaa Lite K++ Note this is technically different than just plain Kazaa Lite or K++, but most of you are likely using this now anyway.

(I found this out troubleshooting something for someone else I personally don't use Kazaa, but installed multiple versions for some testing.)

Versions prior to 2.4.3 were not picked up by avast.   I never looked into it any further than this, but I know that for a fact.  

Like I said I never use Kazaa network so I cant' speak to anything after that.

Never had troubles with Winmx which I do use on occasion.....Do you have Windows XP or 2000 would be my first question with that.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 03:36:14 AM by doggeral »

Walker

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 03:38:47 AM »
I've not tried any Kazza versions and I don't use p2p very often. When I do it's gnucleus and xp

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 04:23:22 AM »
thanks for posting doggeral,your exactly right i must be using the version your talking about from kazaa(note)because when i started up winmx the p2p scanner started scanning and the kazaa lite is being scanned by the standard shield not p2p scanneris there a different kazaa lite and thanks for responding brian

shgoh

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2003, 04:39:14 AM »
any ideas?the p2p scanner listed a couple of items scanned and when i restarted the computer its back to not scanning or listing anything,it seems like the standard shield is scanning my file sharing(p2p)downloads not the p2p scanner.

i thought the p2p scanner should not show/list any files scan whenever u reboot??... ???...it only start listing files when kazaa is started isn't it?...???...i thought rebooting always reset those files listed on the p2p scanner?...???

btw....my avast version 4.1.280 working fine with kazaalite k++ 2.4.3... ;D

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2003, 07:59:28 AM »
i doesnt list anything after reboot all the scanners clear themselves but im using kazaa lite++ 2.4.1 and it never lists anything for it (when downloading)on the p2p scanner my standard shield is scanning it it must be the version of kazaa lite,p2p scanner is scanning winmx just fine.

shgoh

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2003, 08:02:45 AM »
i doesnt list anything after reboot all the scanners clear themselves but im using kazaa lite++ 2.4.1 and it never lists anything for it (when downloading)on the p2p scanner my standard shield is scanning it it must be the version of kazaa lite,p2p scanner is scanning winmx just fine.

ok...try klite 2.4.3 then....best of luck.. :)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2003, 09:03:32 AM »
bri, when you open the Task Manager while running KazaaLite, what is Kazaa's exact process name? [on the Processes tab].

Also, please verify that the version of file \windows\system32\drivers\aswmon2.sys is at least 4.1.274 (in the Explorer, right-click the file, select Properties and then Version).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2003, 01:33:59 PM »
heres the info vlk,in processes kazaa lite is-kazaa.kpp and the file version for windows\system32\drivers\aswmon2.sys is-4.1.274.0,the reason i know that standard shield is scanning them not p2p is that the download names(numbers)are being listed in the standard shield scanned and last scanned plus avast has already nailed a couple of viruses from kazaa lite.

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2003, 01:43:25 PM »
just downloaded kazaa lite version 2.4.3 and the p2p scanner is scanning them,all is well and thanks everybody for responding ,brian