Author Topic: Anyone tried Zonealarm 6.0 with Avast yet?  (Read 9082 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Anyone tried Zonealarm 6.0 with Avast yet?
« on: July 23, 2005, 11:56:34 PM »
If so, how are the two working together?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Anyone tried Zonealarm 6.0 with Avast yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 12:12:12 AM »
Same as v5 still conflicts with web shield otherwise no changes, apart from the trust level section which determines which actions programmes can take on your system.  i.e. launch other programmes, access the registry and change programmes.  This section is a steep learning curve.  I've been running it since the first beta so any questions just ask

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 02:12:23 AM »
I'm running ZA Freeware version 6.0.631.002

No problems at all, although I'm still disappointed to see that ZA still doesn't (want) to recognize avast! as legitimate antivirus tool. Their politics regarding the promotion of their own antivirus software  ::)

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

MFB

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 02:37:25 AM »
Running with Zone Alarm 6 free Edition, no problems here.  Just it blocks almost all my programs when I install it.  (Had a busy night marking check marks to the programs I needed.)

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 03:22:24 AM »
I'm running ZA Freeware version 6.0.631.002

No problems at all, although I'm still disappointed to see that ZA still doesn't (want) to recognize avast! as legitimate antivirus tool. Their politics regarding the promotion of their own antivirus software  ::)

Cheers !

I'm not defending ZoneAlarm, but ZA can promote their own software with their products.   It isn't good business sense to promote competetors.   Users (like me) that use the free version of ZA firewall have no right to complain.  I repeat, "I'm not defending ZoneAlarm". 

See my post at http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=15213.0

You will see in the post referenced above that it isn't important for ZA to recognize Avast!, actually it might be annoying if ZA did.  Windows security center does recognize Avast! if you want to be sure Avast! is installed, working & updated.

MFB

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 03:28:29 AM »
Lol, ZA isn't the only company who wants users to see their own company antivirus in those screens.  ;)  I too think that ZA should take the time and put in all the other antivirus programs other than their own, including the free versions, at least most of the common ones that most users are using of course.   :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 03:43:35 AM by FIXER »

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 08:31:21 AM »
I think we should boycott ZoneAlarm until they decide to fix their issues with avast!  ;D

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 02:20:49 PM »
I'm not defending ZoneAlarm, but ZA can promote their own software with their products.   It isn't good business sense to promote competetors.   Users (like me) that use the free version of ZA firewall have no right to complain.  I repeat, "I'm not defending ZoneAlarm". 

See my post at http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=15213.0

You will see in the post referenced above that it isn't important for ZA to recognize Avast!, actually it might be annoying if ZA did.  Windows security center does recognize Avast! if you want to be sure Avast! is installed, working & updated.

I'm not defending ZoneAlarm nor my opinion either... See my post I replied with, right after yours:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=15213.msg128241#msg128241  ;)

@Xistenz - good idea, but this time we should do that without this smilie  ;D .   :)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

cvsa

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 07:12:18 PM »
as ZA 6 is not in french for the moment, i didn't test it.... ;D

could you tell me if there's a real interest in switching to ZA6 compared to za 5.5... i Read that za 6 was blocking spywares  ??? ::) in the pro version..... it's really becoming like Norton gas factory !!! doing everything not so well and nothing good at all.. :P

concerning the free version, is it more efficient than 5.5 ?

(i know it's avast forum here, but......) ;)

MFB

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 07:18:53 PM »
For me, ZA 6 is pretty much similar to 5.5.  I haven't seen alot of changes from ZA 6 except the fact now I had to allow programs such as avast! Web scanner to the trusted and internet list separately.   

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 07:21:43 PM »
I think we should boycott ZoneAlarm until they decide to fix their issues with avast!  ;D

Which firewall should we use during the boycott?  ZA is the best & easiest to use firewall.  From what I have read Kerio PF is next best, but I prefer the ease of ZA.

Windows Security Center recognizes Avast!, that in itself should give the creditability you want.  Check the reviews at Download.com for Avast!, AVG & Anti Vir.  Avast! comes out way on top.   Look in this forum at those who used to use Norton, but now use Avast!.  ZA recognizes Norton.  Avast! should put a notice on their website about ZA's recognition policy & inform potential users that Windows Security Center recognizes Avast!.  On one of Microsofts web pages about antiviruses  Avast! was one of MS's recommendations.  Creditability enough?

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 01:14:56 AM »
On one of Microsofts web pages about antiviruses  Avast! was one of MS's recommendations.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/partners/antivirus.asp

If all that I said is put to anti-virus newbies then there will be no doubts when a novice encounters ZA ignoring Avast!.

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 02:19:45 AM »
Zonelabs did a lot of change in her Profesional version. Now includes triple firewall protection and Spyware protection.
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 03:26:22 AM »
Now includes triple firewall protection
What does this mean? Another marketing concept trying to sell the firewall or, indeed, a new security concept?
The best things in life are free.

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 04:18:49 AM »
Now includes triple firewall protection
What does this mean? Another marketing concept trying to sell the firewall or, indeed, a new security concept?

You can check their website here: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_zap.jsp#1

It appears to be a process guard. also they include something called SmartDefense™ Service.

ZoneAlarm®
Triple Defense Firewall™

Defense 1
Protects your computer from hackers, spyware, and Trojan horses

Our proven stateful stealth firewall guards the network perimeter from inbound and outbound threats.

Defense 2
Prevents bad programs from attacking good programs on your computer

A second firewall layer surrounds each software program, protecting good programs from bad.

Defense 3
Protects the operating system down to the kernel

The third firewall layer goes down to the kernel to protect the operating system - including the registry and file systems - from attack by malicious programs.
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS