Author Topic: Avast! severely disrupting browsing and stuttering all media playback  (Read 18118 times)

REDACTED

Hello folks  :)

Please keep in mind I'm not particularly tech-savvy and have included as much detailed info as that limited savvy permits.

Firstly... 

Avast! Free Antivirus
Version 2014.9.0.2021
Windows Vista Business (32 bit)
Malwarebytes & SuperAntiSpyware installed but both are disable from running at start-up and I use them solely as part of a thorough scan when I come to clean my system.
Norton came installed on laptop. Uninstalled it immediately and installed Avast. Have been an Avast user for the 8 odd years since.

Browsing problem...

Subsequent to a recent Avast! update my OS slowed dramatically.
Web browsing is like dial-up on some pages and won‘t fully load page layout, for other pages they just plain won’t load.
For example, some of the popular sites which won't load or won't load fully are BBC, FaceBook, Amazon, IMDB.
Moreover, Avast! now blocks some sites I’m sure are fine, mostly forums.

Observations...

Firefox has become a total memory hog at times.
This is the same for Internet Explorer and SlimBrowser.

Media playback problem...

Media playback is unsmooth and jittery with stutters/drags/lags every 5 or so seconds in all media players: Media Player Classic Home Cinema(MPC-HC), VLC Player, Windows Media Player. Same for flash player web content: YouTube, Vimeo, etc.

Observations...

While watching a downloaded film CPU for my media player punches the ceiling at 100 and keeps on dropping and spiking. Physical Memory is also much higher than normal, high 70’s.
Flash Player web content suffers the same fate.

What I have done to isolate cause...

Disabled Avast! Web Shield, Mail Shield, and File System Shield.
No difference. Also noticed AvastSvc.exe and Avastui.exe still running in processes.
Then,
I took it a stage further and disabled Avast! at Start-Up and unchecked ‘Enable Avast! Self-defence module’. Rebooted. Noticed Avastui.exe no longer running in processes, but AvastSvc.exe was. Ended AvastSvc.exe process and the process ends yet a few seconds later instantly reappears. Can’t seem to kill it.

Observations...

Browsing is fine when Avastui.exe isn’t running. All pages load double-quick and open fully.
Media playback is now smooth, fluid.
While watching a downloaded film MPC-HC's CPU is around 50% and overall Physical Memory is around 40%, this is typical for my OS when there are no applications open and running aside from a media player.

By dint of elimination it would be fair to presume Avastui.exe is causing the issue.
Have other folks reported similar problems?
What does Avastui.exe do exactly?
How can I fix or work around this?

Thank you for reading my post

usersurname

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast! severely disrupting browsing and stuttering all media playback
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 10:47:23 PM »
Try a repair of avast and let us know if things changed.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 05:58:09 PM »
Tried the repair as suggested.
Nothing has changed, same problems.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 06:08:08 PM »
ui is short for user interface.

Let's make sure there is nothing unusual running on your system.
Follow the instructions and attach the logs to your next post please:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

If nothing unusual is found, at least it will rule out possible causes.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 06:09:51 PM »
Avastui.exe is the avast! User Interface.
Since I also use avast! free and do quite a few things with videos, I wonder what else you have installed that might be causing the problem.
I have no delays using avast! and watching, producing and uploading videos to YouTube.
I also have no problems viewing videos from other sources.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 01:25:46 AM »
In future please use the attach function and not copy paste, Thankyou.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 02:16:08 AM »
Many apologies for the copy/paste.

Here are the logs as attachments.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 02:37:53 AM »
Thanks for rectifying that :) one of the malware guys will be along a bit later to review your logs.

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Ambulanta MyCity Forum - ASAP Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 01:44:29 PM »
Hello,

Sorry for waiting...

Note: Apon launching the FRST tool, wait for the tool to preform the self-update!

1. Open notepad and copy/paste the text present inside the code box below.
To do this highlight the contents of the box and right click on it. Paste this into the open notepad.
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to the operating system

Code: [Select]
Start
Hosts:
HKU\S-1-5-21-3564082515-202371471-1491561279-1000\Software\Classes\.exe: exefile => "%1" %* <===== ATTENTION!
HKU\S-1-5-21-3564082515-202371471-1491561279-1000\Software\Classes\exefile: "%1" %* <===== ATTENTION!
HKU\S-1-5-21-3564082515-202371471-1491561279-1000\...\Run: [fsm] => [X]
HKU\S-1-5-21-3564082515-202371471-1491561279-1000\...\MountPoints2: {bbb0d05c-16c8-11dd-a8f9-001b240ffa75} - G:\LaunchU3.exe
FF Homepage: https://www.startpage.com/
FF Extension: Ant Video Downloader - C:\Users\Andrew Callister\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\28t0c32x.default\Extensions\anttoolbar@ant.com [2014-08-02]
EmptyTemp:
C:\Users\Andrew Callister\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\28t0c32x.default\Extensions\anttoolbar@ant.com
End

2. Save notepad as fixlist.txt to your Desktop.
NOTE: => It's important that both files, FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

3. Run FRST/FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needed a restart please make sure you let the system to restart normally and let the tool completes its run after restart.

