Author Topic: Computer lags bad when avast is running.  (Read 3715 times)

leafsfan1313

Computer lags bad when avast is running.
« on: July 24, 2005, 05:46:13 PM »
Hi all.

Hopefully someone can help me here, I'd really like to use Avast.

Anyway, what happends is I install Avast and everything goes fine. I restart the Computer, like it says to do. After avast is all on and everything, I can barely do a thing on the computer cause every 2 seconds it freezes. I can't even click anything during that time. After like 30 seconds, it unfreezes, but then it keeps doing it.

I've turned off the real-time stuff, and it works fine. However, that's the main reason I want avast is for that stuff. I'm not really sure why it freezes like that, I have all the system requirements.

Thanks for your time,

Jamie

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Computer lags bad when avast is running.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 05:51:34 PM »
Start with making sure that your system is clean from malware.
Follow the instructions on THIS PAGE.
Than come back here and let us know if you still have problems.
If so, provide more details like:

What OS are you using?
What exact version of Avast do you have?
What other security software do you have installed?
What other av do/did you have?
etc etc

leafsfan1313

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 08:59:47 PM »
Well, I ran a whole bunch of scans and they found nothing, except Ad-Aware found a few cookies, like usual.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition

Using Avast Version 4.6.691

I'm running MS Anti-Spyware, and Sygate Personal Firewall

I used to use Norton, but got rid of that like almost a year ago. I'm currently using AntiVir, but right now it's disabled since I'm  trying to get  Avast to work.

I wonder if it's because avast is scanning everything? When I surf around on the internet it goes really slow also.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 10:36:22 PM »
Hello and Welcome to forum leafsfan1313 !

Even if it's disabled, Antivir (another antivirus tool on your system) is there and present. It's been discussed many times before why it's not good.

This thread may help you to understand it little bit better:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13582.0

Pay attention to RejZoR's replies, like this one for example:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13582.msg115112#msg115112

Quote:
...AVs are very delicate stuff. They are not just programs. They are programs that work on low level (driver level). So it's very hard to make them NOT to walk over eachother...

...Get rid of one or another. Every AV recommends(at install point) to remove all currently installed AVs before installing them...

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

leafsfan1313

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 03:45:29 PM »
I just uninstalled AntiVir, and Avast seems to be working fine now.

Thanks for the responses.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 10:34:26 PM »
Just make sure AntiVir is completely uninstalled. Also, the good thing would be (once the AntiVir is completely uninstalled) to install avast! from the scratch... just to be sure all components of avast! are in it's original "shape".

Come back if you have any additional questions.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 10:35:57 PM by sZc »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

leafsfan1313

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 11:44:27 PM »
Hey again.

I just made sure antivir was uninstalled. I also saw another topic on here, and removed norton with some of the tools on the symantec web site. Avast works perfectly now.

Thank you for all your quick responses and support. It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks you ALWIL, for making such a great AV.

Again, many thanks for the great support here.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 11:46:21 PM by leafsfan1313 »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 12:51:07 AM »
Omg... you also had Norton installed along with avast! and AntiVir ? I'm trully surprised your system was even working my friend... sometimes, some people experience unbelievable huge amount of system crashes (BSOD - Blue Screens of Death), but very often they systems wouldn't even start. You are quite lucky...

Take care and come back if you have some questions or concerns... ok ?

Cheers !

leafsfan1313

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 03:28:56 AM »
It wasn't really installed, but there was some registry entries left.