Author Topic: Over-Protective Web Shield?  (Read 1922 times)

REDACTED

Over-Protective Web Shield?
« on: July 28, 2014, 03:43:33 PM »
I have been using Avast for years, and with the update to v9 I am profoundly disappointed. It seems like no matter what OS or browser I use, the default Web Shield settings block just about EVERY website out there other than Google and Yahoo!?

It's to the point where I just turn off the Web Shield... but this makes me start to think about finding an alternative protection app...

Not sure what's going on with Avast for Mac, but protection against browsing to, and displaying dangerous websites is a large part of why I use the app, and to have to blocking almost every single website out there by default is really not a useful update. Here is the page I get:

---------------------------------------------
The connection was interrupted

The connection to documentation.apple.com was interrupted while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
<Try Again>
---------------------------------------------

Now, I see in the Preferences options, there's an "Exclusions" tab... but I am NOT about to go through and add every single website I trust manually. That's ridiculous if that's the solution. (and I even tried it for one, to see, and that didn't seem to work either, so I just turn the Web Shild back off.) I would very quickly jump ship to Sophos or something else before I manually go through and list every site I frequent.

PS.
Sorry if there's an answer out there somewhere, I did some searching and couldn't find any sort of answer that didn't involve PC answers.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Over-Protective Web Shield?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 05:18:10 PM »
Sorry if there's an answer out there somewhere, I did some searching and couldn't find any sort of answer that didn't involve PC answers.

7 topics below this new one, there is a thread named "Webshield blocked all websites except Google"
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=152544.0