Author Topic: Client updates License but not VPS  (Read 2379 times)

REDACTED

Client updates License but not VPS
« on: July 18, 2014, 07:22:28 PM »
We recently renewed our Avast! license.  I've noticed that the clients are updating the latest license but they are not updating the latest VPS files.  We've had ongoing problems with the VPS update  process.  For example as of this writing, the latest VPS is dated 140718-0.  The client says it's version is current but is dated 140614-1 ( differs depending on which client you're looking at.  The update process copies 4 files down to the client but apparently does nothing with them.

I've checked that the appropriate ports are open in the firewall, as well as file sharing and network discovery are on in GPO and show up in the client firewall settings.  Thus I don't think the problem is network or security related.

Another observation.  I am able to send an install package to the client with no problem.  The mirror dates are correct and everything runs per spec. 

I also noticed that when I try to access the Mirror status ($$status$$_mirror), it shows an old date for the VPS files.  When I look at the mirror log directly, the last update date is current:

Status returned with $$status$$_mirror:
=========================================
avast! Mirror

Mirror folder: C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast Business\Mirror\mirror

Mirroring products: abp,ais

Current versions in mirror:

avast! Endpoint Protection: 8.0.1603 (Jan 20, 2014)

Virus database: 140205-0 (Feb 05, 2014)

==================================
==================================

Here is the Mirror status file when viewing the status file directly:
avast! Mirror

Mirror folder: C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Enterprise Administration\Mirror\mirror

Mirroring products: abp,ais

Current versions in mirror:

avast! Endpoint Protection: 8.0.1603 (Jan 20, 2014)

Virus database: 140718-0 (Jul 18, 2014)

As you can see, the mirror status files are not the same.  The $$status$$_mirror function is looking at the wrong folder.  We do run the Avast client on the same server as the console and database.  Perhaps that is not correct?  If I delete the client software from the server, will that solve the problem and then how is the server protected?

We are running version APR2014 (8.0.369).

Thanks for any advise you can give
Dale