Author Topic: Firewall on a Tablet?  (Read 7040 times)

REDACTED

Firewall on a Tablet?
« on: July 22, 2014, 06:49:28 AM »
I recently got myself a android tablet, which for the record has NO Phone functions. Its just a wi fi Android tablet. Since I use Avast Service on my PC and Laptop, I  saw i could put it on my new tablet and did, however i am unable to get the firewall working on my tablet.  I receive an error "Could not acquire root access, you need a rooted phone to run the avast firewall..."  As I mentioned theres no Cellular access on this tablet, thus no phone, does that mean I cant get the firewall working?

Im using a NeuTab N7 with  Android 4.3 on it. Thanks for any help on this matter.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Firewall on a Tablet?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:43:06 AM »
Hi,

no, it's an unfortunate wording. What's important is that you need to have a rooted device (being it phone or tablet) to be able to use the Firewall.

Filip

Offline ZombieZoom

• avast! Super Sayajin since 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 02:22:16 PM »
Since you are new to Android, you should know that you do not need a firewall unless you are rooted. Rooting means giving yourself total control on your phone/tablet including but not limited to deleting system apps and customizing your device. Generally, it's your ticket to the system core. If your device is rooted and you like controlling every aspect of your device, you might also like to have the ability to block certain apps from accessing the internet thus a firewall is needed. The firewall feature then is dedicated for you.
For more information google Android Rooting.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 02:48:44 PM by zombiezoom »

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 02:28:48 PM »
Hi,

firewall actually deals with access to network, not access to files.

Filip

Offline ZombieZoom

• avast! Super Sayajin since 2008
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 02:43:39 PM »
Exactly, I forgot to mention that. If you want to block certain apps from accessing the internet, the firewall comes in handy.