The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach it to your reply.
Note: If the tool warned you about the outdated version please download and run the updated version.

1. Please download ComboFix by sUBs () from here and save it to your Desktop.
If you are unsure how ComboFix works, read this guide.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Temporarily disable your AntiVirus program, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may interfere with Combofix.
If you are unsure how to do this please read this or this Instruction.

Instructions how to disable avast:
• Right click on the avast! system tray icon () in the lower right corner of the screen and scroll up to avast! shield controls;
• In the menu that appears, choose Disable Permanently. When you are prompted to turn off security, click Yes.

Note:  Do not forget to turn back on this option after the cleaning by choosing avast! shield controls > Enable all shield options.

3. Run ComboFix. Then, on disclaimer window, click I Agree! button.

- ComboFix will check if there is a newer version of ComboFix available.
Click Yes if prompted to download.

-If Recovery Console is not installed, ComboFix will offer download & installation.
Click Yes to allow ComboFix to install Recovery Console.
- ComboFix will scan your computer in stages, total of 50 stages.
Do not mouse-click around while ComboFix is running.
- If malware is detected, ComboFix will begin with its removal, and may need to restart Windows.
Note:If you see a message like "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion" just restart your computer.

4. When the tool is finished, it will produce a log report for you. (typical location: C:\ComboFix.txt)
=> Attach log report (ComboFix.txt) back to topic.

ComboFix shall also create addition log (typical location: C:\Qoobox\ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt)
=> Please attach that report (ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt) as well.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 01:46:39 PM by magna86 »

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 11:52:55 PM »
Hello magna86 & all other folks  :)

My laptop has given me all kinds of bother recently.
It doesn't have a power button and I have to short it with a paperclip to start up.
That is some of the reason why this reply comes well over a month since the last post in my thread.
Please accept my apologies, your assistance hasn't been wasted.

And so...

Thank you for the script magna. Much appreciated for taking the time out to do that for me.
I just ran FRST and ComboFix and the requested logs are attached.
By the by, I didn't get a ComboFix quarantined files log, only the standard log report.

Additionally, my Avast! tray icon vanished and I can't seem to get it back. I tried unchecking then checking Show Avast! Tray Icon but no joy. If anyone can help I'd be grateful?

Thank you again for the help thus far.

usersurname

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 07:37:06 PM »
Hello folks  :)

Would a mod or member with privileges kindly PM magna86 and ask if he/she could take a wee look at the requested logs in my previous post? I'd be very grateful.

Update...

Since the script fix, flash player content and browsing has greatly improved all-round, nonetheless, media playback in MPC, VLC, etc is still as it was: Unsmooth, stuttering and laggy.

Reading through many tech boards and blogs this past week I have come across umpteen former Avast! users who were left little choice but to switch to a different AV because the 2014 version had sucked the performance rate out of their OS; firing CPU all over the shop, hogging loads of extra memory, and in essence, simply interfering in the background.

This was reported on old machines & OS's and new machines & OS's.
It does seem like compatibility is a sudden big issue for plenty of users where there wasn't one beforehand.
The aforementioned is a mere recounting of what I've read, it's certainly not a denouncement of the Avast! team.

Correspondingly, I noted that many of the users who had made an untroubled switch over to a different AV had done so with Bitdefender.
I have yet to try it because I want to sort this media playback problem and stick with Avast!, though, if I cannot sort it out, I will give Bitdefender a go first due to the positive feedback and its lightweight application.

Perhaps that's the way to go. Try another AV and return to Avast! at a future date when a brand-new version is released.

Thank you for reading my post.

usersurname

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 07:22:41 PM »
Hello,

There was a time lag in posts (reply) so I stopped to follow the topic. The posted logs are worthless (duo system time changes) so I shall need a fresh diagnostic logs.

