Author Topic: Some files could not be scanned  (Read 18300 times)

TwoShoes

Re: Some files could not be scanned
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 07:48:20 PM »
Not sure I understand you response to my last post.  I have done everything exactly as requested and according to the instructions provided by essexboy and have provided the requested logs.  The only issues that I have are: 1.  Still getting the message "Some files cannot be scanned", and 2.  Avast indicates that PEV.exe is a virus.  As far as issue number 1 is concerned this is not necessarily a problem.  Essexboy, along with others on this forum have mentioned this to many others with the same concerns on this Forum.  Concerning issue number 2 and the possible Virus warning I now see where there is another post about this same problem and it may be a false positive.  Also with issue number 2 is the necessity to uninstall Combofix or just leave things as they are presently (PEV.exe in the Virus Chest).  My system is running normal without any problems and I just did verify that the System Restore Function is active. 

ady4um

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 08:09:25 PM »
@TwoShoes,

I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your previous posts. I had no bad intention. When I read the topic, including Pondus insistence on reading again the instructions, I was under the (now I know to be wrong) impression that you were not only not reading the full instructions carefully enough, but also running tools or changing settings when was not specifically requested (for example, (re)running some tools when not requested to, may have bad consequences in some situations).

As I said, this was my impression, and from you last post I understand I was wrong about it. In any case, the fact remains: essexboy usually "cleans up" his work and tools after the main issue is solved. If for whichever reason Combofix (or any other tool) is not needed anymore, essexboy will tell you when and exactly how to "clean up".

About the "PEV" issue, I also read that other topic, but as of right now I have not seen a concrete response. I don't know if this is a FP, or that some other setting should be used (as I said, sometimes some tools are supposed to be ran with avast shields paused, as an example).

I would suggest waiting for essexboy so to follow his next instructions.

TwoShoes

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2012, 08:17:27 PM »
Thanks for your reply and no apology is necessary.  Sometimes I don't include enough information to make sure that everyone understands the current issues.  I will wait to see if essesboy has the need for anything additional and what to do next if necessary.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2012, 09:16:08 PM »
As you have removed part of Combofix but not the executable it should still uninstall properly, if it does not then OTL cleanup will remove any remnants

Remove ComboFix

• Hold down the Windows key + R on your keyboard. This will display the Run dialogue box
  • In the Run box, type in ComboFix /Uninstall (Notice the space between the "x" and "/") then click OK

• Follow the prompts on the screen
  • A message should appear confirming that ComboFix was uninstalled
Run OTL and hit the cleanup button.  It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself. 

TwoShoes

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2012, 09:32:28 PM »
I did try the uninstall as you recommended and Avast gave a Warning saying that Combofix.exe was a Trojan and recommended running it in the Sandbox.  I clicked OK to that and then it appeared to continue and then a popup appeared which said:  "Do not run Combofix in compatibility Mode. Doing so may damage the Machine".  When I click OK to the popup it just appears that it ended but I get no indication that the uninstall worked.

Don't know what you mean by OTL?????

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2012, 10:05:05 PM »
Do not let Avast sandbox it, it is not a trojan so ignore that

Once done run this small programme - it will self-uninstall  on completion

• Download OTC to your desktop and run it
  • Click Yes to beginning the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. Choose Yes.

TwoShoes

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2012, 11:37:28 PM »
I did rerun the Combofix uninstall and when Avast asked if I wanted to run it in the Sandbox I selected to open normally.  It did however still put out the message:  "Do not run Combofix in compatibility Mode. Doing so may damage the Machine".  I then ran OTC and the reboot and all looks normal.  Thank you for all of your help.

REDACTED

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2014, 05:29:33 AM »
I got a similar problem with my Windows 7 machine:

File Name                        Status
Disk \\?\Volume{78287502-720b-11df-b39a-806e6f6e6963} Boot Record        Error: The device is not ready (21)
Volume{78287502-720b-11df-b39a-806e6f6e6963}                        Error: The device is not ready (21)

Is that still OK to apply the same method now?
I have the latest free version of Avast.
Thanks

REDACTED

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2014, 07:18:13 AM »
@ perlovka,

Please start your own thread.  This fix is specific for the original poster (OP).  Thank you.

In your post, please specify the version of Avast Free you have, if your machine is up to date with all it's software, was it working properly at the time up until you did the Boot Scan, and what other security software do you have on this machine (firewall, other security software both on-demand and resident) both now and in the past?  Thank you.