Author Topic: Avast internet security automatically updated without permission.  (Read 39170 times)

REDACTED

Re: Avast internet security automatically updated without permission.
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2014, 05:15:59 PM »
Is there a solution to this yet; or any knowledge of what has occurred? As I said, when this first happened I was notified that the Avast component emhwid had created a service. This has never happened before. I do not know what the Avast component emhwid means, but can guess maybe that it means emergency hardware identification - or something else, I'm not sure.

Should I go back to version 8? Or use another AV?

REDACTED

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2014, 05:18:49 PM »
@ Ragesh

Thank you ragesh for pointing out the same issue as myself, but if you are hoping for any help in this particular Subject, then you may as well bang your head against a wall, as it is impossible to get them to understand that we are having problems with the latest version that cannot be fixed, and they will just repeat at you to uninstall / remove and update to the latest version.

Again it is impossible to get them to understand that Avast Version 2014.9.0.2008 is the most up to date version that is stable on our particular setups that will give us permanent internet access without any issues.

The only thing i can suggest to you is to reinstall the version 2014.9.0.2008 that works and to block the avast updater / installer from accessing the servers using a firewall - unfortunately this stops you from getting the latest Virus Definitions too , but i don't think Avast care about that ! But at least it gets you back online with some sort of temporary protection.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:22:09 PM by hallucinogenix »

REDACTED

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2014, 05:24:14 PM »
No one from Avast has been here in this thread as far as I can see.

As a fellow user, based on your (and others') reports over the past couple of days, I've come to accept that Avast's emergency updater must have received instructions that you have to be updated to the latest version, and I can fully understand why Avast would want to do that.  What if, for example, the latest version 9 virus database contains something that the older version 9 software just can't deal with.

Now, if Avast's aggressiveness in keeping you protected with the latest software isn't to your liking - and they ARE aggressive, make no mistake - the answer may be to seek an alternative program.

In my opinion you should try to work out the specific problems with the latest version rather than continue to try to use an old version that Avast no longer thinks you should be allowed to run.

There have been known problems with updates where the software doesn't work properly after the update.  I suggest a full uninstall via avastclear, then a clean install of the latest version.  Then open a new thread with any problems you have with that version.

It's not reasonable to continue to want to run an old version of software that's specifically designed to update itself in a web-integrated way, and I suspect you'll get less help trying to do that than in working out the problems you have with the latest version.

-Noel

Edit: Added missing word
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:30:30 PM by NoelC »

REDACTED

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2014, 05:30:36 PM »
@ jacemace

No help has been forthcoming whatsoever, and my questions regarding the forced update have been totally ignored and users even blaming me for not supplying pointless information.

See my previous post for the best work around i have found so far, but far from perfect :(

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2014, 05:30:57 PM »
And they are missing this:

Fully rewritten WebShield so that it now doesn't work as a "transparent proxy" anymore, which should result in an overall improvement in stability and performance. It also allows to see and detect more threats
The Firewall component (in IS and Premier) has been made more compatible with other applications, such as Java and various VPN services
The installer/updater has been improved to allow more reliable installation in case of infected machines
The changes in the File System Shield's driver should result in faster performance, especially in the copy files and install programs scenarios
Browser Cleanup tool beefed up to be able to rip off even the more stubborn toolbars
For trialware users, we have also added an interactive tutorial that explains all the features of the product in a straightforward, concise manner
Connectivity to the new avast! GrimeFighter product
SafePrice is a new, optional module of the Avast browser plugins. It's designed to combine security (hence the "safe" part) with best deals (hence the "price") into one, easy-to-use module
FIXED: Uninstalling avast might hang at "stopping service: avast! antivirus"
FIXED: Upload issues for Dropbox and Flickr
Performance and stabilization fixes in Stream Filter - e.g blocking of ajax calls
Several firewall fixes - e.g. blocking of Google Earth
Stability improvements - several crashes fixed
Stream Filtering - fixed stability and compatibility issues, it's running smooth and fast now, so no more browsing problems
ARA/ARC - implemented internal architecture improvements, if you can, please test these components, thanks a lot
Firewall - the firewall should be more stable and with better compatibility with other network applications
Improved! Software Updater - new installation wizard lets you download and install multiple updates at once directly from download.com
Improved! Browser Cleanup - improved detection and removal of browser protectors, those tools that try to block us from getting rid of annoying toolbars
Improved! GrimeFighter - now supporting 12 additional languages and with an advanced console for more control of optimization tasks. Go ahead and fight the Grime!
Stream Filtering – fixed stability and compatibility issues, it's running smooth and fast now
Firewall – the firewall should be more stable and with better compatibility with other network applications.
Android protection - we can protect (if you wish) your Android phones and tablets with avast! Free Mobile Security (through your active Google Account) automatically (during the installation or update)
Stability & performance improvements
Improved the security of the product
Added "resume" support in the setup component
New version of the antispam library
Added warnings during the installation process for compatibility purposes
Ability to disable promotion popups (paid versions only)
General bugfixing

REDACTED

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2014, 05:44:38 PM »
I have searched for the Avast component emhwid on my computer, and it is not found on it. It is from the server - I guess that it's a new bit of programming that forces updates. Does anyone know how good version 8 of Avast is? Or should I use another AV?

