Author Topic: Avast internet security automatically updated without permission.  (Read 39020 times)

REDACTED

Re: Avast internet security automatically updated without permission.
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 08:34:17 AM »
Perhaps there are remnants of the other versions still left in your machine.  I would suggest using the Avast Uninstaller Tool in Safe Mode first, then using Rejzor's Avast Cleanup Tool to get rid of any remnants: http://rejzor.wordpress.com/avast-cleanup-tool/...then reboot.

I still recommend using the newest version of Avast, but it is your decision.  Should you decide to install the older version with less protection, you can either put your Program settings to Ask or Manual.  If the program updates on it's own again, then it is due to what Eddy stated in his post about MS Security Center flaw and not Avast...so this is a problem with your machine. 

So try as I stated using the 2-step process for uninstalling as stated above and see if this resolves your problem.  Thank you.

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 11:33:19 AM »
You're not alone, i have the program update definitely set to manual because the latest versions of avast are an 'abomination', and won't let me access most websites and now bloated beyond belief.

But the program was updated totally 'Without My Permission' to the lastest version and voila i couldn't access any websites - well done avast !

Fortunately i keep a backup of a version that works from the days when avast was amazing and actually did what it was supposed to do, so i had to uninstall and use that version, but now i have to block Avast from accessing the internet using my firewall from updating virus definitions making it a pointless program - Why are they trying to ruin a once amazing anti virus program ?

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 11:43:28 AM »
It definitely IS NOT a problem with the machine. I have reinstall the program a couple different times with the same unwanted update occurring. EACH TIME has been a CLEAN install after running the removal tools. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the version I was using. It's funny how all of this just started happening in the past 15 hours. There have been several posts about a flawed update. Not just in this thread, but other as well as well as other places on the internet. Just a note.....Newer is NOT always better and that is being proven in this thread as well as the others. I have resorted to going back to a little older version that what I had before....it works great. The problem lies within a current update with Avast...no doubt about it. Its is really sad that when you have something set to NOT update, there is a FORCED update that hacks its way through.

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 11:55:32 AM »
I 100% believe this is not a programming error and has been specifically designed to 'Force' this update through to the lastest version - I'm sure they have reasons for this ! (probably money in some way) - Well i guess all good things come to an end similar to Zonealarm which was totally ruined through appalling updates.

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014, 12:17:53 PM »
I prefer some of the older program versions...even ZoneAlarms over the newer versions. I have had less trouble with them than the new ones. Too many things gets through the new ones. I prefer the older ones that was actually made solid and still work. They are like cars...Cars built in the 60's and 70's and even the 80's were better than the plastic windup ones that sell today for 40 K...lol

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 12:35:49 PM »
haha couldn't agree with you more, i'm still using Zonealarm v9 Free and it's as solid as a rock and also includes options that the so called updates removed.

I also thought i had a perfect solid working version of Avast 2014.9.0.2008, but now they are actually forcing me to corrupt my computer and making my browsers unuseable - Am i the only person that finds that UNBELIEVABLE considering Avast is supposed to be designed to stop unwated programs corrupting my computer ?

I think they have to keep creating these terrible updates to justify their employment and expansion of the company - I think that most software developers slogans these days should read - ' If it ain't broke, then lets break it, as it keeps us in a job  ' .

Do you know what AVG is like these days as i ditched them about 5 years ago for losing the plot ?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 01:32:35 PM by hallucinogenix »

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »
I have reinstall the program a couple different times with the same unwanted update occurring. EACH TIME has been a CLEAN install after running the removal tools.

You're making the assumption that the update process, which was apparently forced, is trouble free, then assigning the blame for the subsequent failure on the latest version.

It doesn't sound as if you've attempted to install the latest version cleanly.  I believe that would lead you to a successful configuration.

But hey, if you're fed up with Avast, I can't blame you.  Maybe it's time to move to something else, even though folks are telling you the latest version CAN work.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 02:10:14 PM »
Ok, if i or the other posters weren't having genuine issues and the same negative issues then why would we be posting on this subject ? - I have better things to do with my life than randomly complain about my Anti Virus Software.

Something HAS changed in the last 24 hours forcing users to update to the lastest version. I have tried with previous updates of Avast using a clean install but to no avail, making all of my browsers behave eratically at best.

I and many others have found a solid performing version of Avast that we want to use and do not understand why we are being forced to downgrade to the latest version - and have been using this version for over a year without any issues until now. 2014.9.0.2008.

Just because doing a clean install worked for you, do not assume that it will work for everyone as there are so many variations of operating systems, programs and other things involved with each individual.

For now i'm going to have to use a work around by blocking Avast updates - which is just pathetic and putting my computer at risk because of the incompetence of programmers.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:13:43 PM by hallucinogenix »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 03:22:37 PM »
If "do not update automaticly" is set and it still does...
Get the clue...
Either it is set to automatic update or it could be a "bug" in the 2008 version which only you seem to have.

Most logical and sensible solution...
Delete it completely and install 2014.9.0.2021

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 03:52:47 PM »
OMG this is hard work - What's with the standard response of ' Please remove completely and install the lastest version ' - I've already said this doesn't help, i'm surprised nobody has asked me to re-boot or whether i have a power supply.

Come on guys admit there is an issue and try to give some non standard responses to help fix the problem.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 04:07:33 PM »
What OS/SP?
How did you perform the remove/install of avast?
What other security applications do you or did have installed?
If you removed them how exactly did you remove them?

PS:
There is nothing wrong with keeping your software updated.

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 04:20:31 PM »
More standard questions ... face palm !

Over the last year i have changed nothing, so these questions are totally irrelevant, and probably taken from a laminated piece of A4 on your desk.

I can 100% tell you it is something to do with an update that Avast have released that is forcing my version to update automatically to a version that will not run on my machine NO MATTER WHAT I DO ! - what is there not to understand in that sentence ?

So my question is why have Avast done this and is there nothing that can be done to reverse this update or remove it from the update servers.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 04:48:16 PM »
Why do you complain and not be willing to accept help?
Stop wasting our time or start providing the information we are asking for.

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 04:59:20 PM »
OMG this is hard work - What's with the standard response of ' Please remove completely and install the lastest version '

If I missed where you said you freshly installed the latest version (not as an upgrade), I'm sorry.  But you haven't exactly been clear.

After cleaning your system with avastclear, then installing the very latest version afresh, what are the specific problems you're having?

P.S., maybe you think you're talking to Avast personnel here.  We're just users like you who manage to get the software to work, and like to help others do the same.

-Noel
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:02:29 PM by NoelC »

REDACTED

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2014, 05:00:44 PM »
I have the same problem, I was using Avast 2014.9.0.2008 but it updated without my permission to 2014.9.0.2021. The reason I was using the older version is that every newer version wont let me browse internet, the pages load very long, load partialy or not load at all, I have to disable Avast shields to do browse the internet. The problem started with version 2014.9.0.2011 but I was able to use it aplying fix found here: https://feedback.avast.com/responses/cannot-access-a-website-since-updating-to-2014902011
But that fix didnt work for newer versions, so I went back to 2014.9.0.2008, now that it secretly updated I have to disable shields again to browse the internet.