Author Topic: Avast! Blocks Mac Mail System - Help  (Read 3354 times)

REDACTED

Avast! Blocks Mac Mail System - Help
« on: July 02, 2014, 09:07:19 PM »
I have installed the Avast! Version 9.0 on my Mac Book Pro running OSX 10.9.3 and running the Mail version 7.3
When the Mail protection in Avast is activated several of my email addresses are completely blocked.
These are my POP type email addresses at the 1and1.com email server. The one IMAP address (Gmail) I am running is unaffected.
Problem Analysis:
Avast leaves a single smtp address online running but puts all the other smtp server addresses, which are the same smtp address but used by different emails, to 'offline' status thus blocking all usage, in or out, of these email addresses. Avast leaves only one primary smtp address online and working.
Even when one resets the email addresses in the Mail program itself back to online status, Avant blocks these and resets them back to offline.
Since I have several POP email box addresses at my 1and1 account, each for different purposes I cannot use avast email protection until this problem can be solved.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Avast! Blocks Mac Mail System - Help
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 09:09:20 PM »
Avast for Mac does not scan SMTP traffic nor does it fiddle with any SMTP addresses. There may be some problem with POP3 scanning, but without any logs its hard to do anything about it.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 04:38:17 PM »
Have a similar problem with Mail (using pop3), with mail shield activated I'm unable to fetch mail.

Have been a problem with a beta version as well as version 8.

Multiple accounts in use.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:31:37 PM »
What version of Apple Mail do you have? What email providers do you use?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 05:04:56 PM »
Mail is Version 7.3 (1878.6)

Mail provider is web10.dk.

Details you may get in a private mail. Or i can trace a session iff you can give me instructions.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 02:43:51 PM »
Are there any relevant error messages in the system log?
What authentication method do you use for the POP3 account (Preferences->Accounts->Advanced)?

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 11:15:38 PM »
Authentication method password, port 110 (pop3 port)

There is nothing obvious in the Console.

The activity window in Mail says "sending password", at which point it seems to fail, or, by the look of it, time out. It ask for the password, even if the stored password work if mail shield is turned of.