Author Topic: OE problem  (Read 7820 times)

eki

OE problem
« on: March 15, 2003, 07:01:23 PM »
Now when I finally made Avast! scanner running the next problem occured:

When I try to run Outlook Express, there comes two messages on the screen:
In first message OE says that it couldn't create some kind of Internet - account control. It says that the memory has ran out or hard disk is full, but it can't be possible. (Message ID is 0x800CCD01)

After I click "OK" button, the next message occurs and it says that it couldn't format file "Msoe.dll" and OE could have been installed inproperly.

After I click "OK" button, nothing happens... Before installing Avast! OE ran Ok.

Platform was Pentium 75mHz, 64Mb RAM, Windows 95, IE 5.5 with desktop update.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:OE problem
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2003, 08:59:56 PM »
Sorry to give you only this answer, but did you ever thought of updating your Windows to Win98? Microsoft  stops support for it one year ago if i remeber correctly.

So why should Avast spend time and money to discuss Problems for an unsupported OS?
Maybe Avast thinks it is worse it, but IMO(!) it is a waste of time. :)

BTW: Does anybody know, if it is possible to install IE6.x  on a Win95 System? If yes, you should try it, because it will update at least the msoe.dll. Do you have aplied all UPdates avaible for Win95 and IE5.5?
MfG Ralf

eki

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2003, 12:18:40 AM »
It's no use to upgrade this computer to W98 because it seems to be hard enough to run Win95 on it. And I've understand that Avast! runs on older platforms too. I don't think that the problem is in Outlook Express or msoe.dll because it ran properly before installing Avast! Antivirus. But if it is so hard to make this software run on my computer, I can also buy some other anti-virus tool for it...
And no, I haven't applied any upgrades that would affect on Outlook Express.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2003, 12:51:49 PM »
It maybe is Avasts problem, maybe it needs newer Versions of the mentioned DLLs, so if you do not have done it allready, you could try to update your Windows by using the Windowsupdater and install a Servicepack for your IE5.5. Here you have a link to SP2 for IE5.5, but the MS Homepage say it is only for 98SE, ME. You say you have 5.5, so it work for Win95 too?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=80a1e2bc-198a-4147-94dc-a3f55dd0276e&DisplayLang=en

I mean it is worth trying it, it could make your Win/IE a bit more stable and secure.
Oh, wait a minute do you have limit the size of your Swapfile, is there realy enough Diskspace avaible and does Outlook report the Problems if the AVAST Monitor isnĀ“t running?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2003, 12:56:22 PM by raman »
MfG Ralf

eki

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2003, 04:32:27 PM »
Thanks for advice, maybe I install (or try to install) it sometime. Funny, but now OE runs without problems. What has happened, I don't know...

By the way, why does Avast! Antivirus need ODBC drivers?

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2003, 04:44:45 PM »
Maybe the maker of Avast will tell you, if you find an odbcad32.exe , start it.
MfG Ralf

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2003, 08:37:50 PM »
By the way, why does Avast! Antivirus need ODBC drivers?

ODBC is a Microsoft's standard API for accessing databases. avast! 4 uses a database (specifically, MS Jet drivers) to store its scan settings/results.

However, there is an alternative mechanism implemented (for cases where ODBC is failing, which is unfortunately the case on some machines), based on XML. Therefore, it is possible to run avast! even without ODBC drivers installed.

Whether ODBC or XML is used is determined by a setting in avast4.ini, namely the value

Database=XXX

where XXX is either "ODBC" or "XML" (without the quotation marks).

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.