Author Topic: MacBook Connections Blocked  (Read 2463 times)

REDACTED

MacBook Connections Blocked
« on: July 15, 2014, 12:08:53 AM »
After updating to Avast Ver9, most of my outside connections were blocked.
1. Couldn't surf the web (3 Different browsers)
2. Couldn't  look for apple updates or view the app store.
3. Couldn't update the Avast virus definitions.

I uninstalled AVAST this morning and my troubles are gone.

Offline rlgraymd

Re: MacBook Connections Blocked
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 02:37:29 AM »
I'm having similar issues with two Macbook Air's - both running 10.9.4.

One was running Avast 9.0 and 99% of the web traffic was blocked - only Google would work (Avast.com was blocked too). Turning off Web Shield and everything worked.

Another was running Avast 8 and everything worked well. To troubleshoot I upgraded to 9.0 and then my internet was blocked too. Again, turning off Web Shield allowed everything to work again.

There is something with 9.0 and 10.9.4.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 01:42:47 PM »
... running Avast 9.0 and 99% of the web traffic was blocked - only Google would work (Avast.com was blocked too). Turning off Web Shield and everything worked.

I had exactly this problem. One day (Sunday, July 20) everything on my MacBook Air was fine, and later that evening, suddenly, the only websites that would load were Google and my Outlook Web app. I tried about two dozen different sites, cleared all saved data, rebooted, etc. Checked my Internet connection, router, DNS, etc. Restarted the AirPort device.

On another Mac w/o Avast, all worked perfectly. So I disabled Avast Web Shield on the MacBook Air and -- hooray! -- the whole Internet worked again.

I have reported this issue in two forums here but I have received no usable advice so far.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 04:36:29 AM »
Had a similar problem with Safari.  Pages were not loading correctly or at all after updating to Mavericks 10.9.4 and Safari 7.0.5.  Disabled the Avast Extension and now Safari is working great again.  Extension gave no issues in Firefox 31.0 or Chrome Version 36.0.1985.125.