Author Topic: Any way to recover deleted files?  (Read 4151 times)

REDACTED

Any way to recover deleted files?
« on: August 10, 2014, 03:27:57 AM »
I'm using Free version 2014.9.0.2011 on Win 7. I was clicking on emails and deleting them when a box popped up from Avast and accidentally got clicked yes, before I even really looked at it. I think "delete" and "config" or "configuration" was in the message. Now, my Adobe CS4 programs won't load. I've done a system restore, no luck. Is the any way at all to get those files back, or even look at what those deleted files are? I truly hate the thought of reinstalling that entire suite, as Adobe programs are not known for being easy to reinstall. TIA for any help.
Jeanne

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Any way to recover deleted files?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 03:41:21 AM »
Are you sure they where deleted and not moved to chest (quarantine)
Using the chest  http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB21#

There are tools that will recover deleted files, never tried it ....... you find several if you google it

Here is one    http://filehippo.com/download_recuva

If there was a popup from avast then i guess it was infected?
If you have not rebooted since it happend, right click avast tray icon and show last popup
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:44:40 AM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 03:57:08 AM »
I looked in the chest, nothing recent is there. Lately Avast keeps wanting to "clean" my computer, offering up files to be deleted to improve performance. I always click NO, due to a previous bad experience, but this time thought I was clicking on something else. And darn it, I rebooted after the system restore, didn't know about finding the last popup. Is there a history of those?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 04:45:19 AM »

Snip> Lately Avast keeps wanting to "clean" my computer, offering up files to be deleted to improve performance.

Is this GrimeFighter asking to clean?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 07:30:25 AM »
Yes, it's grimefighter. But, the pop up I clicked on was different, from what I remember. No graphics, just a couple lines of text, I think. I know it said Avast, something about config, but I didn't really see it. Never would have clicked yes, but it came up when I expected another popup about deleting emails, and boom.

Running Recuva again now. Ran it once, when I came back to the computer, it had disappeared off the screen, no results.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 08:55:40 AM »
It doesn't sound like you are using the current version of Avast Free.  If you did a system restore, you may want to update ALL your software (this means all your software may have gone back to an older version when you did a system restore), including MS.  I would also do an uninstall (using the Avast Uninstaller Tool in Safe Mode) of Avast and a clean CUSTOM install with the current version and only check off the things you want to install (if you don't want grimefighter then don't check it off; if you don't want Chrome then don't check it off, etc.).

Reboot.

Update your virus definitions.  Set your Avast settings and run a scan.

If you continue to have problems, then we need to look at possible malware causing it.  Let us know how it goes.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 11:01:08 AM »
Sounds to me it was the browser cleanup util.
I saw a post earlier where CS4 was crippled by it.

It could be that you made a typo,
but if you really are using version 2014.9.0.2011 first thing to do is upgrade (or a fresh install) to (of) 2014.9.0.2021

The word "system" in system restore refers to Windows not to the entire pc and everything installed.
A better naming would be OS system restore.

If you want to have a option to restore everything, you should create a image of your drive(s).
Ofcourse you will need to update the image e.g. every week (depending on what you do with the system)
And have a daily backup of data.