Author Topic: Avast detected Windows Update as malicious  (Read 25955 times)

Offline nana3

Avast detected Windows Update as malicious
« on: August 12, 2014, 07:37:33 PM »
Latest Avast Free. 

1 update failed on today's patch Tuesday, believe it pertains to Microsoft.NET Framework.  Was put in chest.  I cannot remove it, exclude it or anything.  Just stays there in the chest.

Win3:Evo-gen (susp)

Please fix it asap!  Thanks. 

REDACTED

Re: Avast detected Windows Update as malicious
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 07:41:34 PM »
Same thing happened with to me; it won't allow me to install the update.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 07:44:42 PM »
no .... suspicious ..... Win3:Evo-gen (susp) = Suspicious

You can report it using one of these options......you may add a link to this topic in case they reply here

You can upload files and report issues to avast  here : http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php  (select subject according to Your case)

You can use mail
send to virus@avast.com in a password protected zip file
mail subject:  False Positive / undetected sample (select subject according to your case)
zip password:  infected

or you can send files from avast chest
how to use the chest.    http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB21

Next time, please use Viruses and worms forum section for posting about Virus/False Positive     https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=4.0

you may need to add exlusion   http://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?q=exlusion#searchForm

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:47:06 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 07:44:54 PM »
Same here... avast really out did itself this time.

Ant then you know if you look into the results and look under virus, it says "no virus".  Between this and the "threat detected" bug and the numerous bugs that have gone unfixed with the software ever since 9 came out and the serious silence from Avast on any issues and no new versions in a while... and the poor av comparative scores... I really have to start wondering if this software is even doing anything anymore.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:01:54 PM by dprout69 »

Offline CaptainLeonidas

• Security rests between the display and the chair.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 07:58:08 PM »
no .... suspicious ..... Win3:Evo-gen (susp) = Suspicious

You can report it using one of these options......you may add a link to this topic in case they reply here

You can upload files and report issues to avast  here : http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php  (select subject according to Your case)

You can use mail
send to virus@avast.com in a password protected zip file
mail subject:  False Positive / undetected sample (select subject according to your case)
zip password:  infected

or you can send files from avast chest
how to use the chest.    http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB21

Next time, please use Viruses and worms forum section for posting about Virus/False Positive     https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=4.0

you may need to add exlusion   http://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?q=exlusion#searchForm

In normal situations I would work with this. However this involves an update for .NET 3.5.1 for Windows 7.
The files in the chest are all .tmp files aka unzipped files to be used for the eventual update itself.

So normally good advice to report it as you wrote but this time it involves 51 *.tmp files. Hardly reportable as it is.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:02:08 PM by CaptainLeonidas »
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)
When installing Avast! be sure to use the custom install... never the default!

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 08:01:50 PM »
Hi CaptainLeonidas,
   What does that mean; should we just wait for Avast! to update their definitions?

Offline CaptainLeonidas

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 08:02:49 PM »
I am waiting till they (Avast) update their definitions.

Virus Definitions Current version: 140812-0
Program Current version: 2014.9.0.2021
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:05:05 PM by CaptainLeonidas »
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 08:03:21 PM »
Hi CaptainLeonidas,
   What does that mean; should we just wait for Avast! to update their definitions?

Yes Avast needs to update their defintions... this is not applicable to virus's and worm's section... this is a major bug

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 08:03:59 PM »
first option can be used to report without uploading file ...... and give link to topic, then avast lab is notified

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 08:08:41 PM »
I'll wait for the definitions update...but, apologies if this is a silly question, is it okay to be online without the failed Windows Update? (All the others installed successfully.) 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 08:11:10 PM »
I'll wait for the definitions update...but, apologies if this is a silly question, is it okay to be online without the failed Windows Update? (All the others installed successfully.)
i would say yes ..... Microsoft could have waited with the release and you would not have known about them
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:34:41 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 08:11:18 PM »

You're fine... you should actually be able to just take your computer offline, turn off avast, hit try again on windows update (the files have already downloaded) and it should install correct?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:13:49 PM by dprout69 »

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 08:11:47 PM »
I got this issue too, first time I ever seen Avast mark windows update as malicious

Offline CaptainLeonidas

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 08:12:59 PM »

The update can be re-installed.
If it fails to show you can always "trick" Windows into rescanning for updates.

Run -> type: Services.msc -> Stop: Windows Update service -> delete the update folder: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution -> Start: Windows Update service.
Recheck for update as always.

PS: You will loose your update history

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 08:13:53 PM »
I turned off Avast and ran Windows update it installed fine. Running avast quick scan on it now.