Author Topic: Avast internet security automatically updated without permission.  (Read 39178 times)

REDACTED

Re: Avast internet security automatically updated without permission.
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2014, 09:40:34 AM »
I've uninstalled Avast Internet Security, and installed the free antivirus version 9.0.2008 to test if another version of Avast would force the program version update without permission, when updates are set to manual or ask - it still updated automatically behind the scene without permission to 9.0.2021. Also, I've also tried to insert the license emailed to me, and I've received the message "  is not a valid license key". So it is only good for 30 days, not a year. What is going on with Avast development? These two versions that I've tried, update without permission.

On a side note the forum was down for a while today - and I went to wikipedia to look for the history of Avast and found out that the wiki page has an issue with a major contributer having a close connection with the subject - the entry is not written well, but if it is true that Avast developed the software with so few employees, and yet have so many millions of users, I give credit to them.

That being said, I have been a user for basically 10 years, since version 4.5, and have never had a problem like this occur. Should I try something else like Qihoo? Although 360 Security has had an issue with one of their versions, and they are going to supposedly drop Internet Security, and go with just Total Security, their detection rate has now surpassed Avast. Also they are also rumored to "spy" on users, and glean personal information. But Majorgeeks gives them a 5 rating out of 40 votes. And in Wilders Security forum most of the posters support them.

I would really like to keep Avast, but this unsolicited, unpermitted, automatic updating of the program is too much - from the version that worked so well, and sublimely v2008, to the version that doesn't work for me, v2021.

Please, any help on the covert, unwanted program update, and now also why the emailed free antivirus key "is not a valid license key!"

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 09:52:42 AM by jacemace »

REDACTED

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2014, 10:36:46 AM »
You can try what I suggested to another user with the same problem.  It didn't work for him, but it might for you...it can't hurt to try.  http://rejzor.wordpress.com/avast-cleanup-tool/ -- you do the regular Avast Uninstall in Safe Mode but this is a special tool to get rid of remnants since you want to go back to an older version.  Reboot.  This may be causing the problem.  Give it a try, clean you machine and report back.  Thank you.

REDACTED

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2014, 10:38:36 AM »
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I has used it before , a year or two ago - but forgot about it.

REDACTED

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2014, 10:40:54 AM »
We will await your reply.  Thank you.

REDACTED

« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2014, 11:30:09 AM »
That uninstall tool didn't work - it crashed. I used the Avast clear uninstall tool from Avast. I decided to install a previous version of Avast - even though the download dialogue strongly recommended against it - and gave the recommended option to download the latest version. I am now using a version I had loved from the past, and forgot how good it was.

REDACTED

« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2014, 11:42:30 AM »
@ Jacemace

Is the updater not updating you to the lastest version anymore... have you tried updating the virus definitions without issues ?

REDACTED

« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2014, 11:51:07 AM »
Yes, virus definitions are updated, and this version has stayed and is very light - not buggy and does not slow the computer performance.

REDACTED

« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2014, 12:01:18 PM »
is that the version 2014.9.0.2008 that we had the same problem of updating automatically without our consent ?

... if so, i wonder if the latest update on server of Virus Definitions has removed the forced update in some way.

Please let me know if you get forced update over the next few days again ! - If not i will join you and revert back unless somebody can resolve the issue with the updated webshield on the lastest version.

Thanks

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2014, 05:18:53 PM »
Hi all,

yes the version 2006,2007 and 2008 were forced to the latest version 2021. These versions are obsolete with minor share and for us it's difficult to keep them up to date via additional updates. Version 2021 is public for few weeks and so far running well for most of the users. If you still feel that version 2021 is not the right for you then please install the previous version 2018.

Martin

REDACTED

« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2014, 08:54:28 PM »
@ MartinZ

Hi Martin

So to conclude, the Avast philosophy is:- rather than give customers the option to update to the lastest version, you would prefer to leave them with a totally unprotected system with a product that doesn't work on their particular system by forcing them to use it.