Step#1

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool () by Farbar and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

Step#2

Please download GMER, AntiRootkit tool from the link below and save it to your Desktop:

Gmer download link
Note: file will be random named

Double-clicking to run GMER.
  • Wait for initial scan to finish - if there is any query, click No;
  • Click Scan button and wait until the full scan is complete;
  • Click Save ... - save the report to the Desktop (named Gmer1 );

• Right-click wherever in the GMER's window and select Options > 3rd party - click the Scan button;
  • Please wait until the full scan is complete;
  • Click Save ... button and save report to Desktop (named Gmer2 );
    note: time scan for Gmer2 log may take some time

• Click the >>> and select Autostart card;
  • After quick scan, click Copy button;
  • Open notepad and Paste text. Save report to the Desktop (named Gmer3 )
> Attach here all Gmer logreports. (Gmer1; Gmer2 and Gmer3)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 07:25:38 PM by magna86 »

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 10:08:01 PM »
Hello magna86  :)

Thanks for getting back to this thread.

Just had GMER totally cripple my OS.
It ran the first of the three scans quick, then on the second scan it froze at around 20 minutes in and as a consequence froze my entire OS. CPU stuck at 100% then I couldn't even open task manager anymore.
I managed to save the log up until that point which took a good 10 minutes.
Leaving it be for another 10 odd minutes and it wouldn't unfreeze and I couldn't close GMER for love nor money.
Attempted to shut down and it cleared all the icons from my desktop but stuck on my background pic for over 40 minutes, fan blowing like mad, just in pain.
Thought my lappy was about to die.
Had no choice and pulled the plug.

Both FRST logs requested are attached.
Full Gmer1 log attached & Gmer2 log until it crashed attached.
Seeing they're incomplete I'd guess they won't be of much use.

Don't want to use GMER again mate. Heart in the mouth stuff that was.

Please advise the next best thing?

usersurname

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 10:52:29 AM »
Hi,

Do not worry for GMER. It is a powerfull ARK tool and thus behavior sometimes is normal. Thus I'll shall need one more ARK check;

Download TDSSKiller  and save it to your desktop

Execute TDSSKiller.exe by doubleclicking on it.
Confirm "End user Licence Agreement" and "KSN Statement" dialog box by clicking on Accept button.
  • Under Additional options check the boxes next to:
    - Verify Driver Digital Signature;
    - Detect TDLFS file system
    - Use KSN to scan objects
  •   Press Start Scan
  •   If Suspicious object is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.
  •   If Malicious objects are found, select Cure.
Once complete, a log will be produced at the root drive which is typically C:\ ,for example, C:\TDSSKiller.<version_date_time>log.txt

Please post the contents of that log in your next reply.

This shall target some leftovers and clean some junk ...

1. Open notepad and copy/paste the text present inside the code box below.
To do this highlight the contents of the box and right click on it. Paste this into the open notepad.
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to the operating system

Code: [Select]
CloseProcesses:
FF Homepage: https://startpage.com/eng/?
FF Extension: Ant Video Downloader - C:\Users\Andrew Callister\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\28t0c32x.default\Extensions\anttoolbar@ant.com [2014-09-28]
Hosts:
S3 catchme; \??\C:\Users\ANDREW~1\AppData\Local\Temp\catchme.sys [X]
EmptyTemp:
C:\Users\Andrew Callister\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\28t0c32x.default\Extensions\anttoolbar@ant.com

2. Save notepad as fixlist.txt to your Desktop.
NOTE: => It's important that both files, FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

3. Run FRST/FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needed a restart please make sure you let the system to restart normally and let the tool completes its run after restart.

The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach it to your reply.
Note: If the tool warned you about the outdated version please download and run the updated version.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 04:53:24 PM »
Hello magna86  :)

Thanks for the quick reply. Most grateful.

TDSSKiller log attached.

In respect to the script fix, I didn't run it because it looks the same as a section in the last script you wrote me, wherein, after I ran that fix it deleted Startpage which is my default browser and homepage, and Ant Tool Bar which is my preference for an internet video grabber.

As a result, I reset Startpage as my homepage and simply downloaded the Ant Tool Bar add-on from Mozilla's add-on page. The Ant Tool Bar is currently, and was previously the latest up-to-date version.
Most importantly, neither make any difference to the unsmoothe, stuttering media playback issue which is the sole bother I have now. avastui.exe was, and still is causing this.

From your perspective could you briefly explain what the problem is with Startpage and Ant Tool Bar?

Thanks once again for your assistance so far.

usersurname.