Author Topic: Not protected from Enhance Empire Spyware  (Read 2375 times)

REDACTED

Not protected from Enhance Empire Spyware
« on: August 21, 2014, 02:12:18 AM »
G'day

Recently did a KMPlayer update, and wasn't paying attention and must of agreed to install one of its bundled apps that has ads/spyware in it.

Anyway, found Enhance Empire was installed as my browser (Chrome) would underline words and deliver ads etc. As I'm not new to spyware, this gave me a feeling I was "infected". It kinda hand me think for a minute why do I bother with Avast if it doesn't protect me even when agreeing to install some spyware software as part of some other software.

It should have flagged it either while the spyware was installing itself (regardless that I agreed to it). Or after it was installed, when Chrome was launched it detects it...

None of this happened with Avast, so I had to manually remove the spyware. So makes me think what is the point of Avast if it didn't save me in this case? And resulted in some other spyware tool to remove it.

It would be good if Avast could update its defs to at least detect it and alert you in its system monitor or google extension.

Otherwise what is the point?! Does not convince one to want to pay for your premium products if your free product is pretty fail. :(
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:13:57 AM by Arnold4 »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Not protected from Enhance Empire Spyware
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 02:33:13 AM »
What you had was a PUP ( potentially unwanted program ) so you need to enable PUP scanning in the avast web shield and file shield settings.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 03:00:46 AM »
Damn why wasn't this enabled by default ? :(

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 03:32:36 AM »
Because of the possibility of legitimate programs being detected, unwise users might not understand if PUP is good or bad.