Author Topic: Firewall Won't Turn on  (Read 14087 times)

REDACTED

Firewall Won't Turn on
« on: July 07, 2014, 06:08:40 PM »
I just did an update on my avast premier and now my firewall won't turn on I would rather use the firewall with this program than use the windows firewall can someone help me?
I tried turning it on manually I even tried to restart avast and also tried restarting my laptop. It has window 8.1 operation system if that has anything to do with it.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Firewall Won't Turn on
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 06:54:21 PM »
I just did an update on my avast premier and now my firewall won't turn on I would rather use the firewall with this program than use the windows firewall can someone help me?
I tried turning it on manually I even tried to restart avast and also tried restarting my laptop. It has window 8.1 operation system if that has anything to do with it.

Try a 'Repair' of the Avast installation.
Go to Control Panel/ Programs and Features/ Avast and choose Change. Using the scroll select "Repair" and follow instructions.
You can also double check Windows Defender just to make sure it's turned off (it should be)

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 07:27:09 PM »
Thank you for the help. That fixed the problem.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 05:37:49 PM »
You're welcome. :)

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 06:45:28 PM »
Tried this myself but it still doesn't fix the problem.

Interestingly, the problem seems to be linked to a subscription renewal issue - suddenyl today (my Premier sub should auto-renew on 02/11/14) I opened up to find the firewall turned off, my sub converted into a 'Trial 30-day' service, and an invitation to buy Premier at a reduced rate. After several tries to get the firewall back on I deduced that turning it off might be a subtle (not) hint to renew, so I've reluctantly done that, losing 15 days' of my annual sub for the second year in succession.

Although my network check gives a clean bill of health, the firewall message is that 'Secure DNS can't run on this network' whatever that implies. I've been an Avast fan for five years but these last two renewals are making me wonder.

Any additional suggestions very welcome. I seem to recall once being advised to switch off the Windows Firewall in early free Avast versions, but I don't want to do that right now when it wasn't necessary yesterday with Avast running alongside with its own firewall.