Author Topic: How to scan email?  (Read 7596 times)

REDACTED

How to scan email?
« on: July 17, 2014, 07:36:06 AM »
Hi all,

So I've been having trouble with my email sending out spam, basically the whole reason I even got Avast, but I can't quite figure out how to enable the Mail Shield? The picture is what it looks like on my screen. It says no files have been scanned and I can't find settings anywhere. Could somebody please help me?  :-\

PS: I have the Avast! Free Antivirus. If that helps with anything.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:41:21 AM by CC Bella »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: How to scan email?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 01:38:25 PM »
What are the mail scanner settings?
Did you put a checkmark in front of scanning outbound mail?
What email client do you use?
Are you using ssl?

Have you run a online scan for malware?
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.bitdefender.com/scanner/online/free.html
http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 10:38:36 PM »
Hi all,

So I've been having trouble with my email sending out spam, basically the whole reason I even got Avast, but I can't quite figure out how to enable the Mail Shield? The picture is what it looks like on my screen. It says no files have been scanned and I can't find settings anywhere. Could somebody please help me?  :-\

PS: I have the Avast! Free Antivirus. If that helps with anything.

1. Mail Shield does not filter outgoing emails. (Eddy, there's no checkmark for that on Avast! for Mac, there is no such function in the Mac version)
2. Why do you say your email is sending out spam? Because people are receiving spam messages with your email address on them? You should know that it's very easy to spoof the 'from:' field of an email, so it doesn't actually mean they are coming from your computer.
3. If your computer is actually being turned into a spam bot, that means there's a piece of software running that is doing that job, Mail shield does not deal with that, however, a full system scan might detect the malicious software.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:40:30 PM by specimen9999 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 10:41:01 PM »
Mailshield sure can scan outbound mail.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 12:37:02 AM »
Mailshield sure can scan outbound mail.

Are you aware, that you are in the Mac forum here? The Mac version really has no
outgoing mail traffic scan, it was explained several times here in the Mac section.

In general please note, that the Windows and Mac version of avast! are in fact two
completely different peaces of SW, so advises for Mac users based on the Windows
version of avast! (like in this thread) are very often wrong.