Author Topic: Grimefighter - new user - very upset!  (Read 15903 times)

REDACTED

Grimefighter - new user - very upset!
« on: August 07, 2014, 06:26:22 AM »
Grimefighter said it found things, so on a whim I registered.  Windows 7.1

Now it is threatening to uninstall five programs !!! It's not at all clear whether it intends to uninstall on reboot, or whether I will get a chance to review the changes. I have uninstalled Grimefighter temporarily.  Fastest time from install to uninstall ever

I love Avast! and thought I was supporting a company that has done wonderful things for me by purchasing this additional feature, but this is just absolutely unacceptable. It is completely unclear whether this will uninstall software on reboot, or give a new scan on reboot, or give me a chance to review or what!

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
Re: Grimefighter - new user - very upset!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 01:10:28 PM »
Hi betsys,

GrimeFighter has an advanced console at the end of cleaning run, which happens when you boot into GrimeFighter.  The advanced console lets you choose what you want GrimeFighter to actually clean, completely customizable according to your needs.

Even if it removes something you realize you did not want it to, you can always revert back to the previous condition when rebooting into GrimeFighter the next time

Hope this helps.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 10:47:15 PM »
This advice doesn't help and when opting to "un-do" all Grimefighter changes, it DOES NOT revert the computer back to the condition before GrimeFighter ran.
Run Grimefighter at your own risk -- you will regret it.
... and Avast will try to charge you $199 one incident technical assistance charge, just to un-do what Grimefighter has broken.

https://feedback.avast.com/responses/grime-fighter-doesnt-work-it-made-my-computer-not-reboot-i-would-like-to-know-how-to-take-advantage-of-your-money-back-guarantee-please-fix-this-garbage

Avast Internet Security = great!
Avast Grimefighter = awful!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 10:58:49 PM by mik3 »

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 12:14:22 AM »
Glad I saw this topic, has persuaded me not to get it. I just had it come up saying it wanted to remove among other things what it classed as "unnecessary apps" of which it said there were 4 of them, and the only things I can think that it would consider apps are things I use on a daily basis.

If it wants to clean up things, it should at least say what it wants to clean up at the start - the very fact it didn't say what it wanted to clean up made me very wary of getting it, especially as it then said I had to pay (why would I want to pay for something to happen without knowing what it is and then find out it was actually something I didn't want to happen?)

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 08:35:52 AM »
New User.
I too have just bought Grimefighter and it will not run on my computer I rebooted my system using the grimefighter and it cannot run, I have ssd drives I don't know whether this is the problem, the software says my drives are encrypted.
I haven't encrypted them, it might be inbuilt into the drives for protection.
So I went on support tech told them my problem and asked for my monies back, filled in the tech form, they say they received it but my email server says it couldn't be sent.
 They have it says 24x7 phone support on the Avast internet Security interface so I'll try that later. I'll let you all know if I get any joy.
The support number for in the UK is 0203-608-7941 if anyone wants it.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 03:31:23 AM »
You know something is wrong with the product when you install a fresh OS, install avast, and then Grimefighter pops up saying you have Grime on the system.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 04:19:42 PM »
Thank you, but after I uninstalled, I rebooted and Grimefighter still came up. This is very distressing.

It's particularly  annoying since  I do remote boots and my computer was hanging at the grimefighter screen waiting for keyboard input
How can I uninstall this and get my money back?

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 04:28:34 PM »
To follow up to my own post, I got Grimefighter to uninstall by completely uninstalling Avast! Antivirus.

Too bad, I liked and trusted Avast but this incident has shaken my faith. Because
a) Grimefighter took over boot without asking
b) misleading error messages indicated that software would be deleted and
c) Grimefighter retained control over boot *even after that component was uninstalled*

Taking over boot == no second chances. I will be asking for my money back and switching to Kaspersky

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 05:52:02 PM »
To follow up to my own post, I got Grimefighter to uninstall by completely uninstalling Avast! Antivirus.

Too bad, I liked and trusted Avast but this incident has shaken my faith. Because
a) Grimefighter took over boot without asking
b) misleading error messages indicated that software would be deleted and
c) Grimefighter retained control over boot *even after that component was uninstalled*

Taking over boot == no second chances. I will be asking for my money back and switching to Kaspersky

I get concerned reading issues with boot-takeover such as yours and can certainly understand your distress.
I think it's reasonable to want control of your property and OS setup.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 01:52:20 AM »
Hi All,
Following the grime fighter again, the phone help just told me to go to avast, I put in submitted a support ticket, where the product isn't compatible with my system i just want my monies back.
It seems quite a few people are having similar problems.
Funny thing is I can log in here and when I submitted my ticket, but now it will not except my log in, so I can't view how it's doing.
What's annoying they know the product isn't working for some people so why don't they refund straight away.
Or just send you an email  telling you that they are refunding.
The money can be refunded as quickly as it's taken.
Good luck, everyone who is having problems, lets hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Sandy

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 11:19:51 AM »
Hello Sandy,

Have you received your money back yet?  If not, please post your ticket number here and I will follow up on it.

Thanks and apologies for this negative experience.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 01:01:36 PM »
When it comes to Grimefighter, count me among the disappointed as well. Not only does it take forever (and still no results!), I discovered in checking my account I bought TWO copies!! You could at least let a customer know they already have a license for it before they buy another one!!! I'M NOT HAPPY, AVAST! I want my money back.

Now.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 01:13:13 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 01:43:01 PM »
Tried that. Couldn't get in.  >:(

Also, reading the PCMag review (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c2817%2c2457784%2c00.asp) I discovered to my dismay that Grimefighter won't work on Windows 8.x systems. (And of course, my computer runs Win 8.1.) Damn, I wish I'd read that review before I bought Grimefighter the first time!

Now I REALLY want a refund!!!  >:(  >:(

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 01:44:54 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0