Author Topic: Avoid people complaining about battery life, resource hog, wakelocks...  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
We know that File Shield will be overkilling (specially in read/write operations).
New AMS beta is claiming that 1 shield is disabled and giving orange (yellow) color or alert.
Please, reconsider it (before it's too late  ;D).
The best things in life are free.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avoid people complaining about battery life, resource hog, wakelocks...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 10:08:09 AM »
Hi,

trust me that write operations are just fine. If there is a bug somewhere, we have to fix it, but the principle is just fine. File Shield doesn't hold any wakelocks and doesn't consume much resources (although that is dependent on the structure of your storage), battery life might be a question, sure, but if you have an app that is constantly writing files to your storage, it probably consumes more battery than the shield.

Filip

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avoid people complaining about battery life, resource hog, wakelocks...
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 02:06:54 PM »
Hi,

trust me that write operations are just fine. If there is a bug somewhere, we have to fix it, but the principle is just fine. File Shield doesn't hold any wakelocks and doesn't consume much resources (although that is dependent on the structure of your storage), battery life might be a question, sure, but if you have an app that is constantly writing files to your storage, it probably consumes more battery than the shield.

Filip
Filip, I have to disagree. Battery life will be an issue for sure. I see no reason to scan such a lot of operations with "safe" files. Also intensive archive operations (like online nandroid, backups, file move/copy, etc.) will be much more slower and consume much more resources (in my opinion, waste resources). To be convinced, well, the File Shield must be restricted to a very small set of files that could bring danger to device. Otherwise, we will see complains about the resources. Well, this is my personal opinion.
The best things in life are free.