Author Topic: Avast internet security automatically updated without permission.  (Read 39052 times)

REDACTED

Avast Internet Security automatically updated from version 2014.9.0.2008 to version 2014.9.0.2021.  A service was created by Avast called emhwid; them my windows message center told me Avast was turned off; and then a window from Avast came up that said to finish your installation please press next (with the google chrome installation box ticked that I unticked)

I do not like this version. It was all done without my permission automatically. How do I get version 2014.9.0.2008 again?

Thanks.

REDACTED

Re: Avast internet security automatically updated without permission.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:36:18 PM »
Did you have the box checked off for the Program to be automatically updated as well as your virus definitions?

Offline Xanadu

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 11:46:19 PM »
Posted in error. 

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 11:57:56 PM »
No, it was definitely not set to automatically update (I do that in all my software.) And it would have updated to the versions between 2014.9.0.2008 and 2014.9.0.2021.

Again, Avast is never set to automatically update versions.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 12:00:00 AM »
I am uninstalling version 2014.9.0.2021 and returning to 2014.9.0.2008 right now - so I might not be able to reply quickly.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 12:12:19 AM »
avast does not automatically update if you have set to ask what to do if a update is available.

There is a bug in the Windows security center that causes to show that a av is not working and/or installed.
This bug has been there since Windows XP.

Why going back to a older version?

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 12:22:26 AM »
Version 2021 is actually a much quicker, cleaner, more efficient version than the version you are going back to.  I realize you are upset, but you might want to give it a try.  Eddy is correct in having the Avast settings set for the Program update to "Ask."  If you wish to update it from the version you are installing now, you can do it through the GUI.  Let us know if you have any further questions.  Thank you.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 01:00:35 AM »
Well I this is hard to believe - I installed version 2014.9.0.2008 and it automatically updated to version 2014.9.0.2021. This is the worst version of Avast I have ever used. I'm am guessing some registry settings remain on the computer or their is new codong from the server - because even though I have the program version set to manual update, it automatically updated again. Also the sounds box is unticked, and it still plays the sounds.

I am going to try installing version 2014.9.0.2008 again offline, and hopefully it does not update automatically. As I said, this is the worst version I have used - it is slow, dirty, unefficient and the biggest pain ever. I have used Avast a long time (since v4) and this is terrible. I also think that the updated might now be "coded" from the servers in  a "call home" scenario. Is there away to stop the automatic updates with host files or another solution?

Thanks.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 01:03:37 AM »
I am going to an older version, because it is the best (v2008), with no hassles. Now version 2021 wont even update the virus definitions. As I said, I am going to uninstall v2021 and install v2008 again offline. Do you think I should have the prgram update setting to ask or manual?

Thanks.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 01:15:48 AM »
I am having the same problem as the original poster. I was using the 2014.9.0.2008 as well. I had the updates CHECKED to MANUAL. The program still updated to the newest version as well. Now, with the new version, I cannot access some web pager without getting an error (white page). I have to refresh the page several times to get to my homepage. I did not have this problem before. I also uninstall and ran the both the avastclear.exe in safe mode as directed and also the avast cleanup tool in normal mode. Reinstalled my previous version.....checked the "manual" box again. But it once again updated to the newest version.

The update happened on 2 Windows 7 computers, 1 Windows 8 computer and 1 Windows XP.

I also want my old version back......and for it to remain.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 01:26:33 AM »
I was thinking this might be happening from the server side - avast now being programmed when connected to the server to automatically update the program version, even though version update is set to manual or ask. Interesting. As I said I am going to reinstall v2008 offline - check that the program update is set to manual or ask (I'm not sure which is better, I've always used manual) - and then reboot offline, and then go online and see what happens.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 01:36:10 AM »
I agree that the problem is on the server side. They had to do something to 'force" the program update through. Now they just need to go back an figure out what went wrong.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 01:58:29 AM »
Yes, it did it in the background again - updated without permission and against the settings. This is very disturbing, covert and unethical. Hopefully this is just a server programmers mistake. Have to leave the computer soon, and head out.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 02:17:58 AM »
I think the problem is with "avast! Antivirus Installer". Once it connects to the internet, it automatically updates. This was never a problem before. If access is denied, then NOTHING will update, as the host becomes unreachable.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 02:29:10 AM »
Well I this is hard to believe - I installed version 2014.9.0.2008 and it automatically updated to version 2014.9.0.2021. This is the worst version of Avast I have ever used.

Something may be wrong with your system, because none of the things you described apply to the 2014.9.0.2021 that I'm running, and I'm sure many others here.

Beyond that, it's really not reasonable to run an old version of an antivirus package.  The sense in running such a package is that it's up to date with the latest detection wisdom of the antivirus company.  Yes, the old version might detect old malware and protect you, but it's not going to protect you from the newest badware out there.

I suggest you do an uninstall and clean install of 2014.9.0.2021, then work out whatever kinks you find (which may be none at all once you've done a clean install of the current version).

Edit:  By the way, I went through a bout where an update went badly, late last year I believe it was, and sure enough a clean and install of the latest version corrected all the problems.  I really think your assumption that you want to go back run the old version to avoid all the problems is way wrong.

-Noel
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:31:26 AM by NoelC »