REDACTED

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2014, 06:07:57 PM »
So I did this https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=147943.msg1074614#msg1074614 and it didnt fixed the problem. I believe that the webshield is causing it, it all started with update to 2014.9.0.2011 which changes webshield: Fully rewritten WebShield so that it now doesn't work as a "transparent proxy" anymore, which should result in an overall improvement in stability and performance. It also allows to see and detect more threats. I say'd before i was able to use that version by this fix, which I believe comes from this forum:
Hallo, we have discovered an issue in new WebShield implementation. This is probably reason of your problems. We are preparing fix for that.

Meanwhile you can try to switch to old WebShield implementation. To do that, please

Go to C:\programdata\avast software\avast directory

Find the WebShield.ini, file and add following lines:

[General]

UseStreamFilter=0

Now restart „avast! Antivirus“ service, or reboot

But it seems that this was not fixed and I cant switch to old WebShield implementation in most recent avast versions. My solution was to use the last working version of avast 2014.9.0.2008, but now I cant go back as its auto updates itself.

REDACTED

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2014, 06:52:58 PM »
You're most likely to make progress if you:

A.  Start a new thread.

B.  Describe "the problem" in detail.  What doesn't work?  Don't assume you know why, just describe what's not working with what application in very specific terms.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2014, 07:14:57 PM »
@ NoelC

I think you're right regarding Avast's Agressive Tactics of using the Emergency Update to force the main program to update regardless of user settings and consequence, and leave it's loyal user base totally unprotected against viruses - But hey as long as we have the latest version, that makes everything ok even though it doesn't work ! - Wow that makes great sense !

Thank you for the insight of the attitude of the Avast Team towards it's users, i shall use my position to spread the word to the world how they feel about their users and how if they don't like it then tough - Now that's customer service to be admired :)

Microsoft had a very similar attitude when they released Windows 8 and Xbox One and i think it is fair to say that back fired quite nicely.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 07:28:46 PM by hallucinogenix »

REDACTED

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2014, 07:22:27 PM »
Reinstalled 9.0.2008 in 30 day trial mode - still updated to 9.0.2021 automatically and unauthorized. Does anyone know if version 8 or 7 will do this? Also,where are the avast reps, with any help/answers?

REDACTED

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2014, 07:42:57 PM »
Back in November, I believe it was, my computer started routinely freezing up, requiring a manual shut down. After researching the problem some, I came across others of whom seemed to be suffering the same issue; the one constant was that we all noticed this problem began shortly after agreeing to update Avast. Reverting back to v2014.9.0.2008 did the trick, and, whilst I had hoped future versions would sort this, I hadn't looked into it since.

Earlier today, I got a pop-up, upon starting my computer, indicating that my Avast update would be complete once I click "Continue," with an option to opt in/out of a Google Chrome browser install (opted out, myself); with the only other option being to minimize, I obliged, checked the program version, and, sure enough, Avast had updated to v2014.9.0.2021, despite being set to "ask first" (as I had prior confirmed it was so set).

I'd have gladly left it, and had done, for a time, before the issue I was suffering last year resurfaced. After a number of tries, I was finally able to re-install v2014.9.0.2008, set it from "ask first" to "manual update," and even restarted a few times, to be sure everything would remain, with success. A little later on, however, I was greeted by the aforementioned pop-up, with the option to opt out of Google Chrome's browser installation, v2014.9.0.2021 installed, and my computer freezing problems resuming.

I can appreciate the concern of a few posting in here, but, certainly empathize with the OP and others expressing their frustrations at some of the responses seeming only to "put them through the paces," as it were. I think we can all agree that, all things equal, EVERYONE here would like to be using the latest version of Avast, and that it's likely long been our preferred anti-virus software.. so, there's no need to be on the defensive; remember that the people with which you are speaking are hamstrung, at the moment, with this problem, and are already a bit worn out from the bout.

Do Avast staff ever really respond to threads like these, anyway (honest question)?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:49:49 AM by JuliquE »

REDACTED

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2014, 07:57:16 PM »
The update is now purely automated and without consent. I am hoping the the reps/programmers are working "behind the scenes" and finding out what has occurred, and a solution for it; unless, of course, this is of their own device and intent (I hope not). I am wondering if they will try to assist on this forum. For me v9.0.2008 is the best and only one version I use because of its sublime operation and insofar, low-key flawlessness.

REDACTED

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2014, 08:06:13 PM »
I think this is of their own volition regardless of consequence, and the overwhelming attitude appears to be like it or lump it !

.... or you could remove using avastclear and re-install the latest version or re-boot... i'm afraid that is the goto and all they have - lol

I personally think the lastest version of Avast still has the conflicting issue that the new and improved 'Webshield' inflicted on certain users, which did have a sort of temporary fix by changing the 'UseStreamFilter' etc mentioned on this forum, however this fix never worked 100% for me, and the only fix was to revert back to Avast Version 2014.9.0.2008, but now this option has been removed due to the auto update we are all totally stuck and NOBODY seems to careless.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:15:41 PM by hallucinogenix »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2014, 08:15:10 PM »
I think this is of their own volition regardless of consequence, and the overwhelming attitude appears to be like it or lump it !
How do you come to this conclusion ??? no avast member has yet replied and being the weekend it may take some time for a response.