Author Topic: Avast Stops keyboard, messes up firefox  (Read 2045 times)

REDACTED

Avast Stops keyboard, messes up firefox
« on: August 12, 2014, 02:48:10 AM »
Hello all,

I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I'm new here so I'm not quite sure of the layout on the forum yet. Anyhow, I know a lot about computers and have been doing some work on the side for several people in our area. Recently, I have come across a problem twice in the past week in which Avast and Windows 7 seem to be the common denominator. The first was a nice Dell desktop with Windows 7 ultimate and Avast both installed. The most important problem was that the keyboard ceased to work. Some keys worked, some keys didn't, while other keys would open up Windows help, file browser, or type in a different letter than they were labled.  The second problem was that all of the text in firefox became really, really, small to the point of being impossible to read even with a magnifying glass. I scanned for viruses with both Avast and Spybot Search and Destroy but failed to find anything of signifigance. I simply told them that they needed to buy a new computer. The second case was with a Windows 7 home premium laptop that also has avast installed. The owners recently downloaded an avast update, and now the text in their gmail in internet explorer is impossible to read and their backspace key isn't working. Would an avast update do this to a PC?

Thanks in advance,
Nbiser

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast Stops keyboard, messes up firefox
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 03:01:43 AM »
if you want a check, follow instructions   https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
attach Malwarebytes and Farbar recovery scan tool logs   

then essexboy will take a look when he is online tomorrow

and SpyBot is usless ..... it was good back in the early days of malware but todays top dog is Malwarebytes

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 03:12:15 AM »
if you want a check, follow instructions   https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
attach Malwarebytes and Farbar recovery scan tool logs   

then essexboy will take a look when he is online tomorrow

and SpyBot is usless ..... it was good back in the early days of malware but todays top dog is Malwarebytes

Thanks for the tip! Spybot was one of the first anti-malware programs that I ever got my hands on so it will be interesting switching to a new scanner.

Nbiser

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 04:35:01 PM »
hey if you still need help please follow the guide pondus provide for you. and as pondus said spybot is not good anymore it can't keep up with the malware out there today so replace it with malwarebytes is a much better option.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM