Author Topic: schedule daily full scan option?  (Read 7394 times)

REDACTED

schedule daily full scan option?
« on: July 18, 2014, 07:23:44 PM »
Did Avast do away with the schedule daily full scan option?

REDACTED

Re: schedule daily full scan option?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 07:27:34 PM »
No, the capability is still there.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 02:54:34 AM »
This view is not on my avast. From the Avast screen I have gone through every setting and I can't find the "Scan Setting" tab anywhere. I have fully updated everything and it aint there.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 03:12:36 AM »
avast! UI > Scan tab > [choose scan type] from dropdown menu > Settings (below the explanation of the scan) > Scheduling.

If it's not that, you are not running v9.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 03:29:32 AM »
Running Version 2014.9.0.2021c
Definition Version 140718-1
Number Of Definitions 2.35613

I don't know whats going on here but I followed everything to the T and it is all correct till I get to the Scheduling part. Comparing mine to the pic that was posted I have "Exclusions" as the very last thing. In the picture it shows "Scheduling" and that is not on mine.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 03:32:40 AM »
Running Version 2014.9.0.2021c
Definition Version 140718-1
Number Of Definitions 2.35613

I don't know whats going on here but I followed everything to the T and it is all correct till I get to the Scheduling part. Comparing mine to the pic that was posted I have "Exclusions" as the very last thing. In the picture it shows "Scheduling" and that is not on mine.

Interesting. You have the latest version too.

Any chance you could post a screenshot?

This may be a corrupt install but the screenshot will help determine that.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 04:18:17 AM »
Your key is the small Create custom scan link.

Sorry I neglected to show it before...  It's been a while and I'd forgotten that I had set my scan up through that link.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 04:22:10 AM »
By the way, my version...

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 04:33:09 AM »
I have uninstalled and reinstalled it after I sent that last post. Now it's all there as it should be. BUT, let me ask. Why did the developers make it so many clicks to get to it instead of putting it in an easier location to find? And can I make it a shortcut on the ui so people can find it easier or is that not allowed? It appears to me that they tried to hide that option.
As for why it is there now and it wasn't before. I have no idea. I guess something didn't take right.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 04:41:28 AM »
People sometimes complain about how convoluted the UI is to use, and those who work with it a lot say it's fine.  Point in fact, you can get used to it and figure it out with enough time and effort (and maybe a reinstall).  It's a very complicated product.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 03:43:48 PM »
Problem is. And think about the average person whom is sitting down to do something real quick and for some reason after not minding their protection, maybe the computer slowed down, or something has drawn their attention to the antivirus for the first time in a year and they are looking for a way to check if it has been scanning and protecting them and they cannot find it after a while looking. This in my opinion covers 60% of the people using the free version. They look and look and it's not their. They are not gonna take the time to create an account, login, and write a question. They are gonna say. This program sux and then uninstall it and put something else on. Most will go to AVG because that's what I see alot.

From what I have seen. 4 out of 10 people that start with the free product will at some point go to the paid version so in time that WILL translate to $$$$ lost to a competitor.

Not something I would stand for when it could be made more average user friendly.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 07:51:33 PM »
That's just motherhood and apple pie.   "Easier to use is better".

However, the hard part is in the actual doing; to pack all the different features into the product in a simple way.

Note that I'm not saying it's the best it could be.  Just that it's understandable that a product that's this complex takes more than a "for dummies" approach to use the more complex features.  Sometimes things are really that complicated and you have to buckle down and deal with it.

-Noel

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 09:33:08 PM »
I'm speaking from experience and I have found running a daily full system scan is a waste
of time. Since avast comes packed with solid resident shields the need for daily scans is
greatly lessened. Personally I run one quick scan each week and one full system scan each month.
The reason for one monthly scan is that during that one day I run scans with both avast and
MBAM prior to my monthly system backup.

One more thought, if your daily scans continue to come up clean you could cut back on
your scan frequency.  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 10:23:27 PM »
Personal experience is one of the greatest assets of an internet community - thank you for sharing yours - but in the complex world of security it's really not enough, since no one individual (save for maybe someone on staff with an anti-malware company) can have experienced even a small minority of all the malware that's out there.

The thing the scan does is back up the operation of your shields.  That it's different in its operation from the shields is the key.  The shields check only certain kinds of files and only small parts of them in an effort to be efficient enough to be tolerable.  The scan can be set to read all files and check them in their entirety.

It's not hard to imagine a file written in such a manner as to carry a malware payload in a part that's not scanned by shields, but which can be revealed later by overwriting the front part of the file with a block of no-ops.

Knowing that there's a difference between the capabilities of shields and scans, and depending on what makes you feel comfortable, a daily scan that normally doesn't catch anything could still be well-advised.  Not every one of the millions of types of malware is knocking at your door every day!

-Noel (possibly more paranoid than Para-Noid)

P.S., Consider setting this:

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 12:05:33 AM »
If you scan results are clean what's the use in frequent scans.
I've been running weekly quick scan for several years and have been
infection free. Why do you think avast has resident shields for?  ???

But if you want to waste precious CPU usage go right on ahead.
Try cutting back on scan frequency and find out for yourself.
Try running a full scan once a week and let me know what kind of
results you get. I'll bet you won't see any difference.  ;D
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.