Author Topic: 2014.9.0.2021 Host Unreachable during Virus Definitions Update  (Read 4107 times)

REDACTED

Hello! I'm just wondering if other users also have this kind of problem. I've been an Avast user for 10 years now but this is the only time I've encountered this problem with Avast. I think it first started during the early part of this year, when I tried to manually update my "Virus Definitions", which I often do once a week for the past decade. But ever since February or March 2014, I always get this error message of "Last encountered error: Host unreachable." And I couldn't update my virus definitions since then. I tried uninstalling and re-installing avast, but I still encountered the same problem. I didn't want to continuously use my laptop without having a fully protected and updated "working" anti-virus program. The last resort I just did an hour ago was to manually download the Virus Definitions Update at Avast's website and I just followed the on-screen instructions from then on. I was able to finally update the virus definitions, however, when I tried to manually update it from the program itself, I still get the same annoying error message for months now "Last encountered error: Host unreachable."

Is there any solution for this problem? I tried searching other websites or forums online that can provide more information/solutions on this matter, but the results were still the same.

REDACTED

Re: 2014.9.0.2021 Host Unreachable during Virus Definitions Update
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 08:02:16 AM »
Hi ebichan24 and welcome to the forum.  :)

What is your OS?

What product of Avast are you using?

When you installed Avast, did you uninstall it using the Avast Uninstaller Tool in Safe Mode then reboot prior to reinstalling it?  If not please use this tool:  http://rejzor.wordpress.com/avast-cleanup-tool/ - it is the Avast Uninstaller Tool with something to get rid of remnants.

What other security software do you have on this machine now and in the past (antivirus, firewall, resident and on-demand software) and how did you uninstall them?

How do you connect to the Internet?  Are you having problems with surfing or just updating with Avast?  Are you having any other machine problems?

Is there anything in your firewall (FW) that is blocking Avast?  What is your firewall?

Sorry for all the questions, but this will help us trouble-shoot better.  Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 03:15:15 PM »
@ ebichan24
Looking at the image, it appears to contradict itself - whilst it says 'Host Unreachable,' yet it is also saying that everything is 'Already up to date.' To do that it must have connected to something to compare your versions against any update available.

Also in the image it is listing the Server: name and URL, so I don't know how it would list that if unobtainable.

Given the date/time of your everything is up to date VPS and Program were/are the latest versions.

A bit Weird.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 03:44:14 PM »
Just want to say I have been having the same problem as Ebichan since around the end of July.  Avast not updating, either automatically or if I try to do it - same thing, always "Host Unreachable".  I am getting streaming updates and I also downloaded the update file from Avast and manually installed that one day, but that's it.

The past few days I'm getting a pop up box saying that Avast has been unable to update.  I hadn't even been getting that for 3-4 weeks, so that's an improvement.

I will post my own thread with specifics, but just wanted to comment here that the OP is NOT the only user experiencing problems with updating - something is wrong.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 06:00:54 AM »
Hello all.

Has a solution been found? I still have the same problem as you have been getting. Perhaps there is a new thread describing how to fix the problem? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 01:36:36 PM »
This thread has been dead for about 1.5 years.
If you want help, start your own thread and provide details.