Author Topic: Avast internet security automatically updated without permission.  (Read 39048 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast internet security automatically updated without permission.
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2014, 06:08:22 PM »
And there he goes again:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 10:39:20 PM by Eddy »

REDACTED

« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2014, 07:31:41 PM »
I would love to hear your opinions of AVG even though you say you won't be back - I'm reluctant to swap as i've been a user of avast for about 8 years, but am being forced to find an alternative.

I guess I was always going to have a gander at any possible replies, just in case there was anything worth coming back to.

AVG, for me, has always been sitting in the reserve; I mentioned, earlier in the thread, that for about a decade, now, give or take, I've been using Avast. Were it possible for me to use Avast, sans hassle, I must say I would do.. however, AVG enjoys a great reputation (preferred by many, as well).

Interface seems easy to use; they have an up-sell portion of it, that you can hide, with a single click. Seems to automatically employ some basic level PC optimization, which has seen my start-up time 12% faster (reports this to you, just the once). It's free version doesn't have a shield for downloads, like that for Avast, but, it was seldom noticed, to be fair (I could maybe count on my hands how many precautionary messages I've received for any downloads, over the years). Otherwise, it offers a fairly comprehensive Webshield.

Just a couple days in, but, so far, so good. If/when I get a new system, I'll likely return to Avast (worth noting that this problem persisted, even after a fresh reformatting).. but, until then, I really couldn't be arsed to get to the bottom of what's causing the issue (may be naive, on my part.. but, I suppose I am so entitled).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 07:53:54 PM by JuliquE »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2014, 07:36:33 PM »
As already mentioned earlier please move your discussions about AVG to PM or email, this is the avast forum... not AVG ::)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2014, 08:06:41 PM »
Hi guys,

The older builds of Avast 2014 are not supported anymore as the new VPS requires the latest versions (R3 or R4 builds) which means that any attempt to update the virus definitions from those old builds will automatically force update of the program as well.

Sorry if this is disappointing but we really can't support the myriad of historical builds.
If you have any issues with the latest build, let's focus on fixing those.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

REDACTED

« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2014, 04:45:25 AM »

Thanks
Vlk

Well that's going to be a little hard to do if users are forced to uninstall Avast and install another working antivirus. In my case, that's what I had to do because after the 2014.9.0.2021 update, my computer loses internet connection and freezes after about 20 minutes, forcing me to reset only for it to happen again. I had the same problem with the December 2013 and January 2014 updates but I was able to rollback to a November 2013 version which I used until I was forced to update to 2014.9.0.2008 -- which surprisingly was stable on my system. But with this current forced update, my only solution was to uninstall Avast and install a different antivirus.

P.S. I turned off the Web Shield and that didn't solve the problem. I completely uninstalled Avast, using the uninstaller, and then re-installed it. I did it twice and that didn't help, either.

=========

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2014, 05:02:44 AM »
Well that's going to be a little hard to do if users are forced to uninstall Avast and install another working antivirus.
Forced?

In my case, that's what I had to do because after the 2014.9.0.2021 update, my computer loses internet connection and freezes after about 20 minutes, forcing me to reset only for it to happen again. I had the same problem with the December 2013 and January 2014 updates but I was able to rollback to a November 2013 version which I used until I was forced to update to 2014.9.0.2008 -- which surprisingly was stable on my system. But with this current forced update, my only solution was to uninstall Avast and install a different antivirus.
If you make a clean installation (from scratch and using the avast! tool to uninistall) of the latest version (and have no incompatibility software), I see not a reason for avast! not work smoothly.
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2014, 07:25:41 AM »
To hallucinogenix: I think Vlk answered your question - it looks like that if you use the offline vps definitions update from Avast, that your program version will update - I didn't know that; but for all intents and purposes, I would actually give it a try - now don't hold that against me - it's not a recommendation, it's just something I would do, and I tend to try everything and anything to get something to work - so personally, that is what I would do, try the offline update, and see if just the vps definitions update; and hopefully the program version doesn't update. If it does, have a copy of version 9.0.2008 ready, and reinstall that version - and continue to block the program update with your firewall, and unfortunately you will also have the outdated definitions. That being said, as I posted in my original post I suspect the culprit, which I am guessing is sent over the Avast servers, is a service called emhwid from Avast. My program ProcessHacker noticed it and notified me of it in an info pop-up bubble from the taskbar. The thing is, I think the Avast servers send it, it updates the program version, and then it is deleted by the servers I guess. Which seams kind of sneaky. I have searched for emhwid on my computer, and it is not there. Maybe you could block the service emhwid with your firewall, or a HIPS. And the vps definitions could update, but not the program version - although this seems difficult, and probably technically not possible. PS, I think emhwid means emergency hardware identification - or something to the effect, that Avast created to update program versions they consider obsolete and abandoned.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 07:29:17 AM by jacemace »

REDACTED

« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2014, 08:43:09 AM »
As already mentioned earlier please move your discussions about AVG to PM or email, this is the avast forum... not AVG ::)
Surely, Avast wouldn't begrudge a couple disgruntled users, of whom are reluctantly contemplating a switch to another anti-virus software, with hopes of returning, in future, for discussing possible alternatives. Were we to have been plastering this rhetoric all over the boards, then you would have a case. Our last couple posts, after trying as much as our nerves would allow us to fix Avast, is hardly something for you to, AGAIN, return to this thread. Why are you here, mate -- seriously?!

