Author Topic: Grimefighter and Java + Adobe Updates  (Read 3457 times)

REDACTED

Grimefighter and Java + Adobe Updates
« on: August 18, 2014, 12:15:02 AM »
??? I'm Scared!

HELP! I just read above that GrimeFighter is Not part of Avast?

It is on my Avast scan page and absolutely looks like it is a utility of Avast.
It reports it will get rid of Unnecessary Apps (but it will not state what they are?), speed up  my PC by disabling OS features (amazing because I look into things like this and again I cannot find out what is to be disabled)?
Also on this page I have a choice to "Analyze again" check my "Settings" and view "Your License"....it absolutely looks like it is part of Avast.

I NEVER downloaded this program, (and I un-check other side junk that try to automatically install for me..NO).

DOUBLE SCARY: I do not jump to install Adobe and Java updates until the antivirus program I trust states that it is a valid update.

>Which brings up the question: Does Avast actually look into Adobe and Java updates or does it just accept them without verification??

It was very out of character for me but I accepted a Java update that was ready to install which turned out to be VERY BAD.  Thankfully I knew what to do but most ppl would not have.

The Avast program is updated all the time, I don't understand why it has not corrected this invasive program?

You need to tell people about this situation, at the very least, disable it in an update.

Should I uninstall Avast and worry that this unauthorized program is still on my computer or????

I don't know what to do.

Please tell me how to handle this situation.
[/size]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 05:55:53 AM by kezlor »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Grimefighter and Java + Adobe Updates
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 12:49:51 AM »
It depends what you mean with avast.
The company or the av.

GrimeFighter is a product of the avast company, but it is not part of the av.
It is a separate tool/util, you can buy.

Yes, you did downloaded it if you did not choose a custom installation/update for the av.
If you don't want it:
Control panel > software > avast > change > change > remove the checkmark in front of GrimeFighter.

The software updater checks for version changes on the official sites and compare them with what version you have installed.
Please explain what you mean with "I accepted a Java update that was ready to install which turned out to be VERY BAD"

I hope this information at least helps you on your way.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 05:51:47 AM »
Hi,
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. :)

It depends what you mean with avast.
The company or the av.          I'm referring to the Antivirus Program-Avast.

GrimeFighter is a product of the avast company, but it is not part of the av.
It is a separate tool/util, you can buy.      I did not purchase GrimeFighter.

Yes, you did downloaded it if you did not choose a custom installation/update for the av.     Thinking about it I might have trusted that Avast would be safe to download without doing a custom install.  At the time I would not have thought a program other then the antivirus software would be installed.   

If you don't want it:
Control panel > software > avast > change > change > remove the checkmark in front of GrimeFighter.
I'm not certain what you mean by: Control panel > software > avast...... etc.  I went into Programs and Features but it is not a separate program, only Avast is listed.
I went into System Config and it is not listed under Services or StartUp; also went into Computer Management> Services and it is not listed.  Only Avast is listed.

As far as the actual Avast program under Tools I do not have it checked to run. (I had changed this earlier today when I was in panic mode) 
I just pulled up the Avast Home Status page and on it  that "blue guy with the mustache" states I can "free up" 1.9GB of space; earlier today when I wrote in to the Forum it had listed  814MB could be cleaned up. ->so it is still running>     I

Please explain what you mean with "I accepted a Java update that was ready to install which turned out to be VERY BAD".  It was on another computer and I clicked on the little Java icon that resides near my clock when there are updates available. That computer uses a different antivirus and a warning came up on my screen....I am not exactly sure but think it was about malicious code? idk...I did what was suggested and also disconnected from the internet. Then I wanted to see if anything was in the Java console and found  a gateway and software that should not have been there. I removed them to a thumb-drive in case I wanted to look at it on a dummy computer. :D

I hope this information at least helps you on your way.
....funny..

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 05:58:39 AM by kezlor »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 03:35:40 PM »
I went into Programs and Features but it is not a separate program, only Avast is listed.
Click on the change/remove button there. It will open a screen where you can select repair, remove, change. Select change, remove the checkmark in front of GrimeFighter and click ok. That will remove it.

GrimeFighter (and some other things) are opt-out when installing/updating avast.
I (and many others) say it should be opt-in, but there is nothing we can do about it and only hope avast will change it.