Author Topic: Freeze on virus update!  (Read 11307 times)

Whats Up

Freeze on virus update!
« on: July 25, 2005, 09:07:19 PM »
Hi All,

Am running Win98 and every time I allow Avast! to do an update, my system freezes when the update completes.

Running version 4.6.691HE, but same thing happened with the previous version.

Any ideas?

TIA,

What's Up

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Freeze on virus update!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 09:15:54 PM »
Maybe your installation is corrupted...  ??? Have you tried to repair avast! using Control Panel > Add/remove Programs > avast! antivirus Change/Remove > Repair

Whats Up

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 09:48:00 PM »
Hi Ylap -

Thanks for the suggestion - gave it a try but system hung as before - when the "Summary" screen appears!  I have to power down to get things running again.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 10:26:34 PM »
Hello Tia and Welcome to forum,

Do you by any chance have any other antivirus tool installed along with avast! ? If you don't, but you had before, which one was it, and are you sure you completely uninstalled it prior to installing avast! antivirus. Having two or more antiviruses with resident shield running, on the same computer, is one of the best ways to screw up your system...

Please try to answer all those questions, so we can try to find a solution for your problem.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 10:33:05 PM »
Do you use any firewall?
Do you use any other security program?

Are you talking about manual updates or automatic ones?
How do you connect to the Internet? (dial-up, etc.)
The best things in life are free.

Whats Up

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 03:45:23 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions - I replaced Norton AV with Avast! because Norton caused several programs to really bog down.  Am very happy w/ Avast! except for the problem noted.

On this system, I'm connected via dial-up.  The updates, both manual and auto, d/l and install fine - until the "Summary" screen comes up.  Then I must reboot to continue.  On re-boot the update works fine.

I have completely removed all traces of Norton from the machine now but will have to wait until the next update is available to see if complete removal of Norton fixes the problem.

What's Up

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 03:56:55 AM »
d/l and install fine - until the "Summary" screen comes up.  Then I must reboot to continue.  On re-boot the update works fine.
What do you mean? Does the computer ask for reboot or just freeze there?
It's a strange behavior... Do you use any firewall? Pop-up blocker?

Whats Up

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 05:58:53 PM »
No firewall, do have a popup blocker but don't believe this is causing trouble. 

The update downloads and installs ok.  The install program then displays a "Summary" screen with a "continue" (I think) button but my cursor has disappeared, enter does nothing and cntl-alt-del doesn't bring up "Mask Manager", just a blue screen that gets me nowhere.

At this point the only thing I can do is power down to reboot, then everything (including the virus update) is fine!

What's Up

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 07:47:58 PM »
Just a blue screen that gets me nowhere.
Does it happen only once or on every update?  ::) :o :(
Could be some conflic with firewall, another antivirus or security program, etc. But to guess I need more info about your system (hardware and software).

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 10:25:05 PM »
No firewall,
Not having and using a firewall is like playing russian roulette with a loaded revolver every time you go online.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Whats Up

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 11:07:54 PM »
This problem occurs every time I update, even with no other programs running and my browser closed.  I have no other anti-virus s/w and am not running a firewall.

This system is a Compaq 7470, AMD-K6 processor w/312 MB ram running Win98SE2 on a dial-up connection.

All is well until the "Summary" screen with a close button appearsn at which point I have no cursor and the only way out is to power off.

What else can I say? ???

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 10:04:32 AM »
I really don't know how avast! could cause this. The summary window is just a window, nothing special happens there.
You say the mouse doesn't react - so, when you press Ctrl+Alt+Del, does anything happen?

Whats Up

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 07:02:08 PM »
Cntl-Alt-Del brings up a blue screen (not Task Manager) stating that the system has encountered a problem - telling me I can wait to see if the problem goes away or use CAD to reboot.  The problem doesn't go away and CAD just brings up another blue screen.

This only happens on an Avast! virus update, and it happens every time I update!  Except for this all seems well with my system.

What else can I say?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 09:39:33 PM »
Honestly, I don't know what to do about it... the system is obviously in a bad condition, but I have no idea what might cause it. These problems are almost impossible to solve on Win9x systems.
I cannot believe that it could be caused by the summary window itself... well, you may try to turn it off by switching to "Silent mode" for updates in program settings to see if it helps, but I rather doubt it.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 09:58:07 PM »
Check the taskmanager, make sure only explorer systray are running. Then try a update. Let us know if that solves the problem or not.