Author Topic: Avast security settings keep resetting  (Read 5033 times)

REDACTED

Avast security settings keep resetting
« on: July 11, 2014, 03:35:28 PM »

[Reposted from another forum]

Avast Version 9.0 (41877).  Mac OS 10.6.8.

Every time I load my browser (or perhaps twice every day) Avast opens a new window and confirms my security settings.

Unfortunately, I do not want the default security settings and so each time change them to the settings I want.  Avast appears to accept this and for that session at least shows the settings that I have selected.

However, the next time I load my browser (or perhaps the next day) Avast opens another new window and shows me the security settings again, which have been reset to the unwanted defaults.

What am I supposed to do?

If this keeps up I will de-install the program.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast security settings keep resetting
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 04:29:16 PM »
Make sure that cookies set by avast are not deleted.
That should/could solve it.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 11:47:16 AM »
Hi Eddy,

Well, thanks for that.  I will try it as a controlled experiment.

However, I delete all cookies from my browser(s) several times a day and so this may not be a workable solution.  In any case, the Avast software is installed on my machine and so surely it should store such settings in the System folder, or wherever all other installed software programs store their particular settings.

Saving these details in cookies does not seem to be a sensible approach.  A sceptic might come to the conclusion that Avast is keen to ensure that the default low-privacy settings remain and do not get changed by the user!

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 10:46:09 AM »
No ... the security settings in question do not appear to be stored in cookies.  (For a short while) Avast remembers the settings I choose even though all cookies have been deleted.

Of course, Avast then goes on to forget my required settings every day or so and to reset them to a less-private set that it seems to prefer.

If you want to see the dialogue I am talking about follow this link:

http://aos.avast.com/upgrade/5010

At the bottom right of this webpage there is a link called Enable and Disable Services in Settings.  If you click this you go to a second page where these security settings appear to be set (and reset).

Anybody else gttng this problem?

Any ideas how to fix this, i.e. how to insist that Avast remembers the security settings that I choose?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 01:55:51 PM »
Tried a repair of avast or perhaps a clean install ?