Author Topic: Gooooood Morning!  (Read 5302 times)

lees4

Gooooood Morning!
« on: July 30, 2005, 02:53:47 PM »
 :o I am using SBC yahoo DSL and avast is not scanning SBC my mail? Does it not scan Yahoo?  I thought it did but maybe I don't have something set right.  I am using version 46.691...

Thanks AVAST!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Gooooood Morning!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 03:02:24 PM »
Is this webbased or pop/smtp mail?
What email client are you using?
What OS?

lees4

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 03:08:43 PM »
Eddy, I believe it is POP/SMTP.....

lees4

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 03:09:19 PM »
Also using Windows XP Home Serv pk 2

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 03:11:13 PM »
Eddy, I believe it is POP/SMTP...
Make sure it is or not. This info is really needed to know before we can help you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 03:27:23 PM »
@ lees4
Yahoo for the most part is web based unless you pay for the POP3 service, I think you would know if you paid.
Do you view your email on-line with your browser?
Or do you download it and if so what email program do you use?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lees4

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 03:37:23 PM »
David, heres what I can tell you.... when I open my mail through SBC yahoo, SBC scans my  messages with their built in Anti Virus which is Norton 2005.  I would like Avast to scan it instead.  If I use Outlook express which I also have a accoun,t Avast! scans it. So I guess what I am tring to do is have Avast scan all my mail. is this possible?  If it sounds like I am confused it's because I am.... sorry for the ignorance!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 03:39:46 PM »
If I use Outlook express which I also have a accoun,t Avast! scans it. So I guess what I am tring to do is have Avast scan all my mail.
If you can create an Outlook Express account I think you can scan it... Am I wrong? Specially if you use XP.

You can set the Standard Shield to scan all open/create/modified file and it will be scanned to, when the email is downloaded.
The best things in life are free.

lees4

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 04:00:28 PM »
Okay.. I think I got it...In the Avast! on access scanner (in the Internet mail tab on the left) it does not show my SBC Yahoo mail being scanned but,,,,,, the Avast!standard shield shows that my mail  has been scanned!  Thats what was confusing me. When I open mail with outlook express, the Avast! (internet mail) tab shows the mail being scanned .... and when I open mail with SBC yahoo, the standard shield scans it. Does this sound right?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2005, 04:09:58 PM »
when I open my mail through SBC yahoo, SBC scans my  messages with their built in Anti Virus which is Norton 2005.
Sorry that doesn't answer my questions:
- Do you view your email on-line with your browser?
- Or do you download it and if so what email program do you use?

I too am ignorant, about SBC Yahoo, I don't use it or know how it works, hence the questions. Is SBC Yahoo an email client, in the same way as OE is an email client.

If you can download your yahoo mail using OE then it will be similar to Hotmail, it is not directly scanned by the Internet Mail provider, but when the email is saved to your inbox or other location, it can be scanned by Standard Shield.

This however, doesn't give the same level of protection as an account that the email is checked before it gets to your inbox.e]
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 04:14:59 PM »
Yahoo is using TLS/SSL as far as i know...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 04:21:44 PM »
Okay.. I think I got it...In the Avast! on access scanner (in the Internet mail tab on the left) it does not show my SBC Yahoo mail being scanned but,,,,,, the Avast!standard shield shows that my mail has been scanned! Thats what was confusing me. When I open mail with outlook express, the Avast! (internet mail) tab shows the mail being scanned .... and when I open mail with SBC yahoo, the standard shield scans it. Does this sound right?

The Internet Mail provider only scans email that uses the POP3/SMTP/ICMP email protocols if SBC doesn't use that protocol, web based email doesn't (it uses the HTTP protocol). When it is downloaded using some form of  web to pop3 converter it may well be possible for it to be scanned but mostly (and especially if you manage to download it with OE) it wont be scanned by the Internet Mail provider.

If as RejZoR says Yahoo uses TLS/SSL avast can't scan this directly as it is secure encrypted email. You would need to use third party software to achieve this.

Examples of another email that requires this, so may be similar for you.
GMAIL SSL AVAST and STUNNEL
Gmail and Avast Providers
Solution: Using GMail with Avast and a SPAM filter
Redirecting multiple SSL accounts