Author Topic: Sad to Leave Avast but gotta do it  (Read 3129 times)

REDACTED

Sad to Leave Avast but gotta do it
« on: August 01, 2014, 08:02:38 PM »
This is a sad day and i have had a crappy week already but i gotta leave avast free at least for a while after using it and installing it on clients computers for the last 2 years i don't know what is happening but i am constantly getting false positives on my software and it is software i know is safe as i have used the same copy on my systems in some cases longer than avast with no issues

I will be in the middle of something and it will flag something and delete the .exe from the program then i gotta stop and try and restore it i use the restore and add to exclusions list but that doesn't work next time i go to use it it does the same thing again i find myself having to disable avast temporarily just to run this piece of software which i should not have to do i get that it is trying to protect my system but it is going overboard now.

I wouldn't have such a problem if i do the restore and add to exclusions feature once and i don't get bothered again but this doesn't seem to work so it has been driving me mad so i have just uninstalled avast free and i filled out the questionaire explaining why i think for now i might just use the built in MSE in Windows 8.1 until i can figure out my next move

such a shame as i was such a big fan on avast i didn't think twice about installing it not only on my own systems but customers who's computers i built avast was part of the standard package of applications i put on all the systems

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Sad to Leave Avast but gotta do it
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 08:24:08 PM »
So why dont you send the file to avast lab so that they can correct any false detection

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 08:31:03 PM »
So why dont you send the file to avast lab so that they can correct any false detection

I did on several occasions but also when it is flagging software that i was using previously and also whilst avast was running with no issue suddenly there is an issue not sure why nothing has changed programs haven't been uninstalled the only thing that has changed is avast updates

anyways to make sure i am not unnecessarily blaming avast i have uninstalled it and will see what happens over the next couple of days just using another piece of software like MSE built into windows 8.1 and see if i start getting issues with that as well if i do then i will take a serious look at why my software is making antiviruses go nuts all of a sudden

I have not completely written off avast i still like it and will probably still use it in the future but at the moment i am too busy to be spending time submitting reports and restoring false positives

(work is crazy atm)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 08:34:38 PM »
Test the detected file at one of these places www.virustotal.com  /  www.metascan-online.com  / www.jotti.org

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 08:52:43 PM »
i gotta stop and try and restore it i use the restore and add to exclusions list but that doesn't work next time i go to use it it does the same thing again

Win32:Evo Gen [Susp]?

Been there, been through that.  However, I didn't toss Avast; with the help of this forum I figured out how to reconfigure it to work.

Do you know that there are different exclusion lists in several different places?

Try looking in Settings > Active Protection > (click the gear next to File System Shield) > Exclusions

Add your specific exclusions there manually, and I think you'll find you can keep the rest of your protection intact.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 12:07:06 AM »
How did you reconfigure Avast to get your program to work. I am having the same problem. Starting yesterday (July 31) Avast is suddenly quarantining files in my commercial application. I don't have Avast and this is something our users are reporting. They are calling and emailing regularly and we have 14 now. We will try setting our software as an Exclusion but I don't know if this will work after Avast has stopped our program from running.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 02:18:44 AM »
(This is from memory) They'll have to go to the Virus Chest, right-click your software module, and choose the "restore and report as false positive" operation.

Then I believe they'll need to go to the area I described and make a specific exclusion entry.

I suggest your best approach might be to install Avast on a test system yourself and work through the process, taking screenshots as you go.

-Noel