Author Topic: Avast internet security automatically updated without permission.  (Read 39050 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast internet security automatically updated without permission.
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2014, 08:18:36 PM »
JuliquE,
if you want help, please start your own thread.

jacemace,
"The update is now purely automated and without consent." No it is not. I still get asked what to do if a update is available.

hallucinogenix,
the only thing you have done sofar is crying like a little baby.
You keep refusing to give information.
How do you expect to get help if you don't?
You keep refusing to try what we suggest.
How do you expect to get help if you don't?
Welcome to the real world where things are working different than in your dream world.
If you don't like/want avast, remove it and go use something else.
No-one is forcing you to use it, it is your own choice.

REDACTED

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2014, 08:27:26 PM »
@ eddy

I don't want things to get personal and would prefer to keep things professional, however in what way have you helped anybody in any way ?

All you have is... remove using avastclear etc and re-install the latest version - You just can't seem to comprehend that this does not work, do you not thoroughly read users posts ?

But lets call this quits as i don't want to get petty - Thank you

REDACTED

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2014, 09:05:16 PM »
But hey as long as we have the latest version, that makes everything ok even though it doesn't work ! - Wow that makes great sense !
It works for most folks.  I believe it could be made to work for you.  It's hard to imagine your Windows setup is so different that it couldn't.  But you seem closed off already to trying to make it work.

Best of luck to you.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2014, 09:05:50 PM »
Eddy, you are absolutely mendacious - purposefully or not. I installed v9.0.2008 4 times and it updated surreptitiously (in the background) without consent to the latest version 9.0.2021 - when program updates are set to manual.

More importantly, I am waiting for a response to see why this is occurring.

I will check this thread at a later date.

REDACTED

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2014, 09:14:04 PM »
I can imagine that people who keep their version current get asked whether they'd like to update, and when the installed version gets SO far out of date that it the engine can no longer work with the current virus definitions a program update is forced via the emergency update process.

Why is the sense in this difficult for people to understand?

You folks having problems with the update need to try the full removal via Avastclean and install of the latest version, determine whether it works for you, then if it doesn't start a fresh thread on the specific problem you're having with the latest version.  There you will be asked for specific information that can be used by experts to help you make it work right.

You're clearly no longer going to be able to run the old version of the engine.  Time to move on!

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2014, 09:23:22 PM »
@ NoelC

I'm not in any way closed off, in fact i'm totally open to any of your suggestions / fixes and totally understand that yes it probably works for most users.

I have already tried to uninstall / remove using 'avastclear' and installed the lastest version, which stopped all 3 of my web browsers from loading pages completely if at all. Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer.

You would of course realise i've tried this if you had read my posts.

System Setup:-
Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Zonealarm 9 (which i have removed and tested)
Browsers as above

Why don't you give me 'one' suggestion to fix the problem other than the one above instead of just criticising me and say that i'm being obtuse.

And it's hard to understand being forced to update to a version thats seems to be incompatible on our setup that leaves us all totally unprotected from Viruses - Where is the sense in that  ? How is this an improvement ?

I'd appreciate any help you can give us.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 09:30:09 PM by hallucinogenix »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2014, 09:23:36 PM »
jacemace, it does ask me what to do when a update is available. So I'm not mendacious.
Besides, when it comes to security always have the latest updates installed.
What is so hard to understand about that?
Just get over and done with it.
Stop crying and install the latest version.
It will give you(r system) better protection and that is what matters.

hallucinogenix,
you are forgetting a major important thing.
We can't see your system and what is going on.
That is why you need to provide information if you want help.
So, you have used avastclear.
But did you also use Rezjor's util?
Did you disable/remove Windows Defender?
Besides ZA, do you or did you have any other security software installed?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 09:27:06 PM by Eddy »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2014, 09:25:40 PM »
Zonealarm 9 (which i have removed and tested)
Uninstall ZA and try again.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2014, 09:27:32 PM »
JuliquE,
if you want help, please start your own thread.

A senseless act, if ever there was one; only logical for one suffering the same issue, as is here listed, to contribute by adding perspective, as from his/her own unique experience with said issue.

A bit confused as to why some of you are replying to this thread; if you don't feel like myself or someone else is conforming to what you expect of anyone seeking help, then, after trying once already, just ignore the thread. Looks silly for you to be getting into a back and forth exchange on the ethics of posting; it's not your thread and you're not being forced to participate in it. You've said your piece and tried to help, where you could -- move on.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2014, 09:28:26 PM »
 hallucinogenix@ have you performed a clean install of avast without Zonealarm ??? there has been many issues between ZA and avast and it wouldn't surprise me is ZA is somehow corrupting the avast installs again :-\

REDACTED

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2014, 09:32:52 PM »
I'm not in any way closed off...
I'd appreciate any help you can give us.
I have given you several suggestions already:  One of them, which you have ignored, is to start a new thread.  This thread is about an automatic unprompted update, and you're not the only one here talking about that.

Don't be surprised when you're asked for more specifics.  You simply haven't specified all of what you've done (did you run Avastclear?  What else?), only that you've installed the latest version and you're prevented from loading web pages.  You haven't even described what features you've installed with the installer.

My first suggestion, if you do choose to be open to trying to make it work, will be in your new thread.  I'm sure others will have suggestions as well.  Mine might involve asking you to disable all the "tools" in the center column of the Avast installer so that only the three shields are on the job, and see how that affects things.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2014, 09:39:40 PM »
@ craigB

Thank you, at last the first genuine helpful response from somebody instead of skirting round the subject.

I haven't tried that yet, and will give it a try.

@eddy

Polite request :-
Please don't respond to any of my posts - Thank you

REDACTED

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2014, 09:58:15 PM »
Eddy, this is not about saline drops from the lacrimal gland - that is extraneous and superfluous. This is objective - v2008 performs better and is less "intrusive". I understand that programs from developers will always update - but I usually wait until better (stable, less buggy, better performing etc.) versions come out. That's why I have also not updated malwarebytes and comodo.

I am thinking about running combofix to delete obsolete avast entries, and also advance systemcare to delete registry entries. I always uninstall avast with revo uninstaller and the avast uninstall utilities. It is a clean install. As I said the Avast service component emhwid started and now all installations of Avast are updated furtively, with no recourse. Why is this happening?

REDACTED

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2014, 03:36:26 AM »
This is the worst version I've ever used (v9.0.2021) - the AvastUi has actually frozen in the taskbar, when I right-clicked it. This has never happened in any version of Avast I've ever used (v4-9v). It is very buggy, and slows my computer right down. I need v9.0.2008 back, and for it to stay that way.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2014, 08:51:49 AM »
I am thinking about running combofix to delete obsolete avast entries, and also advance systemcare to delete registry entries. I always uninstall avast with revo uninstaller and the avast uninstall utilities. It is a clean install. As I said the Avast service component emhwid started and now all installations of Avast are updated furtively, with no recourse. Why is this happening?
Running combofix without guidance from a trained malware technician could be detrimental to your system.

Running Advanced System Care can also be detrimental to your system ( Iobit is also untrustworthy company ) at it doesn't play well with avast either.

Revo uninstaller should not be used to remove security software, it also has a habit of removing shared dll's.

If you have used these programs previously then that could be the root cause of your issues now :-\