Author Topic: no mails via new Thunderbird 31.0 while Avast mail-shield is active  (Read 9525 times)

REDACTED

I am using Avast 2014.9.0.2021 (no update available) on Windows7/64bit and also virus definitions are up to date, but since updating to Thunderbird 31.0 I cannot receive mails. Disabling the mail shield in the Avast settings > Active Protection >> Mail Shield = OFF the problem is solved.
First I only expected Thunderbird ha a problem after the update from 24.6 (I believe it was) and reinstalled the mail client but no effect. Of course I also rebooted my computer without any effect.
I have configured Avast to scan inbound mails and newsgroup messages - nothing comes in, no error message from Avast or Thunderbird but I was able to send a mail. Activating outgoing mail check has at least no effect on inbound mails

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: no mails via new Thunderbird 31.0 while Avast mail-shield is active
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 05:58:44 PM »
Export avast's certificate and import it in Thunderbird.
See if that solves the problem.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 06:20:05 PM »
I had already installed the certificate from Avast to Windows (Internet Explorer) and also into Thunderbird > exported again a certificate from Avast (DER-file) and installed it into Thunderbird and also Windows, but the problem remain the same

as soon as inbound mail shield is active the status line of Thunderbird only show message "Connected to <servername>" but this does not change (at least not in 2-3 minutes). After switching off inbound mailshield of Avast italso shows the same message for 1-2 seconds followed by number of mails received or message "no new messages"

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 06:37:50 PM »
Next thing to try is a repair of avast.
Control panel > software > avast > change/remove > choose repair

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 08:46:40 PM »
Thanks for your advise Eddy,

I have done the repair > repair process successfull/no errors > rebooted computer > same problem
Than I used the Change option of Avast setup and uninstalled mail-shield feature completely > successful > rebooted > reinstalled mail shield feature again > rebooted (because mail shield status was OFF and could not be changed to ON) >> problem solved, Thunderbird is able to access my mailboxes again :-))

On the first attempt to get mails Thunderbird shows an "error" about invalid certificates of any mail server I tried to access and gives me an option to install an exception for the certificate. I know this message, happens around 1-2 times every month, sometimes even 2 times a day after a reboot but adding this exception always solved the problem and was only annoying. Until now I always considered it as a Thunderbird problem but obviously is this behavior related to Avast mail-shield. Might be a Thunderbird-problem, that this certificate warning and option to add an exception does not come up this time, but obviously disabling Avast mail-shield solved the problem even better and Thunderbird does not require a certificate-exception at all, when mail-shield is disabled. Is there perhaps any option in Avast to stop this problem completely ?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 08:58:26 PM »
Always good to hear a problem is solved.

Sounds to me this is something the developers of Thunderbird and avast should look at together.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 09:58:46 PM »
yes, might be a problem which need to be solved by Avast and Mozilla technicians together - so lets hope  :)

Let me thank you again for the fast help. This is not the first time I used the forum (but this time I remembered my last registration to the forum *g*) and I did not always get the expected solution but at least all guys here are polite and fast !

I am aware that all of this costs money so I upgraded Avast to Pro-version now (very simple using Paypal). Even if I see no advance, because the really interesting features like automatic software-updater, remote-connection and spam-filter are too expensive for me *g*
So no advance for me but I really appreciate that Avast is NOT nagging users of the free of charge version with advertising popups like many other freeware programs (especially virus scanners) do ! and also the functionality of the free version covers all necessary settings.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 10:08:15 PM »
If I may pitch in...
Based on my experience with Mozilla's SeaMonkey mail, which is very similar to TBird mail:
You start with Avast mail shield - Avast's certificate needs to be put in.
Turn off/uninstall Avast mail shield - original web mail site's certificate needs to be put in since Avast is no longer in the workflow.
Bit of a niusance, but completely normal.
Oh, and this is on yahoo mail IMAP connection.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 11:31:31 PM »
as mentioned before I had already installed the Avast SSL certificate before and did it again today with no success
and no messages regarding certificates from Thunderbird while mail shield is inactive or uninstalled - because the certificates of my mail-proviers are already installed and valid
ONLY while mail-shield is active my Thunderbird is showing me several times a popup regarding error with certificate and require an exception to be able to access the server. And it looks like this time, after the Thunderbird update to version 31.0, the certificate-error does not pop up for what reason every (mail shield might block communication to the mail server completely or a bug of Thunderbird but in this case the problem should not change by reinstalling mail-shield

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 05:58:23 PM »
I did not always get the expected solution but at least all guys here are polite and fast !
- If you ask a question, the answer may not be what you would like to hear. Nevertheless it still can be the right answer.
- We are not always "polite". It depends how someone is asking for help and how he/she respond  ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 10:51:14 PM »
Like the OP, I'm having problems with the Mail Shield.  I'm also running avast 2014.9.0.2021 (no update available) on Windows7/64bit, virus definitions up-to-date.  I was on an earlier version of Thunderbird when the problem started early this morning.  Found this thread, saw there was an update to Thunderbird, so I applied it.

Like the OP, I tried changing avast to remove the Mail Shield, reboot, reinstall the Mail Shield, and a finally reboot to activate it.  Unlike the OP, my problem is confined to NetZero's SMTP server.  I have four accounts from three providers in Thunderbird.  Only attempting to send via NetZero's server results in the error.  All my accounts are set to use SSL for inbound and outbound.

After removing the Mail Shield and rebooting, Thunderbird asked me to verify the exception for each account, going both ways (so, eight exceptions verified).  After that I could receive and send mail.  After I re-installed Mail Shield and rebooted to activate it, I was again asked to verify the eight exceptions.  I still can't send via NetZero's SMTP server.  I've attached a screenshot of one of the error instances (they always take the same form).  If I disable scanning of outgoing mail, I can send via NetZero.

I'm not sure if this problem is related to avast, Thunderbird, NetZero or some combination thereof.

Any advice would be appreciated.  For now, I'm not scanning outgoing email.

TIA.

I am using Avast 2014.9.0.2021 (no update available) on Windows7/64bit and also virus definitions are up to date, but since updating to Thunderbird 31.0 I cannot receive mails. Disabling the mail shield in the Avast settings > Active Protection >> Mail Shield = OFF the problem is solved.
First I only expected Thunderbird ha a problem after the update from 24.6 (I believe it was) and reinstalled the mail client but no effect. Of course I also rebooted my computer without any effect.
I have configured Avast to scan inbound mails and newsgroup messages - nothing comes in, no error message from Avast or Thunderbird but I was able to send a mail. Activating outgoing mail check has at least no effect on inbound mails

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 11:46:07 PM »
As the error indicates, it is a problem with the NetZero smtp server.
I suggest you contact them.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 01:17:58 AM »
As the error indicates, it is a problem with the NetZero smtp server.
I suggest you contact them.

That was my first thought, and I'm in their queue somewhere, waiting on a reply.  Just figured I'd post here, since disabling scanning on outgoing mail lets me use their server.

Thanks.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 12:57:08 PM »
Good, let's see what they have to say.

If you haven't done so already, also contact avast about it:
www.avast.com/contact-form.php

Please keep us informed if you get a response or find a solution.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »
You were right.  Here's there response:

"It appears that the mail delivery failure occurred due to a temporary problem."

I re-activated scanning on outgoing mail and sent them a reply.  No error occurred, so I'll assume they got it.... annnnnd they did.  The auto-response just came in  ;D

Thanks again for your help.