Author Topic: Avast wont let it be!  (Read 6777 times)

REDACTED

Avast wont let it be!
« on: July 13, 2014, 03:29:45 PM »
Hello!

I have a file, picture converter, that converts standard JPG image in to the format for Oric Atmos computer. (Yes, that's right, an Oric Atmos, computer from 1984!)

This file is not a virus! I have been using this file for more than 10 YEARS and it never produced any harm!

But Avast wont let it be!!!

Avast keeps deleting this file, and only way I can have it is to turn down the avast protection
!
Can I "tell" avast NOT TO INTERFIER with this file???
Avast version that I use is 7.0.1474 and virus definitions are 140711-1

P.S. Virustotal raports that this file is NOT a virus!
When I do a MANUAL scan in Avast, then my Avast also raports that the file is CLEAN!
ONLY AVAST'S AUTOMATIC PROTECTION THINKS IT LOOKS SUSPI|CIOS AND DELETES IT! :(
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:42:30 PM by BulmaSoft »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast wont let it be!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 03:45:28 PM »
First update avast as well as the definitions (vps), then check if it is still flagged as malware.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 01:51:02 AM »
I will update my version of Avast... in 2 or 3 years from now...
Or to be more precise, when ever Virus Definition Files become incompatible with this version of the Avast, then I'll consider update of the program...

In the mean while, there are no other sugestions...?
Why can't I have an exclusion in THIS version of Avast?!?

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 04:21:04 AM »
Why do people insist on crying for new features in outdated software?

Who would benefit from the engineers putting a whole bunch of effort into adding new features to an old version?  Did you ever think that maybe they made a new version because that was the best (or only reasonable) way to add new functionality?

Seriously, given that you're not happy with the exclusion features in the old version, and knowing the new version has them, what possible justification could you have for not upgrading?

Or put another way...  If not for need of new features a new version has, what criterion DO you use to decide to upgrade something?

-Noel
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:33:35 AM by NoelC »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 02:06:56 PM »
You are using that application for over 10 years.
You are using a approximately 1.5 year old version of avast.
You never had a problem with the two?
If so, guess what most likely is causing it.... Your old vps.

And for your avast version, you can't expect a old car to perform the same a brand new one.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 03:59:53 PM »
Well, I'm just searching for the "exclude" option in the app :)
10 years ago I used Norton2003 Antivirus.
And it had an exclude option.
I guess that Exclude could be handeled in this (old) version of Avast that I'm using now :)
But because of something or somewhat it does not work...
And I tend NOT to update application because simple reason: every single update... imposes more and more CPU load than the previous version of the same app.
I have 512MB RAM memory.
It is hardly enough for the bare Windows.

And I use Netscape (from 1998) because it is simply better than google chrome from 2014! It just is better. Smaller memory "footprint", lower CPU load than Chrome... Why should I suffer with new, when the old can do the job... even faster! :P

On my computer, Netscape can open up to 500 tabs with ease, while Chrome starts to slow down after 20 or 30 tabs!
This was tested on Facebook, where I used custom-based scripts in Netscape that would open each of my friend in a new tab, over 500 tabs (1 tab = 1 friend profile) and netscape remain 100% stable.
Chrome chrashed with more than 1 gigabyte swap file that it loaded at that moment!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:05:39 PM by BulmaSoft »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 04:14:11 PM »
I have 512MB RAM memory.
OS..?? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP..?)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 04:48:32 PM »
If you want a real good, low on resources browser...
Give Opera a try, unlike your Netscape, it supports the latest web-standards.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 04:53:44 PM »
I have 512MB RAM memory.
OS..?? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP..?)

WinXP, SP2.
I used WinXP with SP1, but because of the stupid BlueTooth dongle i HAD TO update to SP2 at the end of the past year :/
32bit OS.

It's a "clean" system. Never ever had an virus on it. Does not do much of the "surfing" on the Net. All applications that I use are more or less rather old, they are fully "tested" and familiar to me :) And it's backed-up with Acronis. So Antivirus here is just as a "save-me-from-the-rebooting-and-from-backup-restoring" thing :P
Most of the time only app that is run on this comp. is Winamp :)

If you want a real good, low on resources browser...
Give Opera a try, unlike your Netscape, it supports the latest web-standards.

And I do use Opera... But most of the time I'm in Netscape. It just is the fastest... And I really have no problem with it :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:58:05 PM by BulmaSoft »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 04:56:55 PM »
WinXP, SP2.
I used WinXP with SP1, but because of the stupid BlueTooth dongle i HAD TO update to SP2 at the end of the past year :/
32bit OS.
I tested the latest version on XP SP3 (512MB), it's slicker/faster than V7.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 04:59:56 PM »
WinXP has its drawback when it comes to the microphone, cannot hear microphone on to the loudspeaker when installed SP3 for Winxp!
There is an workaround - Mic2Speaker(s) or something like that, but isn't free (trial of 30 days) so I'm sticking with SP2 because of THAT! :/

P.S. For everything that I do or every old version that I tend to use - there IS a real reason... But I must admit that it might comes >>strange<< when someone in 2014 year states that it still uses Netscape...

P.P.S. My bookmark folder (in Netscape) is over 2megabytes large.
This ammount of Bookmarks - can NOT be imported in Opera :/
(It renders Opera slowwwwwww on startup).
Or, if imported, Opera looses thubnails from the bookmarks...
So - I use Netscape..
Everything in it is at a click of the mouse in it :)
Why change it? :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:02:57 PM by BulmaSoft »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 05:03:15 PM »
...so I'm sticking with SP2 because of THAT! :/
Only reason to stick to SP2 would be a cracked XP.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 05:07:10 PM »
You CAN update WinXP to SP3 (and I did) but drawback is the microphone, and because of that I restored from Backup WinXP with SP2.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 05:08:30 PM »
You CAN update WinXP to SP3 (and I did) but drawback is the microphone, and because of that I restored from Backup WinXP with SP2.
Well, the latest version should run under XP2 as well.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 05:11:45 PM »
Mmm, you mean the latest version of Avast? :)

Well, tell you what, I'll update my Avast tonight. And if it doesn't slow down computer too much - then OK I'll leave it! :)

If it creates performance drops... then I can always return from Acronis Backup :D