Author Topic: Adding Exclusions  (Read 8415 times)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Adding Exclusions
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 08:01:31 AM »
Just checked. There is nothing in the sanbox window.

Edit: Should there be anything in there?
Only if you've got avast! automatically running as sandboxed. 

Right-click the the browser icon you use on the desktop (assuming you've a PC or laptop) and select 'Run in sandbox'.  Steps are the same for running avast!, not that you need to, as Google Chrome was used as an example.  You should now see the same thing as in the attached .png file if you run Chrome or other browser as sandboxed.  Best setting is to manually select only 'Run in sandbox' when you need to, which is 95% + of the time here.  Use care as to what programs, if any, always run in a sandbox.

Was looking for a setting that set the icon to 'Always run in sandbox' as that would/could prevent permanent changes to settings in avast!; if it were set to 'always run in sandbox' and could be a possible source of your issues.  Sandboxing a program isolates it from the real/main operating system and prevents unwanted changes to both the sandboxed program and the real operating system as one is kept isolated from the other. 

Clear that avast! is not set to 'Always run in sandbox' from what you said.

**************************************************************************************************
**************************************************************************************************
Advantages to running a program sandboxed:

Example:  Your browser, Firefox, is attacked by ZeroAccess, and the malicious payload is deployed within it.  However, since Firefox is not in the actual real operating system environment, but running in a virtual one created by the sandbox, neither the real Firefox or your os will be affected/changed after the virtual Firefox is closed and the malicious contents of the sandbox is then emptied/cleared.  BTW, setting the sandbox to automatically dump all contents when using a browser/closing a browser will help control internet junk accumulation over time as it can be trivially tossed when done.

Was your version of avast! gotten from here?  http://www.avast.com/download-thank-you.php?product=ISE-ONLINE&locale=en-ww  Decline the online installer and click the full offline installer found just under step #3 if you think you need it.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 03:54:01 PM »

Only if you've got avast! automatically running as sandboxed................................I dont!

Right-click the the browser icon you use on the desktop (assuming you've a PC or laptop) and select 'Run in sandbox'.......................Done. Chrome is now in sandbox. 

Steps are the same for running avast!, not that you need to, as Google Chrome was used as an example.  You should now see the same thing as in the attached .png file if you run Chrome or other browser as sandboxed.  Best setting is to manually select only 'Run in sandbox' when you need to.............are you saying that I should alter the setting to 'Run in sanbox' every time I want to access the net?

Was looking for a setting that set the icon to 'Always run in sandbox' as that would/could prevent permanent changes to settings in avast!..........Always run in sandbox is available when I right click on the avast icon.

if it were set to 'always run in sandbox' and could be a possible source of your issues................It is not set to 'always'. 

Was your version of avast! gotten from here?  http://www.avast.com/download-thank-you.php?product=ISE-ONLINE&locale=en-ww ..................Yes

Decline the online installer and click the full offline installer found just under step #3 if you think you need it............Can I reinstall and do this?

I find this very interesting mchain, but don't worry, I have no intention of dragging it out and wasting your time. :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:55:55 PM by blowtorch73 »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 10:01:14 AM »
True, time waits for no one.  So the best use of time is spent doing something useful.
  • Point one was just on a hunch.  You don't want avast! running sandboxed.
  • Point two is saying to manually select 'run in sandbox' whenever possible.  Should not ever select 'Always run in sandbox' unless you don't care about not being able to save bookmarks or favorites or not being able to update the browser to the latest secure version.  Just these two operations alone is reason enough not to ever select 'always run in sandbox' as any changes in virtual are not allowed to take in the real version on the disk.  So, saving bookmarks in a strictly run sandbox will not go to the real browser unless you specify it to.  avast! does have this option specified, just so you know.  But, then again, there is the issue of updating the browser program itself when it is always sandboxed.  Unticking the 'always run in sandbox' may or may not allow the browser to run in normal mode, and there's always that risk when you do that.
  • Point three is just to point out that that option is available.  Does not mean you should.  Always select to manually run your browser ('Run in sandbox') and set the sandbox to empty its' contents when the browser is closed.  Internet junk and clutter will vanish automatically if you choose to set it this way.  Ever wonder why a new computer hard disk volume grows over time?  Internet junk and clutter get written to it and that, over time, amounts to a bit of disk space taken.  Regularly dumping the sandbox contents pretty much eliminates that problem.  Just be sure to save any files or data you wish to keep first before closing your browser.
  • Point four comes about only because I (we) cannot see your system.
  • Point five is see point one.
  • Point six is providing an option you may not have known about.
  • Point seven is use the full offline installer at all times except when there are issues with the full installer not installing properly and the last resort way to resolve installation issues is to use the web installer.  If no issues using the full installer, certainly you can reinstall and use it.  (Always a good idea to save your downloaded full copies in case you need them later)  Also use this before installing the fresh new file:  http://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility   Here, follow all instructions to the letter.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 11:19:03 AM »
Thank you for your detailed and easily understood reply mchain. I am sure that, apart from myself, others will benefit from the information you have provided.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 11:25:48 PM »
Glad to help.