Author Topic: I was becoming worried, shocked with avast!... There is a hope anyway...  (Read 31802 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: I'm becoming worried, shocked with avast!
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2005, 04:13:06 PM »
Hi darth.mikey,

What I mean to say is obvious. When the man or the team who is responsible for the signature updates DOES NOT reply to your questions, what is the sense of musing about this. It is not bringing you or the others any further. You are kept in the dark. Am I right or ain't I,

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

darth.mikey

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2005, 08:57:56 PM »
Hi darth.mikey,

What I mean to say is obvious. When the man or the team who is responsible for the signature updates DOES NOT reply to your questions, what is the sense of musing about this. It is not bringing you or the others any further. You are kept in the dark. Am I right or ain't I,

greets,

polonus
I didn't understand you the first time  that's all ??? 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2005, 03:30:01 AM »
Bump!  :(
I won't just give up to have a better avast! I'm not complaning but I'm not joking too  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Starfighter

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2005, 04:47:54 AM »
I agree Tech.  I like avast! but if the updates aren't complete, then I'll move on to another av solution.  Which would be a shame, because there are so many things that I do like about avast!   

Maybe we could start a new discussion category in this forum (make it a sticky).... call it "virus submissions" and then we can track which new viruses have or have not been updated in the avast! patterns.  Just a thought...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2005, 04:55:09 AM »
I agree Tech.  I like avast! but if the updates aren't complete, then I'll move on to another av solution.  Which would be a shame, because there are so many things that I do like about avast!   

Maybe we could start a new discussion category in this forum (make it a sticky).... call it "virus submissions" and then we can track which new viruses have or have not been updated in the avast! patterns.  Just a thought...
I like it.
Just to post my reasons for this:
1. I'm not posting in Off Topic forum were I was invited to be a Moderator and could 'manage' the thread. I'm an user like the others.
2. Everybody knows my fanatism to avast! (which is evident), but in the case of samples and updates avast! is very slow these days (maybe the summer).
3. The team is not on the forums as they used to be... Where is Pavel? Where is Vlk? Karel? pk posted yesterday... Igor from time to time. C'mon, forum seems to be lose the importance for you and, for us the users, we're becoming clowns posting and posting here  :'(

MFB

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2005, 07:03:44 AM »
We haven't see or heard from any of the Alwil Team in this topic, where are they?  We should still be patient till one of them arrive, hopefully.     :-\

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2005, 09:04:03 AM »
Hi Fixer,

I am much more optimistic, I thinks the Avast Team has something up their sleeves in the way of a nice surprise or a good development. They are brooding on something. That is why they do not react.  That is what the silence mis about. We are in for some surprise folks. Think of good things and they will surely happen. Avast is a good product.

pozdrawiam,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

darth.mikey

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2005, 09:46:50 AM »
I like your optimistic view polonus i certainly hope you're right!

Mikey

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2005, 10:21:45 AM »
Well, what can we say. :-\

All I can say is that the way samples are added hasn't changed. It's the way it has been for the last ~3 years. I'm glad for threads like this because they might catalyze certain changes that part of our staff are trying to push (me including).

On the other hand, Technical, let's discuss the individual "malware" pieces in detail ( http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=15091.msg127347#msg127347 ):

the first two are ridiculous (these are just registry entries, nothing more!!! - unless backed up by a file, they are completely benign).

As for the rest, I believe they can do lots of harm (e.g. droppers drop (tons of) files - as you have already found out the hard way) and I hope they will be added to the database asap (if they haven't been already).

BTW I still find some of the statements in this thread inappropriate (exaggerated). I admit that some things need improvements (virus sample submission process is one of them) but there's no need for being so edgy (huffy, grumpy... - call it whatever you want :))

And about this

3. The team is not on the forums as they used to be... Where is Pavel? Where is Vlk? Karel? pk posted yesterday... Igor from time to time. C'mon, forum seems to be lose the importance for you and, for us the users, we're becoming clowns posting and posting here 

Simple answer (and I think someone already figured it out) - vacations. About half of the team has holidays, and the rest is trying to work twice as hard - hence neglecting some of the (less priority) duties... :-\ Hope you understand.

BTW Technical when are YOU leaving for your traditional 4 week vacation? ;)

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

darth.mikey

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2005, 10:25:02 AM »
There we finally got an answer  ;D 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2005, 01:57:01 PM »
Well, what can we say. :-\
Well, thanks for coming  8)

All I can say is that the way samples are added hasn't changed. It's the way it has been for the last ~3 years. I'm glad for threads like this because they might catalyze certain changes that part of our staff are trying to push (me including).
Thanks for listening the users and reading the forums. It's good to know that things have not changed.

On the other hand, Technical, let's discuss the individual "malware" pieces in detail ( http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=15091.msg127347#msg127347 ):
the first two are ridiculous (these are just registry entries, nothing more!!! - unless backed up by a file, they are completely benign).
As for the rest, I believe they can do lots of harm (e.g. droppers drop (tons of) files - as you have already found out the hard way) and I hope they will be added to the database asap (if they haven't been already).
Indeed, some files are nothing but a registry key. Anyway, they were detected by AVG and NAV.
The VPS was already updated:

Scanning of selected files

Action was completed successfully!

Virus has been detected!
File Name: sys2246.exe
FileID: 310
Virus Description: Win32:Trojano-1866 [Trj]

Virus has been detected!
File Name: sysinit32z.exe
FileID: 311
Virus Description: Win32:Trojano-1864 [Trj]

Virus has been detected!
File Name: sysinst54.exe
FileID: 312
Virus Description: Win32:Trojano-1866 [Trj]

Virus has been detected!
File Name: taras.exe
FileID: 313
Virus Description: Win32:Trojano-1865 [Trj]

Virus has been detected!
File Name: sys2431.exe
FileID: 314
Virus Description: Win32:Trojano-1867 [Trj]

Virus has been detected!
File Name: sys240.exe
FileID: 315

Virus has been detected!
File Name: sys5620.exe
FileID: 324

Virus has been detected!
File Name: sys5622.exe
FileID: 325

BTW I still find some of the statements in this thread inappropriate (exaggerated). I admit that some things need improvements (virus sample submission process is one of them) but there's no need for being so edgy (huffy, grumpy... - call it whatever you want :))
At least, we're trying to do the same: making avast better. Some of our conversation is friendly, some we cry  ;D
Why don't you start to improve the sample submission, analysis and update?
Sorry for the exageration. Maybe we're losing our fanatism  ;D

3. The team is not on the forums as they used to be... Where is Pavel? Where is Vlk? Karel? pk posted yesterday... Igor from time to time. C'mon, forum seems to be lose the importance for you and, for us the users, we're becoming clowns posting and posting here 

Simple answer (and I think someone already figured it out) - vacations. About half of the team has holidays, and the rest is trying to work twice as hard - hence neglecting some of the (less priority) duties... :-\ Hope you understand. BTW Technical when are YOU leaving for your traditional 4 week vacation? ;)
Sure, I understand... My vacations? Probably, next February.
But we, the users, can't do the job that is not on our hands. This is the 38th reply to this thread. It has been passed quite a lot of time since it was started by my unfortunate infection  :'(

Maybe it's a dream that the things can improve and improve all the time  :-[