Author Topic: Url blocking file  (Read 5005 times)

englishmen

Url blocking file
« on: July 29, 2005, 06:34:49 PM »
I wish to add quite a lot of sites to url blocking could someone please tell me where the actual file that the list is saved on so i can just add them to that rather then add them thru Avast, cheers.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Url blocking file
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 07:05:50 PM »
As far as I'm aware, this can't be achieved easily in avast and I believe your hosts file (or browser or firewall) is probably the best location to do this kind of blocking.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

aeg

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 03:52:58 AM »
My computer is a family pc therefore using the hosts file is not very practical because it doesn't print a message so they don't know what has happened.

Can you please try and explain how to edit the blocking list manually

Thanks in advance,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 05:15:00 AM »
I wish to add quite a lot of sites to url blocking could someone please tell me where the actual file that the list is saved on so i can just add them to that rather then add them thru Avast, cheers.
You will have to edit avast4.mdb file. But avast! gurus warned that it's not safe to do.
Right now, no other way to block urls than using avast! WebShield GUI of settings.
If you want another freeware solution, try PeerGuardian and add your own list of blocked sites (http://optusnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/peerguardian/pg2-050715-nt.exe)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 12:33:09 PM »
I suggest to buy NetNanny and use it.