Author Topic: Black screen after selecting boot-time scan  (Read 5024 times)

REDACTED

Black screen after selecting boot-time scan
« on: August 06, 2014, 11:38:34 PM »
Hello,

I need big help with this. I installed Avast in my computer a few days ago, I had AVG before, but I uninstalled it before installing Avast, via the control panel. I did a quick scan, and after that the program suggested me to do a "boot-time scan", which I did. After the computer restarts by itself and hearing the "bip" my screen never came back, its black, and gives me no option at all, I can hear the drive working but it does not give me any options, no windows logo, I am not even able to go the the cmos, I tried restarting the computer several times, pressing F2, F8, F12, del, esc... and nothing works, is not a problem with the monitor, the monitor is fine, and is not a problem with the video card because it was completely fine before the restarting. I called tech support and they are telling me I have to pay $179 for an engineer to fix it, but I dont have that money right now. Supposedly I did not uninstalled AVG correctly and that is causing a conflict which is affecting my drives. Can anyone help with this? :-[ :-[ :-[

Thank you.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Black screen after selecting boot-time scan
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 11:44:16 PM »
You probably need to run the AVG "specific" uninstaller.
You will find it here
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 11:50:31 PM »
Yeap, the technical support told me I should uninstalled avg with at least 3 steps... the problem is that I can not pass the first "beep" the computer does when initiates, that means I cant do anything in my computer. No startup screen or anything, just black screen.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 12:01:29 AM »
Mistake is that you didn't removed avg completely.
Doing it from the control panel is not enough.
http://www.ache.nl > malware? > remove (old) av > avg

I called tech support and they are telling me I have to pay $179 for an engineer to fix it
No you did not call avast(!), you called a third party. Do not trust them, do not pay them, don't call them again!

I am not even able to go the the cmos
That can mean two things.
1]
You do not press the correct key(s) at the right moment.
2]
You got a hardware problem.

Read you motherboards manual and see what key(s) you need to press.

Supposedly I did not uninstalled AVG correctly and that is causing a conflict which is affecting my drives.
Yes it is correct you did not uninstall avg correctly/completely, but that has nothing to do with you not being able to enter the bios.

Please download THIS, put it on a bootable cd/dvd/usb. Boot from the device, run Farbar and ATTACH the log to your next post.

Let's see if we can find something.

edit:
Is it a short or a long beep?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 12:29:10 AM »
Ok, I looked into the manual to enter the bios, it was f1, but I figured out I had two video cards, so since I disconnected everything I decided to connect the monitor to the other video card input, which gave me the screen for the windows toolbars. I press ESC and the computer restarted normally, I have my computer back. It seems that either pressing f1 made it bypass the avast scan or that for some reason the software remove the order I had my video card in place.

Since I have my computer back, what do you suggest me to do right now? uninstall avast? uninstall avg completely? (how I do that since is no longer in the list of programs in control panel?)

I read that if you run the boot time scan there is some things you should not delete, but put them into the vault... is that correct/

Thanks for your help!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 01:08:03 AM »
Since I have my computer back, what do you suggest me to do right now? uninstall avast? uninstall avg completely? (how I do that since is no longer in the list of programs in control panel?)
Run AVG removal tool

avast! 2014: Scheduling a Boot-time scan  http://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB132#artTitle
Important:
Please be advised, that the Boot-time scan is an advanced and purposeful feature designed to be used only when there’s something bad going on the system, and usually takes some time before it finishes. That's why it cannot be scheduled to run every time the computer starts, but as needed only.