Author Topic: Benefit of running AppLocking service ?  (Read 1957 times)

REDACTED

Benefit of running AppLocking service ?
« on: August 22, 2014, 09:21:03 AM »
Thanks for the great app for Android.
Is it necessary to run the AppLocking service all the time, even though I am not using Avast to lock any apps ?
I have disabled it from inside Avast settings, but the service still runs.

What are the uses for a persisitent UpdateService, MessageScannerService and Webshield service ?
My internet through 3G or Wifi is on only for very short periods over the day - would it be more efficient to just start and run the service once Wifi or 3G is switched on? then the service could shut down once internet is off ?
Message scanner service - is it possible to just scan the incoming message once an incoming message event is detected, instead of running a service 24 hrs a day ?
Update service - what does it update ? definitions ? I have disabled the automatic update of definitions, and do it manually. in this case should this service still be running ?

Someone might ask what I have against running a few services - they probably drain very little battery or RAM.
I am not sure if that is true, but on demand services seem to make more sense to me.
any explanations will help me understand.
thanks

REDACTED

Re: Benefit of running AppLocking service ?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 06:23:50 AM »
Any answers about the running services, which are apparently not of use ?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 06:41:02 AM »
Today I see a total of 6 services running
AppLockingService
AdvisorScanService
WebshieldService
UpdateService
OnDemandScanner
MessageScanner

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »
AppLockingService triggers PIN security activities, not only application locking. It is running in backround (so you can see it, but for most time is in sleep mode).
AdvisorScanService - its purpose is to scan addons in new or updated applications, again, most of the time it is running in backround.
WebShieldService - very small one, just watches and scan URLs for malware or phishing (if turned on).
updateService - yes, this is for definitions, when turned off no regular check will be done (but is more safe to keep it running than kill it).
OnDemandScanner - this triggers scan in case of new application installation or update - you can turn it off in shields settings (is recommended to keep it running).
MessageScanner - service which scans incoming SMS messages - you can also turn it off in shield settings.