Author Topic: Avast free  (Read 8084 times)

REDACTED

Avast free
« on: July 27, 2014, 08:39:56 PM »
I have had this for a long time and now I keep getting the warning that my subscription will expire in 13 days. I click the renew and the only option I have is to buy Avast. What happened to the free Avast? I use windows 8.1 classic  shell and Mozilla firefox 30.1

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast free
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 08:42:54 PM »
it is still free .... you are doing something wrong. you may attach a screenshot

avast FAQ  http://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 08:53:01 PM »
Just get a new license, you can't renew a free license.
http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:30:54 AM »
I had this happen to me as well.  I finally had to uninstall using the Avast Uninstaller tool, and put a fresh install of the latest Avast in, then it worked.  I've heard others had the same problem as well.  Then it finally worked and I've had no problems.

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 04:00:18 PM »
Hi,
do you please have any screenshot? What was the entry point to registration? The button in GUI on top, or some popup screen?

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 07:38:30 PM »
Is that really true?  Has that policy been changed?

It's been more than half a year since I set up my current Avast Free registration but I thought I had renewed it before.  That being said, I did have to go through a clean uninstall / reinstall to counter a problem; I think that's when my current registration was started.

Not a big deal, just a curiosity.

-Noel

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 08:22:12 PM »
Unless it has changed, the free license was valid for 14 months (now 12 months) and expires.
If you want to continue to use the free version you will have to get a new license.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 08:29:17 PM »
The point is though that no one should have to go and get a new license, the registration renewal should work through the UI so this is a bug and an inconvenience.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 07:44:06 AM »
@ MartinZ

I can't give a screen shot since I had uninstalled and did a fresh install, but it happened with v. 2021 (and not previous versions).  I happens in the GUI when you click to Register, and that I believe is where the glitch is.  It also will not let you cut and paste your license there either.  After spending a LOT of time trying to get it to work, I finally did an uninstall in Safe Mode and fresh install, rebooted, then cleaned the machine, then tried to register and it finally worked...hours later.

I have also read this same thing happening to other users with various OS's, with the same version of Avast Free.  So this may be should be something to look into.  Thank you.

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 10:01:19 AM »
Thanks, I probably know where could be the problem. After clicking register you got on a screen, where was just the button to upgrade and the Register button was missing. In this case the path via Settings->Registration->Register should work. But I am glad you were able to solve the problem via reinstall.

Generally the registration is for 12 months (exactly 365 days ;-), and can be renewed easily within GUI 30 days before expiration..

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 02:34:19 PM »
Generally the registration is for 12 months (exactly 365 days ;-), and can be renewed easily within GUI 30 days before expiration..
Thanks for clarifying that.  :)

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
Thanks Martin for the clarification.  :)

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 12:04:26 AM »
if i have a free lisence nstalled and it has expyterd do i have to re install

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 12:40:59 AM »
Do you now have a new license that was emailed to you from Avast?  If not, you need to get one first.  You may not have the problem that others have had.  You may be lucky. ;D

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 05:43:39 PM »
http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php

Does it also work for an older version? I have version 8.x, which will expire in 15 days. I'm also an offline user. Is the process the same?