Author Topic: Auto update to 2021?  (Read 2761 times)

Offline Xanadu

Auto update to 2021?
« on: August 01, 2014, 03:50:50 PM »
Yes I know my version was an older one but I kept it because it did not seem to have all the issues the new ones have.  I was running 2008.  It worked.  I unchecked update program because I do prefer to check the reviews on the newer version before I make a decision that could brick my computer.   Sometimes newer is not better and all those bells and whistles are garbage, not improvement.

This morning I got up and there is a new Avast shortcut on the desktop.  Hmmm.  What could this be?  Let me guess.  Avast updated for me without any input from me once again.  Yes this is the second time it has done this.   I go into the user interface and I see "reboot" in bold print.  At least this time I saw the option to not install Chrome so that was one less thing I had to fix.   So I rebooted, crossing my fingers the whole time that I would not be one of the ones to get the BSOD or other major problems it has caused.  I was lucky.  As far as I know.  Have not delved that far into it.   I guess my question is how can avast make the decision to override the user's settings and do what it wants on a computer?  I am not a new computer user - but I know when the forums are filled with problems with a certain version don't update till its fixed.   I thought that was the reason for unchecking the update program box.  Of course I have auto updates on the definitions. 

Do I have to redo all the settings?  Did it hold the settings I had had previously?  Now it wants a new license within 45 days...can that be done through the GUI because the orange bar across the front is not a clickable link.   (Yes it will be a year in September that I registered it last).

HP Envy running Windows 8.1.1
Avast version is now 2014.9.0.2021

REDACTED

Re: Auto update to 2021?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 04:12:05 PM »
As one who keeps my systems up to date with all the Avast releases, I have personally seen it mess up exactly once in nearly a decade of use.  I came here, got advice to do a full removal and reinstall, and I was back up and running.

That shouldn't have been necessary, but anyone can be forgiven for making a mistake.  From my perspective the Avast team appears to work very hard not to make them.

Being conservative seems reasonable but you have to balance risk and benefit. 

The very source of goodness in a web-integrated anti-malware product is in its ability to bring you the wisdom of the latest detection logic.  Blocking its update for a significant length of time opens you up to new malware, and the designers know that, hence the alternate "emergency update" facilities.

If you're relying on your anti-malware software as your main line of defense (which you shouldn't be), allowing it to grow out of date is akin to just running without it.  You're not browsing old sites with old ads.  Malware writers are constantly busy.

If you're unsure about your options, take the time to go through all the panels and review their settings.  You seem to want to be fully in control, and this is the only way to know it's set exactly the way you want it.

-Noel
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:16:38 PM by NoelC »

Offline Xanadu

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 04:17:23 PM »
I appreciate your response Noel.  My concern is updating when it feels like it...no notification that it was going to do that.  I realize it figured I was not going to do it so it took it upon itself.  I hope I continue to be one of the lucky ones who has no issues with it. 

The registration?  Do I do that online?  Does not appear to be any link within the program to renew the license. 

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 04:28:46 PM »
One of the Avast team members just yesterday or the day before said that you should be able to renew your free license online right from the Avast user interface.  I know I've always done it that way (though personally I haven't had to do it in the last 7 months).

It's possible you're worrying about it a bit too soon.  As I recall you see different prompts when it gets to be within 30 days of renewal.

Regarding doing things automatically...  If you look carefully at how Avast is designed, it's mostly set up to automatically protect people who are not attentive or who don't prefer to be in charge of their system setup.  Clearly the designers intend for it to provide automatic protection above all else.

I wish you the best of luck.

-Noel

Offline Xanadu

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 05:15:55 PM »
Thanks.  I will wait and see if the prompts change.  Still have six weeks so I am still good to go.

I appreciate the polite, informative responses. 

Have a great day!

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 05:34:46 PM »
You're welcome, and thanks in return for the well wishes.

By the way I turned up a link to the response I mentioned:

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=152804.msg1111211#msg1111211

-Noel

Offline Xanadu

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 07:40:07 PM »
Good information.  Thanks!  It does appear I am jumping the gun so to speak  ;D  I'll recheck at 30 days out.