Author Topic: Forced automatic update from 2014.9.0.2008 to 2014.9.0.2021 internet not working  (Read 8364 times)

REDACTED

SYSTEM DETAILS:-

Windows 7 home premium
Service pack 1
Zonealarm 9
Windows Defender and no other security
Browsers: Firefox (main), Chrome, Internet Explorer

INSTALL DETAILS:-

After removing with AvastClear several times again and again and again....

I have done a clean custom install, excluding all the non essential tools from the centre column and the install went through smoothly.

JUST TO RE-ITERATE:-
I have done done a clean install with and without avastclear many times including removing Zonealarm from my system.

PROBLEM:-

I have 3 different brand laptops in the house with the same system setup as detailed above.
And over the last few days all of them have been 'Automatically Forced' to upgrade to the latest version of Avast from 2014.9.0.2008 without my consent as all off them have 'Program Update' set to manual.

I have never had a single problem using the older version of avast, but now all 3 laptops will not load web pages completely using any browser unless i turn off the 'Webshield' under the active shield options, at this point i am usure of any other issues that may be caused with Webshield set to on.

As soon as i turn off the Webshield the problem dissappears.

I have created this subject away from another users similar post as apparently this makes a difference.

REDACTED

Are you connected to a home network?

Have you run any scans to make sure you are malware-free?

Please turn on your machine's firewall for protection since ZA is not installed.

REDACTED

Not connected to a homenetwork

Yes, used SuperAntispyware - but all 3 laptops have exactly the same error so this is very unlikely malware, and 100% a Webshield issue.

All Firewalls off.

REDACTED

For protection, please turn on the machine's internal firewall (FW) for now.

I know you've done the uninstall/install several times, but this is a different tool to get rid of remnants: [url]http://rejzor.wordpress.com/avast-cleanup-tool/[url].  Please try it on one of your machines and see if it works > reboot afterwards > update definitions > register and adjust settings.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:12:45 AM by SafeSurf »

REDACTED

Windows firewall back on

REDACTED

Sorry, I made some edits to my last post.  Did you see them?

REDACTED

Yes, i have downloaded a file called 'avastcleanuptool' - is that the correct item ?

and do i use it after doing a normal uninstall of Avast ?

If so, this will obviously take quite a long time to do !

REDACTED

Yes, that's the one.  You basically will do the usual Avast Uninstaller Tool in Safe Mode as usual, then run this other tool to get rid of remnants.  I'm wondering if these remnants are causing your problem since you are going from a higher version to a lower version.  I realize it will take a while, but as you said, you've been doing this so many times, it should come a little bit easier.  You may want to sign off-line to speed things up, then report back after doing it on one machine to let us know if it worked.  Does that sound acceptable to you?

REDACTED

Yes, i will give it a go on this machine and let you know...

REDACTED

OK.  We will await to hear back from you once you are done.  Good luck...I hope this works for you.

REDACTED

No luck, exactly the same as before.

I am now using it with the 'Webshield' turned off and it works fine, but as soon as i turn it on again the web pages will not load.

... and my laptop is now lightning fast with webshield turned off and after searching the web it seems that the new 'Webshield' is causing major issues for alot of users since 2013 which doesn't seem to be getting resolved.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 11:57:30 AM by hallucinogenix »

REDACTED

So has anybody on these forums got any other fix to Avast issues apart from doing a clean install, or is that the technical limit ?

I don't think i've seen any other advice than that !

REDACTED

At this point, you should submit a ticket.  Only do this once.  I'm very sorry this didn't fix the problem.  When you submit the ticket, you can copy and paste the url to this thread as to what you tried already to fix the problem.  Thank you.

REDACTED

@ SafeSurf

Hi SafeSurf, thanks for your polite and courteous advice / help - unfortunately i totally believe it is to do the with re-written webshield that just has too many issues and seems incompatible with certain setups of Windows 7 - Service Pack 1.

Therefore, i'm going to have to revert back to Avast 2014.9.0.2008, and block it from accessing the internet using Zonealarm, and stop the out of date definitions updater prompting me to update in the taskbar.

Then at least i have some sort of Webshield in place indefinitely - and then if Avast find a way of bypassing my security and corrupting this too without my consent, then i will have not alternative but to move to AVG.

It's a shame cause Avast used to be superb !
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 10:28:42 AM by hallucinogenix »

REDACTED

Did you check to make sure ZA isn't blocking anything with Avast?