Forgive me for being rather naive but doesn't that go against everything that a security company like yours is established - or maybe the company has outgrown the customers considerations and you couldn't care less.

Again forgive for being naive but wouldn't it have been better to just stop supplying automated updated virus definitions to that particular older version and maybe inform the customer of the situation of your intention of this, giving them the option to make a considered decision.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2014, 10:00:33 PM »
I believe that MartinZ gave a viable explanation and highly doubt that it needs your interpretation.
I personally have no problems understanding his statement and certainly don't need it paraphrased.  :o
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2014, 10:15:59 PM »
Well 'I' think you're wrong and that's my opinion, and don't care what 'you' have to say !
'I' personally have no problems understanding his comments either and simply gave my opinion of them, i guess the truth is hard to swallow for blinkered people !
But 'I' would prefer to hear his response NOT yours ! >:(

REDACTED

« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2014, 10:40:40 PM »
To MartinZ - thanks for the explanation, I finally know why this occurred. To hallucinogenix - I've abandoned v9 altogether, but now the Avast version I'm using has the Microsoft Action Center problem from this post https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=123091.0 - hopefully the posted solutions in the forum posts will work.

But now that I know what occurred; that v9.0.2006 to v9.02008 were abandoned and forced to update, I may try v9.0.2018; but as I said v9.0.2008 worked so well, and I am wary of trying v9.02018.

On a side note - now all my anti-malware programs are previous versions; with Comodo and Malwarebytes being previous versions also.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 10:42:41 PM by jacemace »

REDACTED

« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2014, 10:54:36 PM »
I confirm I have the same issue as reported by jacemace, hallucinogenix, Hectic4409, Ragesh and
JuliquE.

Also on my system Avast versions after 2014.9.0.2008 are not working. These versions all result in the "You are unprotected" issue, e.g. Avast non-functional. Based on other posts in this forum (search for "unprotected") it's clear that many people are affected by this issue.

My system, Windows XP SP3, might be atypical, from Avast point of view, that is, not covered by their regression tests. At least I assume Avast is doing regression testing before releasing a new version of their software.

What's atypical in my case is that I did not install avast on the Windows system drive (drive C:) but on a different partition (drive D:). Furthermore my drive C: and my drive D: are using different filesystems, NTFS and FAT32 respectively.

I'm really curious if the systems of jacemace, hallucinogenix, Hectic4409, Ragesh and JuliquE also have such an "atypical" setup.

If so, then maybe Avast versions after 2014.9.0.2008 have problems with "mixed" filesystems.

An Avast user reported an issue with mixed filesystems in March 15, 2014. See:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=147618.msg1072006#msg1072006

To jacemace, hallucinogenix, Hectic4409, Ragesh and JuliquE:
- Did you install Avast on a different partition then the Windows system drive (C:)?
- Do you have different filesystems on the C drive and the partition where Avast is installed?

REDACTED

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2014, 10:59:44 PM »
@ jacemace

Thanks very much for the update - if you end up giving v2018 a try, please let me know how you get on as i think you may run into similar problems as i think the webshield is not compatible for us on any version after v2008.

I tried everything to get v2021 to work but gave up and i've gone back to v2008 and blocked the updater with my firewall as it still tried to update to the latest version at my end.

At least i have a webshield for now and better than nothing, but not sure if Windows will hassle me to say my definitions are out of date further down the line.

I also found v2021 to be very buggy and crashed when turning the webshield on or off which only a restart resolved and also using the uninstaller locked up half way through and left files on my computer that avastclear wouldn't remove - Great !

Thanks again though :)

Addition:-

@ marlo
Sorry to hear your having problems too, but can confirm we seem to have completely different systems as i'm Windows 7 SP1 and installed on drive C: with no partitions !

You could try my workaround above to get you by for now as the Avast Team have deserted us and will just tell you to do a clean install using avastclear etc.

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 11:08:01 PM by hallucinogenix »