Author Topic: How in the heck to remove SafePrice?  (Read 21412 times)

REDACTED

How in the heck to remove SafePrice?
« on: July 13, 2014, 04:14:54 AM »
I hate the new Safe Price extension and I don't know how to disable it in Safari. I looked under my Safari preferences, and in the extensions tab, I can only disable or uninstall Avast but can't disable Safe Price separately. Help! I'm close to uninstalling Avast because of this.

REDACTED

Re: How in the heck to remove SafePrice?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 06:27:01 PM »
Thanks Eddy, I read the blog. But in reading the directions, I did not find any of the options to uncheck SafePrice. It was either turn off all of Avast or none of it - no separate setting for SafePrice. When installing Avast, it did not give me the welcome layer and the option to deactivate it. Could this be because I have the free version?

<<How can I deactivate SafePrice?

When SafePrice is initially installed, you are shown a welcome layer which explains SafePrice’s functions, including how to permanently deactivate it. If you don’t want to receive SafePrice recommendations, you can disable them directly in the settings of the avast! Online Security web browser protection plugin. In the browser plugin’s settings there is a menu where you can remove the check-mark next to SafePrice, permanently deactivating it.>>

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 05:07:39 PM »
Thanks Eddy, I read the blog. But in reading the directions, I did not find any of the options to uncheck SafePrice. It was either turn off all of Avast or none of it - no separate setting for SafePrice. When installing Avast, it did not give me the welcome layer and the option to deactivate it. Could this be because I have the free version?

<<How can I deactivate SafePrice?

When SafePrice is initially installed, you are shown a welcome layer which explains SafePrice’s functions, including how to permanently deactivate it. If you don’t want to receive SafePrice recommendations, you can disable them directly in the settings of the avast! Online Security web browser protection plugin. In the browser plugin’s settings there is a menu where you can remove the check-mark next to SafePrice, permanently deactivating it.>>

Just remove the extension from the browser like you do with any other extension, it does not affect your security.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 05:53:33 PM »

Just remove the extension from the browser like you do with any other extension, it does not affect your security.

I'm running Safari 7.0.5 on OS X 10.9.4 and also had no option to enable/disable SafePrice. I went to the Extensions tab of Safari Preferences and saw no option for just SafePrice — only avast! in general. I have been a very happy avast! user for many years and have recommended it to my family and friends but SafePrice has changed all that. I've uninstalled avast! and switched to the free Norton suite provided by my cable company. I cannot fathom how the powers-that-be at avast! would believe their users would want their security software to know when they might be shopping and suggest other shopping sites. But then maybe eBay has purchased avast! — hmmm.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 08:34:53 PM »

I'm running Safari 7.0.5 on OS X 10.9.4 and also had no option to enable/disable SafePrice. I went to the Extensions tab of Safari Preferences and saw no option for just SafePrice — only avast! in general. I have been a very happy avast! user for many years and have recommended it to my family and friends but SafePrice has changed all that. I've uninstalled avast! and switched to the free Norton suite provided by my cable company. I cannot fathom how the powers-that-be at avast! would believe their users would want their security software to know when they might be shopping and suggest other shopping sites. But then maybe eBay has purchased avast! — hmmm.

The avast! browser extension doesn't add much to security, only does the page ranking thing and SafePrice, the Web Shield (or Mail Shield and File Shield) operates independently of the browser extension.

Your issue would've been easily resolved with the removal of the browser extension.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 11:41:43 PM »
<<The avast! browser extension doesn't add much to security, only does the page ranking thing and SafePrice, the Web Shield (or Mail Shield and File Shield) operates independently of the browser extension.

Your issue would've been easily resolved with the removal of the browser extension.>>

You don't seem to understand the point that on our Safari browsers, we DO NOT have the ability to just remove the browser extension. The only option that it gives me is to delete Avast or enable it - no choices to separately turn off SafePrice. That's the whole problem.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 12:57:48 AM »
<<The avast! browser extension doesn't add much to security, only does the page ranking thing and SafePrice, the Web Shield (or Mail Shield and File Shield) operates independently of the browser extension.

Your issue would've been easily resolved with the removal of the browser extension.>>

You don't seem to understand the point that on our Safari browsers, we DO NOT have the ability to just remove the browser extension. The only option that it gives me is to delete Avast or enable it - no choices to separately turn off SafePrice. That's the whole problem.

I don't what!? I'm running Avast in my mac and I've uninstalled all avast! browser extensions (Chrome and Safari), you seem to be very confused. Removing the Avast extension does not hinder your protection, you don't need it, like I said, the only thing it does is rank pages and SafePrice.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:00:38 AM by specimen9999 »

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 10:53:31 PM »
Click AVAST button on Safari toolbar.
Green topped window down right side of page. Bottom right corner. Click settings.
Scroll to bottom of page. Uncheck Safeprice box.
Job done!

Finish by emailing Avast & telling them that they made you mad & if they do it again, you'll kick their asses!

Cheers, Dave.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 12:27:45 AM »
Safeprice. . .just one more nail in the coffin for me with Avast. . . one more bit of hard evidence that Avast DOESN'T GET IT. . and doesn't give a shit about their customers. . HEY AVAST. ..did I tell you I'm gone??. . .not renewing. . ever. . .BE ASHAMED!!

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 06:01:44 AM »
Buggeredifino, thank you so much for taking the time to give me step-by-step directions. The problem I am having is that my screen and settings look nothing like you describe when I click the Avast button on the toolbar. There is no green topped window, no settings button and no box for Safeprice. I'm  not sure why mine looks different than what you describe. But I think I will write to Avast and tell them how unhappy I am. Thank you again for trying to help me.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 12:58:32 AM »
http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/safariplugin.htm

Eddy, you are not a Mac or a Avast! for Mac user are you?

Avast for Mac installs an EXTENSION in Safari, Chrome and Firefox, not PLUG-IN.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 02:49:40 AM »
Click AVAST button on Safari toolbar.
Green topped window down right side of page. Bottom right corner. Click settings.
Scroll to bottom of page. Uncheck Safeprice box.
Job done!

Finish by emailing Avast & telling them that they made you mad & if they do it again, you'll kick their asses!

Cheers, Dave.
Holy crap! Thank you!!

Offline Jaggwire

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 03:03:22 AM »

I don't what!? I'm running Avast in my mac and I've uninstalled all avast! browser extensions (Chrome and Safari), you seem to be very confused. Removing the Avast extension does not hinder your protection, you don't need it, like I said, the only thing it does is rank pages and SafePrice.
But I LIKE page rankings. Why do I have to give up that feature in order to get rid of SafePrice??? (I'm a paid Avast subscriber, btw. I should be able to keep active the parts of the program I like.)