Author Topic: Online Security add-on makes IE11 stop working when IPv6 enabled (fixed)  (Read 1494 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline roadrunner2

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
fixed problem (after several other failed attempts) by uninstall and reinstall.
***************************************************************************************************
Online Security add-on makes Internet Explorer 11 stop working on Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit when IPv6 is enabled. The same add-on works fine on Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit connected to same home network. After I enabled IPv6 on my modem/router using instructions from internet service provide, Internet Explorer 11 stopped working, but only on the Windows 8.1 box (which is 64 bit OS). The Windows 7 box (which is 32 bit OS) is happy running Internet Explorer 11 with Online Security add-on.

I got Internet Explorer 11 running on the Windows 8.1 box by disabling Online Security add-on.

The Action Center, problem details are below:

Source
Internet Explorer

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎8/‎24/‎2014 11:56 AM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path:   C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
Application Name:   iexplore.exe
Application Version:   11.0.9600.17239
Application Timestamp:   53d22ad9
Fault Module Name:   ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version:   6.3.9600.17114
Fault Module Timestamp:   53649e73
Exception Code:   c0000005
Exception Offset:   000000000004d91c
OS Version:   6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID:   1033
Additional Information 1:   c5ce
Additional Information 2:   c5cef47b29b538c5955223d3aba42214
Additional Information 3:   eda3
Additional Information 4:   eda3f1f2713094014f58bfb3e46d919c

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:   ab5a427c756c63971232edb730fb73f0 (85949341036)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:40:05 AM by roadrunner2 »