Having happily used their services for a decade or so, give or take, I'd like to think that they would be grateful that, all things considered, I leave them relatively pleased with their work, and with an eye on returning.

I'm not too concerned about some random forum spammer, to be honest.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:46:48 AM by JuliquE »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2014, 08:51:11 AM »
Surely, Avast wouldn't begrudge a couple disgruntled users, of whom are reluctantly contemplating a switch to another anti-virus software, with hopes of returning, in future, for discussing possible alternatives.

Having happily used their services for a decade or so, give or take, I'd like to think that they would be grateful that, all things considered, I leave them relatively pleased with their work, and with an eye on returning.

I'm sure avast wouldn't begrudge you for having some issues but this is still the avast forum and good forum ethics suggests that discussions about direct competition software should not be discussed on the forum, this is what the pm function can be used for.

Thankyou

REDACTED

« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2014, 08:54:01 AM »
@ juliquE

I have sent you a pm, just in case you miss it :)

@ jacemace

I will message you later with an update :)

REDACTED

« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2014, 08:59:06 AM »
Surely, Avast wouldn't begrudge a couple disgruntled users, of whom are reluctantly contemplating a switch to another anti-virus software, with hopes of returning, in future, for discussing possible alternatives.

I'm sure avast wouldn't begrudge you for having some issues but this is still the avast forum and good forum ethics suggests that discussions about direct competition software should not be discussed on the forum, this is what the pm function can be used for.

Thankyou
You're being ridiculous; the conversation isn't heating up, or anything -- quite the contrary, as it's dying down, following a couple direct mentions that I was about done here. By immaturely responding, after my every post NOT directed at you, you're only drawing things out further (unnecessarily, I might add).

Thank you.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2014, 09:07:07 AM »
I have to disagree with you there sorry, by not listening to the suggestions and advice given it is your own immature responses that are drawing this topic out further "unnecessarily" as if you had of adhered to my first suggestion ( or Bob's ) of moving your off topic discussions to the pm function then none of these recent pointless posts would be here would they ::) 

REDACTED

« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2014, 09:15:04 AM »

Thanks
Vlk

Well that's going to be a little hard to do if users are forced to uninstall Avast and install another working antivirus. In my case, that's what I had to do because after the 2014.9.0.2021 update, my computer loses internet connection and freezes after about 20 minutes, forcing me to reset only for it to happen again. I had the same problem with the December 2013 and January 2014 updates but I was able to rollback to a November 2013 version which I used until I was forced to update to 2014.9.0.2008 -- which surprisingly was stable on my system. But with this current forced update, my only solution was to uninstall Avast and install a different antivirus.

P.S. I turned off the Web Shield and that didn't solve the problem. I completely uninstalled Avast, using the uninstaller, and then re-installed it. I did it twice and that didn't help, either.

=========

This has been, near enough, my EXACT experience, as noted earlier in the thread. Upon first encountering it, I swore it was just about time for me to reformat my computer, and had done.. all to no avail; the problem persisted, just the same.

Well that's going to be a little hard to do if users are forced to uninstall Avast and install another working antivirus.
Forced?

In my case, that's what I had to do because after the 2014.9.0.2021 update, my computer loses internet connection and freezes after about 20 minutes, forcing me to reset only for it to happen again. I had the same problem with the December 2013 and January 2014 updates but I was able to rollback to a November 2013 version which I used until I was forced to update to 2014.9.0.2008 -- which surprisingly was stable on my system. But with this current forced update, my only solution was to uninstall Avast and install a different antivirus.
If you make a clean installation (from scratch and using the avast! tool to uninistall) of the latest version (and have no incompatibility software), I see not a reason for avast! not work smoothly.

hahhahaaha You must be new, here. LAUL Oh, man.

@ juliquE

I have sent you a pm, just in case you miss it :)

@ jacemace

I will message you later with an update :)

Way ahead of you, mate; already replied.

I have to disagree with you there sorry, by not listening to the suggestions and advice given it is your own immature responses that are drawing this topic out further "unnecessarily" as if you had of adhered to my first suggestion ( or Bob's ) of moving your off topic discussions to the pm function then none of these recent pointless posts would be here would they ::) 

Agree to disagree, then.

Like I said: had we got into a tedious breakdown of our systems, in an individual thread, it would have only invoked a more vitriolic response.. as, in the end, Martin has explained it was a forced update, because they can no longer support those versions -- that's it; that's what we wanted to know: why we weren't able to use the older version, any more, killing our work-around (via forced updates).

Any individual threads on that problem would have been in vain.. so, I'm glad I, personally, never bothered making a separate thread and racking my brain over this.

Thank you.

REDACTED

« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2014, 07:43:07 PM »
Hi guys,
try disabling the streaming updates option, it seems to be this that overides preferred update options for program update. The setting is under settings -> cloud services.

on another note please Avast get rid of the damn capture verification thing unless you are going to use legible letters, took me three attempts to just log in! As for how many attempts to post this message, I won't comment.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2014, 09:18:33 PM »
Hi guys,
try disabling the streaming updates option, it seems to be this that overides preferred update options for program update. The setting is under settings -> cloud services.

on another note please Avast get rid of the damn capture verification thing unless you are going to use legible letters, took me three attempts to just log in! As for how many attempts to post this message, I won't comment.
You so want to turn off the part that protects you against the latest discovered infections ???
The captchas are there as a Spam deterrent for your first three posts.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet