Author Topic: avast scanning program files folder, and windows exe - startup  (Read 8570 times)

lister

Re: avast scanning program files folder, and windows exe - startup
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2005, 06:14:23 PM »
actually, found this
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/benchmark.mspx

Boot Prefetching
Windows XP speeds up system boot by observing the code and data needed each time the system is booted and prefetching the necessary file contents early in the boot process. This prefetching is not done until the third boot of the system, when sufficient information is available to make the prefetching most effective. The files observed during system boot will be used in the disk layout process mentioned above. Additional information on the prefetcher and the Windows XP boot process can be found at Fast Boot/Fast Resume for the Windows Platform.

Application-Launch Prefetching
Windows XP also uses prefetching when launching applications. The files and the contents of the files accessed by each new process are observed and recorded. No prefetching can be done for the first launch of an application, so first launches are often considerably slower than subsequent launches. About 85% to 90% of the improvement is realized after just one launch of an application, with the remaining speed improvement coming after the system has had an opportunity to adjust the disk layout with information specific to this application.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast scanning program files folder, and windows exe - startup
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2005, 06:43:38 PM »
I recreated my Prefetch folder and layout.ini file (did do 3 reboots and opened the programs I use regularly, etc. to get them in to prefetch) now my scanned total has increased by about 50, not decreased as it now scans the .pf files as they are accessed. There are currently 5+ .pf files and layout.ini in the prefetch folder.

No noticeable difference on boot times, but my system has many default processes that aren't required disabled. However, haven't timed or run bootvis to see for certain if the boot times are improved.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security